“Didn't make a drama out of my crisis...Great service.”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Luton, England, United Kingdom
“Didn't make a drama out of my crisis...Great service.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a friend's wedding over the Easter weekend.

We arrived at the hotel in pouring rain on Good Friday evening and, while unloading the car, I dropped my son's new white shirt on the car park floor. The shirt was covered in dirt and it was looking like my son would not have a shirt to wear to the wedding.

My wife explained our crisis at the reception and the gentleman on duty said he would check to see if they could wash it in the hotel laundry. Within two hours, the shirt was returned back to us as good as new, washed and dried. And they organised an iron and ironing board so that we could press it too ;0)

We were not charged for the washed and dried shirt.

An example of great customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear LTFC_Est_1885,

Thank you for adding your review to the site.

I remember the shirt well, as I was the gentleman on Reception when you arrived.

I'm so glad that we were able to make your stay memorable; one of our primary goals is to ensure that every guest is made to feel special - and to ensure that we go above and beyond in our customer service.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Devon
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I could not recommend this hotel highly enough. We spent our wedding anniversary here a week ago and are still smiling from the memories. From the moment we walked into the hotel we felt comfortable and loved the relaxed atmosphere. The staff were really friendly and accommodating. Our room had an amazing sea view, the bed was comfy, and it had everything we needed.
The food was amazing, and my husband is usually so hard to please as he's a head chef and a fussy one, but he was left speechless (for once) after our 3 course meal, which deserved every rosette.
Overall we were so impressed that we've already booked to go back :) thank you Falmouth Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joanna M
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Joanna M,

Thank you so much for your review. It is always good to hear that we have made someone's stay enjoyable and memorable.

I will certainly pass on to our Head Chef your comments regarding the food - and as they have come from another Chef, I am sure he will be glad to hear how much you enjoyed your meal with us.

The ultimate seal of approval is when our guests choose to return to us for a repeat stay, and I am very happy to hear that you have already booked to come and see us again. You mentioned that you enjoyed the sea-view, but don't forget that due to our unique position, our rear-facing views extend over the Falmouth Harbour, and down the river Fal. On your next visit I would be happy to show you some of our harbour view rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was working in Falmouth and stayed here for 3 nights. My room was a standard double on the third floor. The room was a good size with everything you would expect from a 3 star hotel. However the ensuite bathroom was extremely dated, mould around the bath and the hotel is a period building so the sash window let a gale force wind through so it was always extemely cold. The hallways on all floors are very tired and need substantial renovation, the ground floor is currently undergoing renovation.

Breakfast was varied ranging from good to bad; staff not listening to my order to finding a hair in my hot meal.

Not sure i would stay again, I would try other hotels with leisure facilities or go to the Greenbank which I would rate alot higher if you are not looking for leisure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MandyClegg
Dear MandyClegg,

I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this visit with us, and I can only apologise for any issues that you faced during your stay.

Due to the age of our building there are some issues (such as the sash windows) which we are acutely aware of, and are working at rectifying these issues. Our bedroom corridors are undergoing refurbishment, as well as our ground floor corridor; and we have recently completed the refurbishment of our leisure facilities.

We are striving all the time to better ourselves, and the experience that we offer to our guests.

Later this year, we are expanding our refurbishment program and will be updating a further 13 bedrooms and bathrooms throughout the hotel. Alongside this we have recently carried out an inspection of all our bedrooms, and are endeavoring to "make good" any outstanding issues which occur with time and use, such as the tired grout in the bathroom that you faced.

I am concerned about your comments with regards to your food experience, and will be discussing the matter further with our Head Chef, who I am sure will be equally concerned. We have a strong food ethic, and the majority of our reviews are a testament to the quality of food that we normally produce.
We will definitely be investigating the matter.

Again, I sincerely apologise for the problems during your stay; and would like to assure you that we do react to our guests' comments, and that we are constantly evolving.

Thank you for your comments, and If you do decide to revisit us in the future, I am certain that you will see a tangible difference.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here at the weekend for our first wedding anniversary, we had not been before and first of all is the stunning location and view from the hotel. Looking out over Falmouth bay the hotel itself is a lovely old building with original features and a recently discovered mosaic floor running through the entrance hall. There is a nice relaxed atmosphere and great leisure fasilities for the more active, with a short walk away from Falmouth town centre or you can sit in the bar/ lounge area looking out to sea enjoying a cream tea or whatever takes your fancy. The food is excellent and the staff are friendly and helpful with cosy clean bedrooms I couldn't recommend it more. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so special.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank GENCONQUEST
Dear GENCONQUEST,

Firstly congratulations on your first wedding anniversary - the first of many milestones!

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you were impressed by our mosaic floor - we uncovered it beneath our carpet, and have decided that it should stay. It looks like it dates to when the hotel was built - 150 years ago! Over the next few months we will be restoring it to its former glory.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again soon, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff.

Castle Combe, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A little late but still worth mentioning. We had booked a Christmas party for January 5th as this was the first date since November that that we could bring all of our team together for a party night. I was a little apprehensive about having a party in January but I need'nt have been! Everything about the weekend was terrific from teas in the terrace lounge on the Saturday afternoon, to the high ratio of waiting staff per table, to the food of course, which was way beyond our expectation in quality, presentation and taste. There was absolutely nothing wanting about the event. As a group of business travellers with some of us spending over 100 days in hotels per year we were really delighted. Each member of the team commented on how much they enjoyed their stay and how delightful the hotel was compared to the international 5 star hotels that so often appear to be soul less. Well done!

Room Tip: Choose a luxury sea view room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard W
Dear Richard W,

I am happy to see that your Christmas party was a success, especially as during these hard times it can be important for teams to get together and let their hair down!

We had a very successful Christmas season at The Falmouth, which did extend right through till the end of January, and did not seem to hamper anyone's enjoyment of the festivities.

The Falmouth, as you have pointed out, is certainly not "soulless". The building is 150 years old this year, and compared to many modern hotels, exudes character and charm. Of course our staff also help to lend us an individuality and hospitality that sets us apart from some of our competitors.

We hope to see you again soon.

Aveton Gifford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent a brilliant night at the hotel for our wedding anniversary. Location is spectacular, looking straight out over the water. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the newly refurbished leisure is great for chilling - or working out! Highlight was the evening meal, would definitely recommend, and will be back again soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jack k
Dear jack k,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, and a belated Happy Anniversary!

We are blessed here with a fabulous location, and we are striving to ensure that our food, service, and hospitality live up to the expectations of our guests; and turn a memorable stay into an unforgettable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

kingsbridge
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A fabulous stay at the hotel set in beautiful surroundings, excellent food served in a lovely atmosphere by a great group of staff who were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We left the Falmouth to go onto another Hotel (which had already been booked) and regret that we hadn't booked longer in the Falmouth. We will most definitely be back and shall pass on our recommendations .....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lofty4ever
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear sarah H,

Thank you for your review.

It is nice to hear that you had wished you had stayed with us longer, and even better to know that you plan to come and stay with us again. It is always our aim to exceed our guests' expectations so that they wish to return.

We are always evolving at The Falmouth, and I hope that on your next visit we will be able to raise the bar further and make your stay truly memorable.