“Not quite perfect”

Ranked #23 of 244 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the beach at Watergate Bay on the north coast of Cornwall, our restaurant offers a unique blend of exceptional food, dedicated service and an inspiring commitment to make a difference in young people's lives. Experience our bold, bright, seasonal Italian dishes packed full of flavour and served with a Cornish twist and allow our front of house team to take you on a food journey, with amazing tales of provenance. All the profits from Fifteen Cornwall go to its registered charity, Cornwall Food Foundation and together they manage the award-winning Apprentice Programme.
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This review is somewhat difficult to write and it must be taken in the context of how much the dinner costs at 15. With the price and fame of this restaurant I would expect everything to be absolutely perfect and unfortunately it was not.

We decided to go with the seven course tasting menu for £80 a head. We did not go with the seven glasses of wine for £60 a head but rather asked the sommelier for his advice and ended up with a very nice bottle of Chianti for £55

As you would expect the food was very good. The staff were excellent and very helpful.
The imperfections were slightly irritating but did not detract from the overall enjoyment. Problem points were unclean cutlery at the start of the mail, minor flooding around a urinal and lifting of the tiles at about eyelevel over the urinal.
The main issue, and I find it difficult to say this as I really like a lot of food, was that the portions were too big which meant once we got to the fifth course which could not go on. I'm pleased to say that the manager was very good about this and did take a significant amount of money off the bill to reflect the fact we did not have pudding or cheese.
My advice would be perhaps stay away from the tasting menu and choose from the standard one or make sure you are very hungry before you go!

There are newer reviews for Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Cornwall

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We did a joint couples birthday meal. Fantastic setting right on the beach but it was dark when we went. Cocktails to start with were delicious. Had 3 amazing courses; risotto, steak and panacotta. They even wrote happy birthday on the desserts! We did need the menu translating for us as it was mainly in Italian! Had a fantastic time. Like how you can see into the kitchens. Great atmosphere. Ate way too much! It is very expensive though, £330 for 4 (3 courses, no wine but cocktails instead). Highly recommend as a special treat!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I never quite know when a philosophy of a eating house is the correct one. We never had the same waiter/waitress come to the table. In fact for all aspects none of the them visited the table more than once. It kinda of made me feel uncomfortable.

I don't have many complaints about the service or the food, it was all pretty good, but I given they weren't very busy, everything was quite easily handled.

Nevertheless, I do have some complaints. I DON'T like the nature of feeling obliged to give MORE money away.

1. There is a charity envelope on the table for you to give money away with a massive box at the exist to deposit your money.

2. They add £1 to the bill which they call voluntary. How is this when you are FORCED already on the bill? This is really out of order and very very very disrespectful. I would have to verbally challenge this in order for it to be removed.

3 The menu is not cheap, not at all, so why am I being asked to give give give more money away?

4. I think it is very disrespectful when a server hands you the credit card machine with the words "GRATUITY - YES/ NO" are on brightly shown on the screen. It just seems that everything is geared towards giving more money away, and making you feel guilty for not.

5. The water served was room temp and full of chlorine.

6. Much of the starters, bread and bits were bought in. Shame!

I am going to go there again and make a loud scene and challenge all the additional charges. Look, the food was good, but not that good, but I don't like this money grabbing attitude, at all.

So I am scoring it very low because of the very poor attitude. It's not good, it really isn't. In the name of charity, it should be all voluntary, not anything else. There's no car park other than a £90 fee my Parking Eye should you stay 1 minute over your allocated time. There are very very steep steps down to the building too.

The presentation of the venue is pleasant, but c'mon guys, remove this money greed grabbing attitude. It really ruined it for me.

2  Thank LixtTricks
Reviewed November 21, 2013

From the moment we walked in the service was outstanding. Everyone that dealt with us was friendly and polite, our waiter explained the menu in great detail. The food which was the set lunch time menu was presented perfectly and tasted amazing ( especially the pork ). Will we be visiting again? See you next time we are in Cornwall. Brilliant job, keep it going.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went there in late September,we found our main dish of Monkfish nearly cold after a long wait, we told our waitress who said oh dear and did not come back to us. We did not seem to have a dedicated waitress to look after us. Clearly we were of no account to the wine waiter who only appeared to be interested in people on the tasting menu. OK pudding,long wait for service.
VERY expensive for poor service and not good food.

We wanted to enjoy our experience but certainly did not.

2  Thank peterd28