“Staff are excellent”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been staying at The Falmouth Hotel occasionally for over 40 years. Having moved back to Cornwall 2 years ago, as locals we have attended many weddings and birthdays.
Also have had many great Sunday Lunches and meals.

Yes I agree with the comments that over the years, it has got faded and out of date.

Not withstanding, we so love the hotel, we have booked a small party to celebrate our wedding anniversary in November, with family and friends.

The staff have been amazing with helping us sort out our arrangements and booking rooms, especially Jane Williams, we are only booking for 12, we have been treated with such respect and kindness, for such a small booking.

A big thank you, we look forward to our stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IreneK1
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear IreneK1,

I am very sorry for the delayed response to your review, I am not sure how I managed to miss it.

Thank you for your kind words, and especially your praise of Jane who was very pleased to read your comments.

I hope that you have been able to see many of the improvements we have made to the the hotel in the past year, and I thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

I hope that we will see you again soon, and I wish you a (belated) happy anniversary.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here end of September. Excellent location. We had a sea view room on the fourth floor. It looked newly refurbished. A very good sized room, with comfortable sofa and bed. We were also contacted to tell us there were functions on during our stay. We were told we were on the fourth floor away from the noise. We did not hear a thing from any function either night. We really appreciated the phone call warning us, even though it did not affect us at all. We did not use the restaurant, except for breakfast, which was very good. We ate from the bar menu one evening. Service and food was very good. Overall a very pleasant stay and would use this hotel again. All staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Holidayaddict023,

Thank you for adding your thoughts and comments to Trip Advisor, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do quite often get very busy with local weddings and events at weekends, but we work hard to try and ensure that these have little impact on our guests who are on holiday for a relaxing break.

We have just recently updated our Bar and Restaurant menu, which are proving very popular. I hope that we will be able to entice you into our restaurant on your next stay.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

my wife & I stayed here recently as we were attending a charity ball at the hotel. we have stayed before and know some of the staff. it was as good as always, lovely room, wonderful service and a great breakfast. the hotel has a faded elegance but is being modernised and is very comfortable. highly recommended.

Room Tip: if you like an attic feel ask for room on floor 4.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear john h,

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor, and I am glad to see that we have continued to meet and exceed your expectations of us since your last review.

It is lovely (as always) to know that we can stand out from the crowd, and entice local residents to stay with us as a treat on special occasions, rather than get a taxi home after our charity events.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Falmouth.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed here for work and returned for short breaks many times
Everything about this Hotel is excellent, location, rooms,food,staff,leisure facilities
So nice to stay in an old fashioned hotel with excellent facilities
Yes some rooms are a little tired but they are updating & upgrading
Recommend this Hotel to anyone 100%

Room Tip: ask for sea view, or cottages and flats also offer excellent accomodation
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Simon R,

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for taking the time to add them to Trip Advisor.

I am very glad to see that we have consistently made your stay enjoyable - in all aspects of the hotel, and I am glad to see that you would happily recommend us.

We are working hard at updating the hotel, and I am happy to see that this has been noticebale on your stays with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Falmouth.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was the second time we had stayed here, on both occasions for a wedding, these visits were 4 years apart, and although we appreciate that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment, we felt that on both visits that for the rates charged, the rooms were somewhat tired, the flat pack style bedside units had chunks of trim missing, the curtains in the room needed either cleaning or replacing. Beverages supplied in the room were rather mean. On the plus side, the room supplied for the wedding breakfast was stunning, and the meal was very nice, although the only hot component of the meal got cold while we waited an age for vegetables. The staff were helpful and friendly, but we were surprised to be asked for full payment for our room on arrival, before viewing the room despite the hotel having taken our full credit card details on booking. In conclusion having stayed in numerous hotels of all standards throughout the world we feel that overall the Falmouth Hotel needs to "raise its game" if it wants to be considered superior to a budget motel.

1  Thank Ian248

Dear Ian248,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations.

We are undergoing refurbishment, and striving to improve our aesthetics throughout the hotel. It is a shame that the hotel was unloved for such a long period of time in the past and lacked the positive investment that is now forthcoming.

We are working hard to bring everything about the hotel up to a high level, and this year we have gone a long way to achieving that - from refurbished bedrooms and corridors to our leisure club. We will continue to invest and improve the hotel, and I am certain that on your next stay with us you will see a marked improvement - especially as there are only a finite number of our standard inland rooms left that need updating. In the next year we intend to bring these up to the same standard as our other rooms, and continue with refurbishing our bathrooms across the hotel.

I do apologise if there was an issue with the service of vegetables at your function, and I have enquired with my banqueting team as to any issues that they were made aware of, or any feedback, so that we can investigate the matter further.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and showing you what we have achieved.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We booked a Premier room, which was perfect in every way: a large room, with bath and walk-in shower, king size bed, table and comfortable chairs, plenty of storage space, bath robes, large screen television, excellent lighting over the dressing table, and attractive new furniture. Breakfasts were enjoyable, and the bar menu very good - we can recommend the seafood platter, the small sized one being more than adequate. Food in the restaurant was superb, in the main. All staff were very helpful and professional. A most enjoyable week's stay.
Daphne T.

Room Tip: We asked just for a walk-in shower and for a sea view, but it would have been nice to have a first f...
1  Thank Daphne T

Dear Daphne T,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, and thank you for the kind words.

I am especially happy to see that you have given us such glowing words of praise after a week-long stay with us, and that the food and service were consistent throughout. I will be certain to pass your words of praise on to my staff.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Falmouth very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife treated me to a week-end at the Falmouth Hotel as a 60th Birthday present. From the moment she booked it the staff were superb. There was a Gala evening and two weddings booked for that same week-end, and the Hotel rang her to alert us to this well in advance, just in case we might feel it would be too noisy. As it turned out, despite everything that was taking place, the service was first rate, and the Hotel was a delightful and comfortable place at which to stay. My wife had asked for three rooms with sea views for us and for our family, who came down to join us for the second night. It is not often that I find a "wow factor" when I go into a Hotel bedroom, but the corner room we had been given had spectacular views from Pendennis Castle to the Manacles rocks. The gardens were beautifully laid out and maintained. The restaurant served really good food. The people at the Reception desk were helpful and friendly. Would we go again? Oh yes, but I'm not waiting until the next decade clocks up!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nick M

Dear Nick M,

Thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor, and I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Being at the heart of the local community, we are often busy with various events throughout the year. More than often, such as with yourselves, we do our utmost to ensure that there is very little impact on our other guests during these events - and always try to contact any guests so that we can give them adequate notice of anything that might affect their stay. I am very happy to see that your weekend was not affected in any way.

This year we have done a lot of work on our gardens, and in the last month it has been very nice to hear so many good comments about the general maintenance of our grounds. Thank you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Falmouth.