“Excellent Food Fantastic Views” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Coastguard Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mousehole
Old Coastguard Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Mousehole B&B and Inns
North Yorks
“Excellent Food Fantastic Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

This was our second visit to this hotel. We stayed for 4 nights in a large room in the Lodge with a fantastic view and terrace leading on to a garden.The food and service was excellent.
We were welcomed by a very pleasant receptionist and although
the car park was busy we had no problems parking throughout are stay which included the same date as the previous reviewer.
We will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank pandja

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

My girlfriend and I are staying here at the moment. On arrival we were told we couldn't park in the hotel car park and our (tiny) room doesn't have any hot water. I just phoned though to reception and was told that it was because room 6 had just got in the shower! I've come all this way and can't even clean up after a long drive. Hopefully things will pick up.

• Disliked — I can get on the internet but can't have a hot shower
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Londonspanners
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

I stayed at The Old Coastguard Hotel recently while visiting relatives in Cornwall. I was delighted by the accommodation. The rooms are very clean and modern yet still maintain a homely atmosphere. The Sweeping views across the bay left me entranced. The staff are all amazingly friendly and go out of their way to please. They were more than happy to offer advice on the local areas and give tips on places to visit. If you stay here (or even happen to be passing through) I must insist that you try the hotel's restaurant. When I was there they offered a delightful menu full of treats that left me quite full and satisfied. I highly recommend the pork belly and scallops!!! I would definitely recommend the Old Coastguard to anyone wanting to experience the luxuries and professionalism of chain hotels, with the warmth and service that only small independent hotels can offer. I will be back!!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
BRISTOL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Our stay was obviously different! we had a small double with one of the best seaviews ever, anywhere - although no balcony.
A simply furnished but very comfortable room, with some interesting and unique prints by a local artist. To be fair, I suspect the room may just have been through its refurbishment schedule! ( A very new 26" Samsung flat screen TV was evident! Free broadband too - not bad for a two star hotel.)
The real event, however, is the restaurant. Already Two Rosettes and the chef is clearly reaching out beyond that. A full Table d' hote can obviously be a bit much on any particular night, but during our stay they seemed pretty relaxed about serving one or two courses. The full menu is worth experiencing though. Each course is beautifully balanced, and at least two dishes - the lobster ravioli starter and the skate wing main - would have stood their ground in a Michelin diner. My skate wing was cooked to perfection, not easy with skate, and translucent in its freshness.
We ate elsewhere in the village, very pleasantly, but I have to say -do treat yourself to a full evening at The OCG. Or lunch - fabulous views and very relaxed staff!
This restaurant is going places, I can't wait to go back - and I have no problem recommending the hotel either!
The Craigos.

• Liked — THE VIEWS, THE FOOD AND THE STAFF
  • Disliked — THE GUEST LOUNGE IS SMALL AND COULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Booked on the strength of the web site, but not like that in reality. Receptionist very helpful on arrival. Restaurant has won some award so now chef will only let you in for evening meal if you have the full works at £39 per head. Didn't look anything special and receptionist recommended another very good eating house just around the corner. Room was rather cramped with silly surround to the bed and no wardrobe - only rail behind mirror. Bathroom pokey and rather old fashioned but clean. First morning staff managed my request for early (7.15) breakfast OK but the second morning I was left out in the cold (well the drizzle) as they refused to open the doors until 7.30. I was literally left standing on the pavement for 10 mins after knocking on the kitchen door requesting to be let in! Female member of staff was very rude and not at all helpful so won't be staying there again. Drinks also OTT - two white wine spritzers £9.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank sallyglebe
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

The views are fantastic - it's worth discussing your room before booking to make sure you get the best view.
Staff are friendly and pleasant, food is good. Breakfast was excellent, dinner we found a bit too formal: with an almost one- to- one staff to guest ratio and constant hovering it was difficult to relax. Food was good. There are also plenty of other places to eat in Mousehole worth trying, such as the excellent Cornish Range.

Our superior room was large, clean and comfortable although why was the bed so small? There was plenty of room for a decent kingsize.

The shower room was all right, if small, but a bit musty as the window did not open. If a bath is important to you you need to check when booking.

But it was a very pleasant experience staying in the Lodge and
we enjoyed just sitting watching the sea and the birds, in a very peaceful and beautiful location.

• Stayed April 2007
1 Thank muncus
Farnborough, Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2007

My fiance arranged an incredible 3 night stay in a very special hotel and village in which to celebrate my 40th birthday which coincided with the Mousehole Christmas Light-Up Festival.
Our entire stay was a wonderful experience. The check in went really smooth and our room was lovely. We enjoyed a gorgeous sea and village view in which we listened to the sound of the surf and drank champagne on our balcony, whilst looking at the brilliant Christmas light displays.
The lounge and restaurant were great. The staff were 'spot on' and the food was delicious. The presentation, portions, taste and service were of a very high standard. There was nothing that was too much trouble.
The weather was excellent and we enjoyed some interesting walks and a day hike along the coast to Treen. We arranged for a taxi to bring us back to Mousehole. Another day we drove along the Penwith Heritage coast, enjoying St.Just, Cape Cornwall and Sennen Cove.
The Light-Up Ceremony on Saturday evening was another highlight. I am so very fortunate to have celebrated my 40th birthday in such a unique hotel that catered to our every whim and made us feel very special.

• Liked — Location, accomodation, views, restaurant, lounge
  • Disliked — Hallways
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oceanangel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mousehole
The Lamorna Cove Hotel
Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant
The Queens Hotel
The Queens Hotel
#3 of 4 in Penzance

Been to Old Coastguard Hotel? Share your experiences!