“Overnight stay.”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i stayed here overnight for a friends ruby wedding party.We had a lovely refurbished room(no201)corner with side and sea view.Lovely large bath and separate shower cubical.Small fridge,double bed,was 2singles joined together but very comfortable.Internet socket in bedroom and plenty of light up mirrors.Lots of draw space and good size wardrobe.
Breakfast was very enjoyable.Full english breakfast cooked to order and arrived lovely and hot.Selection of cerials,pastries,fresh fruit cocktail,yogarts and juices.Dispite being busy at breakfast,there were plenty of staff to serve you.
We didnt use the swimming pool etc but looked very nice.
Free wi fi in public areas or take your eternet lead and use in your bedroom(free use of lead for £5 deposit).
Free cup of tea or coffee in lounge on arrival and plenty in your room.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Cornish-Mandi
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Cornish-Mandi,

Thank you for your review of your stay this weekend, and I hope that alongside enjoying the hotel, that you and your friends enjoyed the Ruby Wedding celebrations!

Room 201 is one of my favourite rooms, and is often disregarded by people on booking due to its "inland" status. Everyone seems to forget that due to our unique location, there are stunning views from both sides of the hotel, with the River Fal stretching into the distance behind us.

As you have stated, we provide internet throughout the hotel - but only a wired connection in the bedrooms (which was originally due to security). A couple of years ago this was more than adequate for guests travelling with a laptop, however in today's fast moving technological world many people are traveling with Tablets or Smartphones, which do not have the necessary ports for connecting over a wired connection. To that end, we are installing wifi throughout the hotel, and this morning I hope to have confirmation of the date of the installation.

It's a shame that you didn't have the chance to use our newly refurbished pool and spa, but then hopefully this will be something to tempt you back with!

Thank you again for your comments, and I will be sure to pass them on to my team.

There are newer reviews for The Falmouth Hotel

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This beautiful hotel was built in 1850 and stands proud on Falmouth sea front looking quite magnificent. The present manager has begun some updating and discovered the original mosaic flooring underneath the tired foyer carpet; incredible history.
The rooms are wonderfully comfortable and very clean. They have everything you need for a warm, comfortable stay. The food was very well presented and tasty, with a great menu, and ALL the staff were courteous, friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
There's a lovely pool which has recently undergone refurbishment, and a lovely spar for pampering yourself. The grounds are well kept and although not huge, are very pleasant to walk round with seating found in all areas where you can enjoy the sea views; wonderful when the sun's out.
I think this hotel is worth every penny, situated in a perfect location that's both within walking distance to the town as well as being next to the sea front.
A great place that my husband and I would highly recommend. We WILL return.
Just be aware that the hotel is gradually being updated, but this doesn't detract from the comfort or the pleasure of your stay, you just maybe aware of some areas that are looking a little tired.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DeeandTony11
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear DeeandTony11,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us, and the candour that you have written with.

There are so many positive points about staying with us - from the hospitality, the location, and the history, to the quality of our food and dining. It is a shame that on occasion people are not able to see through some of our aesthetic issues, to the beauty underneath.

As you have noted, we are making amends for the disregard that the hotel was shown in previous years, and we look forward to showing you the improvements that we are making on each of your return visits. I am sure that each stay will be better than the last.

Again, thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This could be a very nice Hotel but it does need a bit of work to bring it up to scratch, it has been stated in other reviews that Hotel is undergoing renovation but some things such as stair carpets should have been replaced several years ago.
My wife and I had a standard double room which in general was very good but why no blind or curtains in the bathroom ?
Staff were all friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good as was the bar and lounge area.
Despite my reservations we will probably return one day.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FrankJ123
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear FrankJ123,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I completely agree that some areas of the hotel, like the carpets that you have referred to, should have been replaced some years ago. Unfortunately, due to a myriad of reasons they were not, and the hotel has suffered for it.

But that was then, and this is now.

In our entrance there is a beautiful mosaic, that dates to when the hotel was built, 150 years ago. For the last few decades it has been covered with a carpet, which slowly became threadbare and worn. It took myself and two members of staff a matter of hours to remove the carpet, and scrub the mosaic. This was something that could have been done by anyone over the last 10 years (and longer!) - but no-one did it.

We are dedicated to restoring the Falmouth Hotel back to its former glory, and will stop at nothing to get there. I could list the plans we have for this year, but I have already mentioned them in other responses. Suffice it to say that within the next six months there will be major improvements, and more to come.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and showing you what we have achieved.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel looking a bit tired and could do with some TLC. The door to our room was white but around the lock and handle it was black - could do with a real good wash down. Our room was very large and sea facing, although the windows were misted up between the layers so it was difficult to see the sea through one half, on first impression it was good but having stayed for 3 nights that waned a bit. You could hear everything that was said and done in the two adjoining rooms and also when people passed by in the corridor. Bathroom floor creaked like mad and there was no way you could avoid the creaks. Also flush on the toilet stopped working, staff came immediately to put right, must happen frequently because they knew exactly what to do to correct and it was one of the bar staff who attended (hope he washed his hands before he went back to the bar) Breakfast was ok but first morning we had eaten our hot food before drinks and toast (toast was cold and soggy) arrived which I had to ask for again, poured the coffee and only hot water in pot, the waitress told me I was mistaken and that there was coffee in the pot, I was not pouring it correctly? When she took the lid off she said oh yes you are right madam there is no coffee!!! When eventually got coffee it was very weak and like drinking hot dish water - subsequently asked for stronger coffee on the following mornings when ordered. Bar and reception staff excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jeanette S,

Thank you for your candid and useful comments regarding your recent stay with us. The feedback from our guests is critical in driving the hotel forward, and I apologise for any problems that marred your stay with us.

Regarding the issues with your service at breakfast, and the "magic" cafetiere, it would be very helpful if you could contact me directly on my email (christopher.roberts@richardsonhotels.co.uk) so that I am able to know the dates that you stayed with us. It is not the correct standard of service that I expect from our team, and I would like to establish who was on duty that morning.

By knowing further details of your stay I will also be able to look at the issues with your room. It is the first time I have been made aware of noise traveling between bedrooms, and I would like to be able to see if this can be rectified. In our ongoing plan of refurbishments, we should be addressing the issues of creaky floorboards wherever possible.

At points during the day when our maintenance team are either busy, or have departed for the day - in order to swiftly address any issues, we do send any other available member of our team. With bathroom suites of the same type being fitted throughout the hotel, it is often easy to identify a problem. All our front-of-house team are trained in food handling Health and Safety procedures, and know the correct protocol after having carried out any maintenance work.

We have a lot of ongoing issues (e.g. the misted up parts of the antique double-glazing) that are intrinsically linked to a building of this age, that we are striving to remedy. I can confidently state that on your next stay you will find us tangibly different.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Falmouth is a very good location to explore south Cornwall. The town is vibrant with plenty to do. The Falmouth hotel is ideally situated, seafront location, walking distance from the town and beaches, just a shame it's so poor.
The hotel is quite run down and needs some TLC. The atmosphere is strange. Being Easter break i was expecting a good class holiday vibe, what I got was a mix of this and a travel lodge. To explain, most of the guests appear to be tradesmen staying here but working elsewhere. It feels a bit like there's work going on at the hotel but there isn't. In the evening the bar is like a working men's club, no women just blokes in jeans and hoodies with their feet on the tables. We didn't use the bar.
The breakfast was OK but nothing special.
Our room was sea facing but very small and although recently decorated the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were tired. We had to ask for a hair drier and had a surprise delivery of the last occupants laundry left on the bed by mistake.
The staff were very pleasant, and could do little about the issues a the hotel.
We have stayed at other Richardsons hotels and always had positive experiences, but I won't be coming back here.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Rufbox
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Rufbox,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, and I am sorry that you felt that our other guests and local clientele detracted from the occasion.

We are fortunate to be a hub of the local community, and as such, amongst our regular guests we do supply accommodation for many travellers who have business links with community. Being in a prime location, with our proximity to the heart of Falmouth and spectacular views over Falmouth Bay, we often have many locals who use our bar facility throughout the day and the evenings.

Without further information about the dates of your stay, I cannot comment on the particular clientele who were present; I can however state that last night our bar was a hubbub of activity. From families with children, to couples on a weekend away. We also had a 70th birthday celebration with a family staying in the hotel.

We always appreciate feedback from our guests, however on this occasion I do feel that the 2/5 rating that you have given us is a little unfair. Even if I use your own evaluation of Rooms, Cleanliness, Service, Location, and Value in your review, the average works out to 3/5.

It is unfortunate that users of Trip Advisor do not sometimes realise how damaging their reviews can be - especially when they have not even used many aspects of the hotel. You have said that you did not use our bar, and judging by the absence of comments regarding our rosette awarded Restaurant food and our completely refurbished leisure complex, it seems that you did not use those either - both of which regularly receive a lot of praise from our guests. You may have found your stay more enjoyable had you taken the opportunity to experience all the hotel had to offer.

There are aspects of the hotel that need "TLC", a situation that I am acutely aware of. It has a lot to do with the mistreatment of the hotel and lack of investment by previous owners. Myself and my team are dedicated to remedying these issues, and have already made huge steps in restoring the "Grand Dame of Falmouth" back to her former glory. We have a steady ongoing program of refurbishment, which has meant that on occasion a bedroom has been refurbished - with the bathroom refurbishment to follow at a later date.

In the last 6 months we have refurbished the leisure complex, repainted our reception, carried out remedial works in a huge number of bedrooms, completely refurbished our suite (still ongoing), redecorated our bedroom corridors, and reinstated the hotel's original 150 year old mosaic flooring. This year we will be replacing our stairwell carpet and redecorating the stairwell, refurbishing another 13 bedrooms, installing new wifi throughout the hotel, and redecorating our restaurant.

We care for our hotel, and we are reinvesting to ensure that any issues that have resulted from past mistreatment are negated. Alongside this philosophy, we ensure that by over-delivering with our hospitality, and quality of food - from our personal welcome letters, to our homebaked breads, we can overcome our short-term aesthetic issues.

I am a little disappointed with the absence of the hairdryer in your room, and the mix-up with the other guests' returned laundry, and I will be following this up with our Head Housekeeper to ensure that similar situations do not happen again.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope that my response has been helpful.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had my daughter's wedding reception here together with an evening party, and we stayed overnight on a bed and breakfast basis.
The hotel is mightily impressive to look at, in the tradition of "an older era" of hotels, and stands proudly above one of Falmouths many beaches. The outlook across the bay is fabulous from the main bar/restaurants and was the same view we had from our bedroom on the second floor.
Our bedroom, booked for two adults and two children (16 and 12) was enormous, and had a king sized bed and two bed settee beds for the girls, with a separate bathroom. The shower leaves a bit to be desired as the shower head was fixed (not adjustable for height) and only came half way up my upper arm (I am 6 ft tall). To wash my hair, I had to stoop really low, but knelt down briefly to make it easier to wash and rinse.
The wedding reception and evening arrangements went off without a hitch and were very well organised. All the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and approachable - especially the master of ceremonies. All the wedding food was of a good and hot standard, with a good array of buffet dishes for the evening - everybody particularly liked the "mini" fish and chips served on cones!
As with most hotels, the drinks weren't cheap, but a good array and plenty of bar staff to serve the large numbers quickly.
Breakfast the next day was nicely done, although the cooked breakfast wasn't of the largest portions, but there was plently of cereals, continental meats and cheese as well as croisants/toast etc.
All in all an excellent stay and special occasion venue.

Room Tip: A sea view room is worth the extra
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Roger W,

Thank you for your candid review of your stay; your comments are gratefully received.

I am glad that the day went without a hitch, and I would like to wish your daughter and her husband congratulations again from all of us at the hotel.

I have taken on board your comments about the shower. We have many differing types of showers throughout the different bedrooms - and as a 6'2" man myself, I know how frustrating shower heads can be. If there is nothing that can be done with the one in question, I will certainly ensure that we do not make the same error when next purchasing shower units.

Again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

OK, so went back for our 10th or so stay at the Famlouth Hotel.
Its a lovely old Victorian building. Its a bit shabby, and in need of some tidying up, but it is what it is, and we are used to it by now anyway!

Before we arrived, the central booking line was excellent -they did a super deal, and my thanks go out to that team, well done. But when we arrived, our first room was not great, it was small and the heating was really hot. The shower did not work properly as the thermostat was too hot, so you couldn't turn the heat down and at its lowest it was just bearable. We had an uncomfortable night even with window open, and radiator off (the pipe was creating all the heat that fed the radiator). So we spoke to reception, and Jess was briliant, she moved us to a much nicer room, and did it quickly, efficiently, and politely. After that it was so much better.

The pool facilities are pretty average. The pool itself is nice, but the changing rooms and bits around it are a bit shabby. They told us it had all be renovated and made nice but it looked very similar to before. On Easter Sunday the pool was closed due to some problem, maybe with chemicals, that was a bit frustrating.

The hotel position is unbelievable - so close to town, amazing panoramic views, close to Pendenis castle (highly recommend a trip there).

While we were there, the owner turned up in his Rolls Royce phantom and parked in the disabled parking bay!... I guess you do own the building :) ... who wouldn't eh?

Anyway, thanks for the stay, nice as always in its own way.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear TimAll,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel.

As a return guest, that is testament enough that despite some of our aesthetic issues, we are doing enough things right to ensure that our guests return.

The hotel is undergoing an extensive refurbishment program to rectify a lot of longstanding issues - and I hope that by the next time you visit you will be able to see a tangible change.

Our leisure club has been extensively refurbished - with everything from the light fittings to the carpets, and from the Sauna to the gym equipment being replaced. It's a shame that you thought that the effect was not noticeable - especially as the whole layout is different since we extended the gym. We completed all the works in a two week time frame, and the only part that did not receive new flooring was the changing rooms, which does unfortunately detract a little from the overall effect. We did repaint the changing rooms, and fit new basin units - and we hope to do more next year.

The pool was closed due to a short term issue, and was reopened the following morning after the system had been flushed through. I do apologise for any inconvenience that this caused.

I am glad to see that Jess made sure that your issues were dealt with swiftly and efficiently, and I shall certainly pass on to her your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back.