“Fantastic all round hotel!”

Hotel Sunnyside Newquay
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed September 1, 2013

14 of my friends and I stayed for a hen weekend. The staff were superb, couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is ideal for hen and stag parties and is very security conscious which is reassuring for a group of girls. Breakfast was good and location is ideal. If I had one suggestion for improvement / recommendation for visitors it's that there were 4 girls in our room and only 2 plug sockets which was a challenge for phone charging / hair drying, straightening and curling! Other than that, can't fault anything. I felt genuinely valued as a customer which is so rare these days. I'm writing this on my way home and I'm sad to be leaving!

8  Thank KJarvis83
ssh57, Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank-you very much Kat for your kind words. We're delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. We will look at the issue you experienced with the power points. I'm sure this is something we can resolve. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night while in Cornwall for business, and found:

- clean room, if quite small
- no towels, one provided if needed for £1 charge
- no toiletries, provided if needed at £3 charge
- was given a twin room despite having booked a double - the receptionist then sorted the issue by having housekeeping join the two small beds into a queen size
- paid £59 for a double room, booked on the same day
- breakfast was £5 and nothing special, small quantities
- I asked for coffee/porridge/scrambled eggs/cornflakes, which baffled the staff member as they have fairly set breakfatst menus and any requests that differs from the set menus seem to confuse them..??
- when provided with cornflakes, I asked the staff member for yoghurt and he told me that this would cost an extra £1 charge...this caused me to laugh in his face and tell him that I didn't mind paying, at which he must have felt quite ridiculous, so he let me have the yoghurt for free. I obviously have no issue with paying for what I ask for, but found it very comical that everything I asked for incurred an extra charge of some sort. At one point I realised I was short of a spoon, but decided not to ask for one in case they wanted to charge me £1 for it!!
- hostel was short staffed - only one staff member was present to serve breakfast and he was 5 mins late. Due to the number of people present, the one staff member couldn't cope, so the receptionist had to leave the front desk and help him deal with the guests waiting to be served breakfast
- if you stayed more than one night and wanted your room cleaned, you had to pay a £5 maid service charge??!! I've never heard of this before and found it comical frankly
- the general look/feel of the place is that fairly shabby, more in line with a hostel than a hotel. On the positive side, though, it was clean and neat
- price though is fairly high for the level of service provided, which is in line with that of a basic hostel
- the place was quiet, the bed comfortable, and I had a good night's sleep
- very good location, in the centre of Newquay and facing the sea

I wouldn't return here if I was travelling for business.
I probably would return if I was coming on holiday with friends and was prepared to be flexible about everything, although frankly with a bit of TripAdvisor surfing you can probably find better places at these prices, especially considering that £59 only covers the cost of the room and literally nothing else.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room if they have any available - the room I stayed in faced the back of the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
ssh57, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

A full and comprehensive review, thank-you.

Firstly, we are grateful for acknowledging our high levels of cleanliness, great location, and for the fact that you enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

We must apologise for the error with respect of the room configuration. Our standard rooms can be prepared as a twin or as a double. In this instance, as a last minute booking (made on the afternoon of arrival), we failed to update our system and the room was left prepared as a twin room. To clarify, our standard rooms offer a zip and link bed. This is opposed to simply ‘two single beds being pushed together’. The correct room type was indeed allocated, however, we failed to act upon your noted bed preference in time for the arrival. I understand that this matter was resolved quickly, however, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
The issues raised with our breakfast service have been discussed with the member of staff involved. We are sorry that there was any element of dissatisfaction.

Please be aware, the breakfast voucher entitled our guests to a choice of 3 set breakfasts. We note this point on the voucher itself, plus in all guest rooms, and on our website. In this instance, I understand a combination of breakfast offerings and additional drinks were requested. Whilst not strictly within the voucher entitlement, Liam, on duty at the time, duly obliged. So he genuinely feels any negative comment on our part is perhaps a little unfair.

We feel obliged to respectfully dispute the comment regarding staffing. On this particular day, Sally, our duty receptionist, briefly assisted Liam with service to ensure all guests received their breakfast in good time. The reception service was unaffected as the duty manager was able to cover the front desk. Please also note that Liam was on time for his shift, arriving 32 minutes before breakfast service.

The rate for a single guest in a private en-suite single room at Hotel Sunnyside is consistently amongst the cheapest options in central Newquay. In this instance, a standard twin/double room was booked at a rate based on 2 people sharing.

The mention of ‘TripAdvisor surfing’ is particularly noteworthy, being something we always encourage when booking a stay with us. We would not claim to really meet the needs of business guests; we market ourselves more so as a group accommodation specialist. And in this respect, whilst all feedback is gratefully received, we do feel several points raised in this review are without due consideration of the style of hotel we operate. We have previously detailed on TripAdvisor the fact that we mention hostel-style accommodation on our website- it is not something we are embarrassed to be tagged as. We would gladly highlight this more, however, we are restricted in doing so as we do not have the catering facilities that seasoned travellers expect from a genuine hostel.

Our hotel concept is advertised throughout our TripAdvisor management responses. Whilst we are sorry that you did not perhaps find our concept totally agreeable to an overnight stay on business, we have found it to be very popular with groups and couples looking for a fun, affordable stay.

Certain aspects, namely the oversight with the room configuration, mentioned in this review are solely the fault of the hotel. Other aspects, including our policy of charging a small amount for toiletries are, I strongly feel, are fairly advertised and would certainly have picked up from a quick ‘TripAdvisor surf’ prior to booking. We understand that our hotel is not for everyone, but we are confident that what we do, we do well. We would love to welcome you back again for a stay with friends.

Thank-you again for the review.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Cannot say enough about the staff and location of this hotel, Sandy and Aimee were brilliant with my girls, but all of the staff were very nice and helpful, the location is stunning, ignore the poor reviews on other websites, it is great value and I will return on my next visit to Newquay, if you read all the info sent, you get exactly what you pay for, extra's are extra as stated and if you order a quad room it is 4 bunk-beds as stated, what you don't appreciate is the view, it is stunning, thanks to all for making our few days in Newquay very nice!

Room Tip: Read all the info
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Danny M

Hi Danny.

Thank-you for your review. It's fantastic to hear you enjoyed a great stay with us. Your kind words regarding Sandy and Aimee will be passed on!

Thank-you also for acknowledging our concept and extras. As highlighted in another recent guest review, this is an aspect that can sometimes be missed. We sincerely do try to ensure all guests are informed accordingly. We accept it is somewhat different, but on the whole, it has proved popular :-)

We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed as a couple in a sea view room with double bed. Took our own boards which were kept in the hotel board room...staff were so friendly and hotel modern and well kept! I have stayed in ALOT of budget hotels in Newquay over the last 6 years to surf 4 days at a time and sunnyside is by far the best for its location, staff, its buzzing, and everything to be honest so im taking a group of 12 back in October! Great value for money and considering its central location its quiet!also no problem parking nearby on the roads...AMAZING!

2  Thank helenburtongow
ssh57, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank-you Helen :-) It was great to see you again last week and we can't wait to perhaps see you again in 2014?

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the budget sleep 4 bunkbed rooms, £70 a night in August school holiday, great value, very nice and helpful staff all round, perfect location for the beach and the shops/bars/restaurants !!!, if and would stop here again I would book a larger room with the sea view. Well worth the extra money...! Great breakfast for £5 per head, the add-ons are good too. Just have what you need... Tea/coffee tray £3, towels £1each, parking £3per night, breakfast £5 each plus anything you may have forgot to pack ie hair dryer, iron, tooth brush and paste etc. good supply... The bar is nice and clean and not open all night either so nice and quiet for family's who want an early night. Pool tables, space invaders, punch bag machines and a football table to play on... In all a very nice clean and safe hotel with very welcoming staff... Be back soon thanks all

1  Thank Russellhickey

Many thanks for this excellent and concise review Russell :-) We couldn't have summed up the hotel better ourselves!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very difficult to find, so make sure you print out the directions sent by the Hotel after you've booked a room.
Staff and manager/owner gave a very friendly welcome.
Comfortable bed and the breakfast was good but the single room was exceptionally small, not somewhere you'd want to spend any time in during the day.
However, good as a hotel for groups of friends..... not for singles

Room Tip: Get a double room even if you're travelling on your own.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kinswick2

Thank-you for this very concise review and thanks for acknowledging that we're a great choice for groups :-) Indeed our rooms are designed with the savvy, budget-concious traveller in mind and offer bright, clean and functional accommodation at a great price. If you'd like a bit more space on your next trip to Newquay, we have double rooms available from just £30 per night :-)

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was our 4th or 5th August Bank Holiday stay at the Sunnyside and we have yet to be dissapointed.

Being a group of 13 middle aged golfers who have been coming to Newquay and staying at various digs around the town for over 15 years we have now found the ideal place for us, perfectly situated on a seafront location and within a few metres walk to the town and nightlife.

We had a couple of issues that needed sorting when we arrived due to us booking late but everthing was duly sorted out by manager Sandy very efficiently.

Having tried many hotels in Newquay I would say generally you get what you pay for (or less in some cases)...with The Sunnyside I would say you get a little more.

For as long as we keep returning to Newquay then The Sunnyside Hotel will be our first port of call, keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sabsman
ssh57, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

We're thrilled to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate repeat custom and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2014! :-)