“We didn't stay here because of a mess up with expedia but........” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bridgeside Guest House

Bridgeside Guest House
Ranked #13 of 60 Looe B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“We didn't stay here because of a mess up with expedia but........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I had booked this hotel through expedia or so I thought.
When I rang the hotel to order vegetarian breakfasts I was surprised to find that they ha no such booking! Expedia made a right mess of my booking, and we were unable to stay.
However...,, from the moment the hotel management realised the error they were do helpful, calling me several times, trying organise alternative rooms, unfortunately the rooms available were not big enough for my family
But truly I was gutted as the service that I received whilst trying to rectify expedias mistake was brilliant!!!
Hooray to personal customer service, can't wait to actually stay here, this time I'll book direct

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Myself and my husband booked for 2 nights and we couldn't fault it. Staff were friendly, rooms were spotless and the breakfast was fantastic. freshly cooked and lots of it. The bar had a really good selection of drinks at a sensible price. will go back again without any hesitation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked 4 nights for my wife, son and I for a mini break and wish I hadn't.

Upon arrival we had to walk up some steps to reach the guest house and found these to be a little dangerous trying to carry our son up them, especially in wet conditions.

When checking in, we were greeted by a friendly guy but presentation wasn't great. We then made our way to our room which was on the top floor. The room and house, in my opinion, was very tired and in need of improving. I fail to see how you could be charged £30 per person per night and receive value for money.

We were provided with a travel cot. This too was poor as it never had a mattress and therefore we had to make do with towels to pad it out so that our son could have a reasonable nights sleep. The curtains in the room didn't fit the window and were so thin we found it very hard to sleep with the amount of light coming into the room. The decor reminded me of staying with a very old relative, out dated.

Bearing in mind we were paying £60 per night, £240 over the 4 night period, I expected something half decent, this was below the standard of a 4* guest house as noted on the website. Also, I could not see anything on the website stating that dogs were welcome. Had I known this I would not have booked as my wife has pet hair allergies. We were a bit surprised to see a lady taking a dog up to her room later the first night of our stay.

After some thought, we decided to cut our loses and terminate our stay after the first night. As we had already paid the first night stay we advised the owner we were leaving and found something better for the remaining 3 nights and managed to salvage something out of our stay in looe.

My advice to the owner is to invest in your business. This has the potential to be a great little guest house as its right near the river with great views, but you can't rely on these alone. I have stayed in better and paid less for it. Raise the standards of the rooms and guest house in general and demonstrate that this place is worth every penny of the £30 per night price tag and that it lives up to its 4* rating. Also make it clear on your website that dogs are welcome. Some people do have allergies to pet hair or may not be dog lovers. Make it clear either way to prevent any issues that may arise.

Room Tip: My opinion would be if you want a good room, try somewhere else. Until improvements are made, I fail...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Chris3107
Bicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Myself and some freinds stayed for 4 nights. It is a very nice Guesthouse with clean and tidy rooms. The staff are excellent, and the breakfast is hugh. Will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 Nights Thurs/Fri. We chose Looe as a base to go to Daughters Passing out Parade at HMS Raliegh which was about 25min drive away. Looe is a lovely place to vist, As we didnt have much time to have a good look around or go to other places we are hoping to vist again maybe next year.
We did eat at Smugglers Cott both nights which we would recommend very nice seaford dishes. Book in advance got very busy especailly on the Friday Night. Go to there website to look at Menu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

We booked to stay here one night in April for our 22nd Wedding Aniversary - from the outside it looks a little tired and shabby and as other reviewers say there are a lot of steep steps upto the guest house and up to the rooms (we stayed in room 8) However the staff especially the owner are really friendly and welcoming. He advised us where to eat and we had a lovely meal that was worth every penny in the Smugglers Cot - Breakfast was really nice and filling and you felt that nothing was too much trouble here. A nice spacious room with fairly comfortable beds. If I was going to stay in Looe again then I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: our room was quiet however being a smoker right at the top was a pain!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I can across this guest house as a last minute booking on Travel Republic for a good price.

I wasn't disappointed. The Guest House has an ideal location in Looe between the train station (5 minutes slow walk away ) and the town centre. It is situated (as the name suggests) right on the bridge that connects the two sides of the town of Looe.

Upon my arrival the host, Sammy, was extremely welcoming and offered to take my bag up to the room. I was shown a couple of different rooms and went for Room 7 on the top floor. I was settled in and invited to have a tea or coffe by Sammy which I thought was a nice touch.

The room itself was very clean, had a nice little freeview flatscreen TV, modern wardrobe, nicely sized and comfortable bed, nice furnishings and a wet room style shower / toilet. The view over the bridge into town was superb.

There were basic tea / coffee making facilities in the room, but these were plentiful.

I had a very good nights sleep - the town seems to "wake up" slightly later than the rest of the world so it was nice and quiet in the morning.

Breakfast comprised of cereal / juice to start and then I plumped for the full english - which was freshly cooked and of a very decent size. I was offered more tea / coffee and toast but had to refuse because the breakfast was so large it filled me up!

All in all it was a really pleasent last minute stay in a town that is absolutely delightful. But...... what it isn't is a five star hotel, but then you certainly aren't paying five star money for it. It does look a little tired from the outside and, yes, you can pick out the odd small bit that could do with a little redecorating if you look really really hard.

However, if you are looking for a small, friendly, comfortable guest house with an excellent location, nice atmosphere, a good hearty breakfast and something that is easy on the wallet whilst not compromising on quality then you will have it at the Bridgeside Guest House - enjoy your stay there!

Room Tip: If you want a good view, go for a room at the front of the Guest House
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo