“Good but pricey”

Ranked #20 of 240 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the beach at Watergate Bay on the north coast of Cornwall, our restaurant offers a unique blend of exceptional food, dedicated service and an inspiring commitment to make a difference in young people's lives. Experience our bold, bright, seasonal Italian dishes packed full of flavour and served with a Cornish twist and allow our front of house team to take you on a food journey, with amazing tales of provenance. All the profits from Fifteen Cornwall go to its registered charity, Cornwall Food Foundation and together they manage the award-winning Apprentice Programme.
Callington, United Kingdom
“Good but pricey”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

4 of us went on Easter Saturday with a £50.00 voucher expecting to double it probably!We have been before and found the set 2/3course menu good value It is now £28.00 for 3 courses..Bread water and side dishes all extraand wine by the glass£9.00 upwards The food was excellentDeliciuous duck on an interesting sauce ..no potato or even rice..Fish of the day was Pollock..no comment!All the staff are cheerful and helpful Really efficient service Fantastic setting overlooking Watergate bay.We all came out saying"wasn't that good but ooohhh it was dear.".voucher X 3 plus!!!( we had no alcohol)

“Wow! what a place!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The first thing that strikes you about Fifteen is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!
Even if the food was bad and it certainly was NOT! I would have been happy with the view.
The ambience of this restaurant is delightful and very relaxed; it reminded me of the set up at
The River Café in London where the open plan of the restaurant and the view of the kitchen operation was good to see adding to the whole experience. The food was very good, but a little overpriced in my opinion. Overall a place you must visit and ask for a window table if available!

Newport, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My partner were on holiday in the area so we eagerly made a mid-week reservation at "Fifteen" for 18:30. We arrived at 18:00 and were told by a lady that the staff weren't ready and hadn't had their "brief", so we were told to come back at 18:30! I pointed out that it was close to freezing outside - the lady then suggested we go for a coffee at the cafe' below, or wait in our car!!! We tried the cafe' but it was closed for the day... First impressions - not a good start at all...

We returned at 18:30. Our jackets were hung up inside the restaurant where we came in and we were shown to a table for two beside a till station. This turned out to be an area where all of the waitresses convened. The restaurant wasn't very busy even half an hour after our arrival (approx 10% full) and it was evident that we were placed at this particular table so the waitresses had only to turn around if we required any further service. I felt we had no privacy in this location and we had to listen to purile gossiping waitresses less than a metre away.

The Starters didn't appeal and seemed overly pretentious, so we decided to go straight to the Main course. I opted for the Ribeye steak. £30 bought me an inadequately seasoned steak with just watercress. However, it was cooked to medium rare as per my request. Unless you are on hunger strike you will want side dishes to bolster the meal; Adding potatoes and some vegetables will set you back a further £10 each. Fennel made up the majority ratio of the vegetables - unfortunately the fennel was quite burnt, which made it taste very bitter.

My partner opted for rack of lamb, which is her favourite. She thought it was OK but preferred my steak, which she found to be disappointing as well.

My chocolate dessert was OK. My partner's rhubarb cheesecake was delicious! Compliments to the Chef on that - we wished we had spent our £100 bill solely on several plates of it instead!

Note: When I asked for the bill I noticed Fifteen added a "donation" on to my bill for their "apprentiship scheme". It's £1 for each person in the dining party. I found this very cheeky, as it's added on by default and if you ask for it to be removed you would be deemed as a scrooge! The menu prices are high enough to cover this "apprentiship scheme" more than adequately! I didn't ask for it to be removed but I did decide not to give a gratuity / tip for the food & service when paying using the credit card machine. I got a snort of contempt by the waiter and he insincerely bid us a good evening and turned and walked away.

We weren't taken to our jackets, which incidentally had been relocated from the place we saw them being hung up on our arrival. After searching for a few minutes and nobody coming to our aid, we found them in an unattended closet by the entrance / exit door!!! Anyone could have taken our jackets, or their contents!

We were extremely disappointed with the whole Fifteen "experience" from start to finish and are in no hurry to return. It's a real shame as we love Jamie's Italian in Cardiff and love cooking from his cook books and T.V programmes. i recommend that Jamie sends one of his unknown friends to do a secret spot check assessment at Fifteen....

Do yourself a favour and look to eat elsewhere in the local area... :(

2 Thank AlienInNewport
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fab! We will be back ...”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Came here while we were on our mini-moon break and it was lovely. It was a sunday lunch time and fairly busy when we arrived early for our table but we were offered seats at the bar and the antipasti menu to choose some snacks while we waited. I could not wait to get stuck in to the food or the cocktails and I was not disappointed. We had a spicy sausage type of bruschetta, some huge nutty olives and some risotto balls. I could have eaten more! the barman was brilliant, willingly talking you through the menu and offering tips and he had a lot of knowledge about the food. He even gave us some tips on how to make a syrup that he used in my cocktail.

We were then seated. On booking we had been asked if it was a special occasion and the waiter had congratulated us and said he hoped we had a lovely day. We talked a bit about the wedding and he seemed interested. He then offered us the menu and when we asked for tips on the menu choices he gave us really informative and balanced responses. He did not guide in to one particular option or sway us which I liked.

We had a bread basket and he told us about one of the breads in there (music bread) which he explained to us as being quite romantic and told us about the history of the bread being used for love notes, and he again linked this into our recent romantic adventures!

We ordered a short rib tortellini and mushroom risotto and both were delicious. Not small portions but also not too big. My husband likes his food and he was satisfied! We then ordered a long horn rib of beef to share and when we ordered the waiter told us this was a great choice and informed us about a new oven they have that burns Cornish charcoal to cook the meats and fish and how this adds a lovely flavour. He was right! It was the best bit of steak we have both ever had and topped the steaks we hunted down in New York the previous year! For pudding I had chocolate fondant with blood orange and my husband had frangipane. Neither of us were that bothered about the dessert options but treated ourselves anyway and we were not disappointed. My only improvement on the whole meal would be offered petit fours or chocolates with the coffee we had after the meal. Nevertheless, it was the best meal we had over the weekend and we ate in some well known places.

All in all this was a great meal and a great experience. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, relaxed atmosphere with an awesome view of the surfers. I love the whole idea of giving back to the community and offering opportunities for disadvantaged people too. We will be back!

Thame
“Great service, cocktails & location, food didn't wow!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of having a table pre booked for Jamie's Fifteen last night, being really big fans of his Italian restaurants we were going with confident expectations of a perfect meal. We were greeted really well, with our table ready and waiting we were seated early. Delicious cocktails, absolutely recommend the Bloody Mary. The waitress was really friendly and helpful, couldn't be faulted and accommodating when I requested that our starters did not arrive until we had finished our cocktails. So far so good, it's a well thought of restaurant and we were feeling lucky to be there. The food however, besides the fantastic open kitchen, wasn't brilliant, pretty average to be completely honest. I had the blue cheese and mushroom ravioli, and my boyfriend had the crab risotto, both only needed to be a quarter of the size that it was, which would make them possibly seem pretentious portions but the flavours were so powerful the generous starter portion became very overwhelming which we couldn't finish. Jamie's could save money and have happier customers. Our main meals were nice, if simple. I had the sea bass with lentils and purple sprouting broccoli, and my boyfriend had the fillet. Pricey but quite tasty. I've never seen this before, but the VAT had been added to the bill separately, so the prices on the menu aren't the full price. In this economy of budgeting why would you do that!? Overall I don't think we would be itching to go again, apart from for the fab view, cocktails and the antipasti bar whichever you don't need to book for. Thank you for great service though, that is extremely important.