“Faded glory”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed March 11, 2013

On arrival we were told the the room that we booked wasn't available so we were 'upgraded' to a sea view. That turned out to be 'downgraded' to the grottiest hotel room I've ever been in. OK, the sea view was fine; everything else was bad. It was small and dingy. Several lights weren't working. No extractor fan in the windowless bathroom. (at least, there was, but it didn't work) Sash windows were jammed shut. Mould stains in the bathroom and bedroom ceilings. Loose carpet tacked down with gaffa tape on the stairs. We weren't able to eat in the resaurant the first night because a sailing club were holding an event. Why didn't we complain about it all? We couldn't be bothered with the fuss after a tiring week and also we took pity on the reception staff who were already getting an unpleasant earful from other guests. So was it an entire disaster? No. In many ways it was bad enough to be funny and the shabbiness was a reminder of past glories when the Falmouth Hotel may have been THE place to be at, and when we eventually got to eat in the restaurant the food was good. The sea view was pleasant, and apart from a drunken off-duty staff member the staff were doing their best to be positive.

Room Tip: Some rooms may have been updated - make sure you get one. The views are great.
Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Kingsley C

What a shame that your experience of a year ago was not a better one.

If you were to stay in more recent times you would note our many inprovements throughout the hotel, clearly I am unable to comment on the specifics of this particular visit which was under a different management, however I do apologise that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations.

If you are ever in the area, please do drop in and ask for me, or the Duty Manager, in order that we can show you around our new facilities and attempt to reinstall your faith in The Falmouth Hotel.

We will never be a modern Premier Inn style hotel, believing instead that a hotel should have a soul. This can be found in abundance in the Falmouth's historic and unique atmosphere.

With our ongoing investments in both fabric and staff, the hotel is in great shape today as it celebrates its 150th year of business.

Thank you for your review, should you wish to discuss anything herein I would be delighted to hear from you.

Kind regards

Ben Young
Regional Manager - Cornwall
Richardson Hotels.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My review of this hotel is excellent, that why we keep going back. It has the oldy world charm
nice comfortable lounge to sit around in. Dinner is also very good. The staff are friendly, and
very polite. We were last there in January this year and are about to return.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol F
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Carol F,

It is always nice to receive kind words from a return guest. I hope that on your next visit we continue to fulfill, and exceed your expectations.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband Charles and I stay here most often although we live locally.
The hotel boasts stunning views of the sea.
The restaurant serves the most delicious food with a warm romantic ambiance.
Best of all are the Fantastic friendly efficient staff on the reception Marie Marteen........
Restaurant & Bar Phillip Sam Darren Josh Piran, love you guys, Thank you xx

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tracey P,

It looks like our staff have really shone on this occasion, and I will certainly pass on your praise to them. It is always nice to know that even people that live locally feel that we provide such a service that they will come and stay with us just for the experience.

Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Made another trip to the Falmouth Hotel, this time for a longer stay and for the first time had a sea view room overlooking Falmouth Bay – absolutely stunning!

All the staff as usual were very professional and nothing was too much trouble. The Bar Staff deserve a special mention as I spent some time ‘propping up the bar’ where I enjoyed the banter and good craic. So cheers to Sam, Josh, Paul, Piran & Darren etc, who helped to make my stay all the more enjoyable.

The Falmouth Hotel is also to be congratulated on its policy of sourcing Cornish produce and understand its unbeatable quality. Indeed, an article in the Guardian newspaper recently declared that Cornwall is ‘Britain’s new foodie capital’.

Ruth Huxley from ‘Cornwall Food and Drink’ started the campaign ‘Choose Cornish’ and explained that, “if everybody who lives in Cornwall spent just 50p of their weekly grocery budget on local produce from a local supplier, it would deliver well over £10 million into Cornwall’s economy in a year.” Clearly, The Falmouth is making a significant contribution towards the campaign and the Cornish economy!

The chef’s too come in for a great deal of praise. I had the Full Cornish breakfast every morning along with the traditional ‘Hog’s Pudding’. Also, one of my meals consisted of a damn good Cornish rump stake with a pepper sauce & hand cut chips, followed by a Cornish cream tea made with the world famous Rodda’s Cornish Clotted Cream. Absolutely delicious. I was informed that the Cornish are so proud of their clotted cream that they spread it on top whereby others hide theirs under the jam!

Thanks too, for the help from Jess Bolitho & Martine Paynter at reception.

Very much looking forward to another stay at the end of June!

The Guardian Link:

Business Cornwall:

Roger.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Roger52186338,

Thank you (as always) for your kind words.

It is a testament to the continued service of our staff, that we have managed to make your stay memorable on your last three visits with us.

It is always a pleasure to see guests return to us, and even more so when we know that we are succeeding in making each stay memorable.

I will ensure that all the staff you have mentioned are made aware of your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent 5 days at the Falmouth over the Christmas period, what a great experience. Great food, great staff and great entertainment. Great Chrissmassy atmosphere throughout the hotel, plenty going on and we even won on the quiz evening!!! New manager Chris was most helpful and pleasant. We are planning a trip in October and hope to spend Christmas 2013 at the Falmouth.
Great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Thepebs,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this Christmas. It was my first Christmas at the hotel, and we tried to expand on our offerings in previous years - with more extras planned for Christmas 2013!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel this year - and I will have to see if I can make the quiz a little more difficult this time!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Seeing as half term was upon us and we had the chance to get away for a couple of days, we decided that it would be nice to visit Falmouth to see what everyone was raving about, and thought that the Falmouth Hotel looked nice from their website. Quite simply, the website doesn't do the place justice as from start to finish, we were provided with excellent service, second to none food and drink, and an environment that was relaxing, warm and welcoming.
On this visit we went as a family taking our 10 year old son with us and he was well looked after and provided for throughout our time there.
In all, definitely a place we'll be returning to and somewhere I can't recommend highly enough to others.

Room Tip: Get a sea view for stunning views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dave N,

I am happy to hear that we fulfilled and exceeded your expectations for you and your family.

We have been making steps in the last six months to make the hotel more "family friendly", and the refurbishment of our leisure facilities and changes to our menus have been very successful so far. This, combined with all that Falmouth as a town has to offer, has made us a very tempting family destination.

I hope that you can come and visit us again in the future, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards to you and your family.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have relatives in Falmouth and sometimes need to stay in a hotel when visiting. The Falmouth is a stunning Victorian building and my husband and I spent our honeymoon night there 25 years ago, but it is now a very dated slightly tatty-looking hotel in need of decoration throughout. My daughter and I stayed there 10- 13 Feb 2013, admittedly on an excellent room rate of only £59 per night for February, which we got through a glossy mailer which was sent to our home address, but when booking were not told that this meant we would be at the tattiest end of the hotel. I should say that then the staff were all lovely, but the corridor to our room had scuffed and dirty wallpaper and threadbare carpet, and the room, while clean, was very much of the chintz 1980s variety with sash windows which rattled and were in need of a coat of paint. It is a shame that this once beautiful hotel is obviously too expensive to keep up to scratch. I understand there are newly renovated rooms in part of the hotel so be sure to ask for those if staying there - might be more expensive though. Oh, and the pool was closed for repair!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated ones.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Aninacastle
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Aninacastle

Thank you for your review, the contents of which were of some concern to me.

Whilst I am pleased to read that you gave the service, cleanliness and locations such good scores, I am alarmed, that you felt your room was below expectation, even given your discounted room rate.

As you have alluded to, we are steadily refurbishing the rooms at the hotel and before long the entire building will have been attended to. The actual reason for the pool being closed (as you will have been made aware in advance) was due to a complete refurbishment of the area taking place, this too is the reason for the poor presentation of the coridoor area towards your room.

I appreciate that this knowledge does not help you now, but I hope it will explain.

Thank you for your feedback and if I may be of any assistance I would be delighted to hear from you.

Kind regards