“OK food but substandard service”

The Cornish Range Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“OK food but substandard service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Holiday in the Mousehole area most years and always give the Cornish Range a try. The food used to be some of the best in the village, but has been overtaken by the Hotel, and also by the other village restaurant, which is now significantly better. The food is OK, but no more, and is now poor value, as they charge top whack. What really lets the place down is the front of house staff and the service. After sitting down with no menu (my wife had to ask for a menu!!), the waitress returned after barely a minute, notepad in hand, and asked for our order and wine requirements. With mains typically almost £20 a go it would be nice to have more than 60 seconds to make up your mind. Table service was at greasy spoon level thereafter, and at the end of the meal we were abandoned. Needless to say, the other eateries got our business for the rest of the week ..........

2 Thank Philip H

Cambridge-ish
“What a Delightful Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We spent a week in Mousehole and ate here twice as it was so nice. The early bird menu was varied and the fish was splendid. The ice cream by Moomaid of sennen was startlingly good. We risked a bottle of Cornish white wine on our second visit and were well rewarded.

1 Thank DensChauffeur
Midlands
“Worth a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Mainly fish menu, which is perfect in this area of course. I'd been before a few years ago and thought eating here again would be the gastronomic highlight of my week, sadly it wasn't. My food was bland and the service irritatingly slow, despite the fact that the restaurant was less than half full. People were consistently being turned away even though there seemed to be plenty of room - for the hour and a half that I was there, so if you want to come you do need to book.

Visited May 2013
Cirencester
“Seriously good food and accommodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My friend and I found this place because the rest of Mousehole was booked up and we thoroughly enjoyed the accommodation and excellent food. The freshest and beautifully cooked seafood (exceptional pan fried mackerel and scallops stood out) met the Michelin guide standard we understood was awarded by the restaurant. Friendly service, great value and a cozy atmosphere. Thank you.

Mitchell W

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Food lovely but mussles should have been checked before plating up.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I visited this restaurant as the menu seemed great for local fish. The early bird menu was very good and included mussels as a starter. I was a bit disappointed to find one that was not edible (but still the shell was open) and gunge came out into the sauce. Fortunately I'd eaten most of the mussels by then but I did wonder if the white wine sauce had been contaminated by the bad one and that I'd be ill. Despite worrying I was fine - but it did take the shine off the meal a little. Just a quick check of all the mussels at plating up would have eliminated this problem.

The ambiance was good and waitresses friendly (could have been a little bit more knowledgeable about the produce on offer). The fish course was lovely and I had no space for any dessert. All in all a very nice place which would have had a 5/5 had it been a little more careful. I'd go there again... but probably would specifically ask them to check the mussels before plating up!

1 Thank Suzie C