“Nothing Special”

Ranked #44 of 253 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the beach with exceptional views across Watergate Bay, our restaurant offers a unique blend of exceptional Italian influenced food, knowledgeable, friendly service and an inspiring commitment to making a difference in young people’s lives. Head Chef Adam Banks works closely with our trusted local suppliers whose passion and dedication to growing and rearing high quality produce is celebrated in the innovative dishes he creates. Since his arrival in May 2017, Adam’s considered approach to cooking and nose to tail ethos has been encouraging our chefs to make the most of this produce, whilst encouraging them to ferment, pickle, preserve and cleverly use every edible part of our beautiful ingredients. All the profits from Fifteen Cornwall go to its registered charity, Cornwall Food Foundation and together they manage Jamie Oliver’s award-winning Apprentice Programme as well as other community food programmes run by the charity.
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

The place looks more like a canteen than a restaurant but the atmosphere is good and the staff are friendly. The view is amazing, being seated by the window will greatly improve your experience. The service is ok but the menu is limited. As for the food, my partners rib-eye steak was really well cooked and tasted amazing. The duck on my main course was also very good. The skin was crispy and the meat underneath was succulent and moist. However, the polenta was sloppy and the onions left a really nasty aftertaste, as did the side of mixed greens I ordered. I was told by the waitress that it was chard leaf that is naturally bitter. If this is the case then they are serving food that is inedible. The crab starter was the biggest let down. For a very unreasonable £14 we got a spoonful of unseasoned crabmeat (with shell in it) on top of a greasy chunk of toasted bread and a sprinkling of rocket leaf. I wanted to visit the restaurant for a long time so I'm glad I finally did but I won't go again. It would have been expensive at half the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,471)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food is delicious and it is fantastic to watch the staff beaver away in the open plan kitchen. Enjoy a cocktail before dinner at the bar.
We enjoyed dinner as part of our package at Watergate Bay Hotel and it was hence good value for money.
Only reservation was the wine tasting. A great idea but something we shan't do again. The wine was rightly chosen for us to go with our courses, but the wine waiter failed to ask us about our wine preferences, so unfortunately we didn't always enjoy what we were given.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I took my parents for their first time to Fifteen and it certainly won't be their last. We booked lunch on the Monday after Mother's Day - we had a lovely table overlooking the beach- a stunning location! The special deal of 3 courses of £21 was on that day which made it extremely good value. We had the best mozzarella ever and the pork belly was delicious! We enjoyed being able to see the chefs at work. Cannot wait to come back- great work Jamie and your team! To have a great meal and experience and know you're helping a charity is fantastic.
I noted that couples are more likely to get the front row of tables so make sure you request your preference if you are bothered.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went twice to this attractive, unusual restaurant. Beautifully located on the beach, it is a huge barn-like room, yet cleverly decorated and lighted so that it somehow manages to feel cosy and inviting. Extremely charming and friendly staff were a bonus, and the food was very tasty. They (Jamie Oliver perhaps? or the local staff) have clearly made a strategic decision to do a few things superbly, and that's what they do: three types of steak and a couple of fish dishes for main courses. A selection of tasty Italian starters and antipasto. A view through a large hatch so that you can watch the apprentices (white hats) learning from the professional chefs (black hats) and get a real sense that this is a place that young people can get a really good training and a career path.
Very expensive ... but a lovely evening out.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Been meaning to try Fifteen for a while and as we were in Newquay for the day we booked for lunch. The best thing about the restaurant is the view. Beautiful big floor to ceiling windows and it's a nice experience sitting watching the kite surfers. Food and service however didn't provide the same experience. There were many young servers scuttling around but the service is really slow and fell well below expectations of such a pricey restaurant. We sat for about 20 mins before we were even asked if we wanted a drink. The service throughout the meal was really slow. We were sat waiting for long periods. Not a lot of choice on the menu but that seems to be the thing in these celebrity restaurants as they flaunt the idea that a small menu means it's cooked really well and is local produce. Fair enough but I object to spending mega bucks on pollock which is two a penny and along with mackerel is the only fish that my husband ever seems to catch. I chose duck but was told it was sold out and I could have sirloin [which wasn't on the menu] I don't normally have steak in a restaurant but as I didn't fancy pollack I ordered it. This is one of those restaurants that don't provide vegetables with the main dishes and you have to order expensive side dishes. We had a tiny bowl of potatoes & another of veg. My steak was grisly although my husband had the rib eye which was better [and more expensive]. He only had a bit of watercress with it though. Cheese board was miserly. Some tiny bits of cheese for a big amount of money. I don't want to appear mean but I did feel this was a rip off restaurant. I can't figure out how people rave about it. I can only conclude it's a case of 'The Emperor's new clothes' and people think because it is trendy then it must be good. We spent £110 for a shared starter of cold meat, mains, 2 side dishes between us, one plate of cheese and 2 beers and a bottle of water. I noticed after that some people had jugs of water. It would have been nice if this was offered as well instead of just the mineral water. I don't mind spending money on a good meal but this had the feeling of 'give us your money' about it. In fact we've spent nearly double in a certain Mr Stein's restaurant up the coast and it was worth every penny. Mr S teaches how to give good service as well. Something Mr O needs to teach.