“Excellent food, very reasonably priced”

The Grapes Alehouse & Kitchen
Ranked #174 of 229 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Grapes Alehouse & Kitchen, Falmouth. Family owned and family friendly, we focus on good quality homemade food, local real ales and a great atmosphere.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, very reasonably priced”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I recently returned to Falmouth after 6 months and, having enjoyed a good meal here beside one of Falmouth's finest views, I decided to go back - what a transformation!

I had The Boston Smokehouse burger whilst my vegetarian boyfriend had the Wholefood Burger. My burger was excellent, and my boyfriend thought his was the best vegetarian burger he had ever had - he is very hard to please! We enjoyed ourselves so much we made our way straight back on the Sunday for a delicious roast lunch.

Staff were extremely helpful throughout, and are one of this venue's greatest assets.

Overall, an extremely satisfying experience. Next time I visit, I'm heading straight for this pub for some more of that wonderful food.

• Visited April 2013

Akron, Ohio
“Decent food at a decent price”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had dinner here and the food was good but not great. Some of the staff were very helpful while others acted like we were bothering them. The views were great but the place needs to be "updated"

Truro, United Kingdom
“great start to a re-fab”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

great start and on the right track - fab burgers, good view and great selection of ales, whisky and rum

London, United Kingdom
“Very good indeed”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Made a flying visit to Falmouth to see a friend and he recommended this pub as our meeting point on the basis that it was under new ownership and in the process of being spruced up. It was an excellent recommendation! The pub is traditionally but nicely decorated with a heavy Navy theme (which sits well given the town's history). The bar staff were welcoming and friendly and who knew their stuff about both the guest ales and the local cider. Ended up having lunch and the food was of an excellent standard. Got talking to the new owners at the bar and their plans to re-decorate and modernise the place sound great. Next time I am back in Falmouth I intend to make a beeline straight for this pub and firmly ensonse myself in a table by the back window with a tasty ale in front of me.

Truro, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a transformation!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We've noticed this place changing slowly since it changed hands a while ago and the new owners seem to have taken a very brave step of transforming this 'old boozer' pub into a stylish, family and food orientated venue - making the most of its situation with the fantastic views across the harbour.

We went in recently having noticed that outside had had an extensive facelift and now a new name to go with it (used to be called "Grapes Inn") - they certainly can match up to the name with 6 ales on draught - mainly local - with one interesting guest ale and a selection of craft beers in the fridge too. I tried the Otter Ale, which was perfect; the other half had a pint of their Czech beer "kozel" which we've never seen before - very nice.

The menu and specials seems to focus on good homemade comforts and with a whole page of burgers we were spoilt for choices. I had the 'matador burger' (beef, chorizo, salsa etc) and my partner the so-called "famous" fish and chips. Well again they certainly delivered we both cleaned our plates (or in my case, a wooden board!). Service was very friendly and we stayed at the bar for another drink afterwards and chatted with the barmaid who was very professional.

Our only gripe was that it the refurb is obviously not quite finished, but the lady at the bar explained that the family that owned it is taking things one step at a time due to the costs, which is understandable - apparently we have more transformations to look forward to in the new year.

Overall we were very impressed with how much this place has changed - we've walked by it so many times without a second thought. Good luck to the new owners - we'll be back again to see the improvements.