“tour of Falmouth RNLI lifeboat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Falmouth Lifeboat

Falmouth Lifeboat
Ranked #10 of 58 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Falmouth Lifeboat Station is one of a number of stations around the coast designated as an 'Explore Station'. This means that the station is open to visitors for most of the year, subject always to operational requirements. A team of volunteers provide free guided tours of the station's B class Atlantic 75 inshore lifeboat and Severn class all-weather lifeboat. There is no need to book, just go into the lifeboat shop attached to the station. Group visits can be booked in advance. The lifeboat shop is open at the following times from 3 Match until 20 December: Monday to Friday: 10am - 4pm Saturday: 10am - 1pm Sunday: 12pm - 4pm Please visit the station website for more information.
Hereford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“tour of Falmouth RNLI lifeboat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We visited the RNLI lifeboat centre in April 2014. The tour was both educational and enjoyable. Our giude, Keith, was friendly and knowledgeable and made us feel very welcome. I would recommend a visit particularly if you have a young family.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Peter W

England
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour of the Lifeboat Station”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to have a one to one tour of the lifeboat station, I can't recommend highly enough for you to do this tour as the knowledge of guide was amazing. We had a good look around both the inshore and all-weather boat where all the various features were explained. Thank you to Robert for showing us around!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Bidborough
Oxford, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Brilliant tour of RNLI Falmouth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We had a great tour, kids young & old had a good time. Severn class lifeboat is a seriously impressive machine. A must do at any RNLI around the country.

1 Thank C0ffeeSn0bs
Manchester, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Utterly brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Wow, I cannot believe I have not reviewed this place until now.
I love lifeboats! I am in constant awe of the folk who man them and envious of those who get to help look after the boats and equipment, if I ever get to live close enough I will be knocking the doors down!

Anyway I digress, the Falmouth station is not in the town centre so I doubt it gets the number of visits it should, please take the time to walk or drive round and have a visit, it is easy to find.

From the carpark where Event square/ Rick Steins chippy/the Maritime Museum is follow the road to the right keepeing the sea to your left, follow the road as it curves left and then when the road turns to the right with the docks entrance in front of you turn left, there is a carpark here as well, a very short way down and the station will be in front of you, then it gets good, very good indeed.

There is a shop, staffed by very nice ladies who as have been mentioned are very good at sales and have some great stuff to sell.

Ask for a tour and you will get one of the best tours of your time in Cornwall, not just Lifeboats, any tour.

Any and all questions (within reason I guess) will be answered, you will see the inner workings of the station, you will visit the inshore boat and have it explained to you and then my friend, you will get to board the awesome Severn class lifeboat, words by me cannot explain how brilliant this is! everything is explained, I even asked about fuel range and was shown the graphs relating to fuel burn over engine power !

All this is done by staff that are just overflowing with enthusiasm, they must have been asked mundane questions over and over again but talking to us it was like the first time they had said it!

A brilliant place to visit, run by great folk and for the best, bravest people this country has to offer.

Every year we visit, every year is just as good.

To the staff and crew of all the RNLI staions, THANK YOU

(Remember to throw a few quid in the box, worth it for the tour, even more if you need help, you are by the sea on holiday after all!!)

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Alexdoig
Nettleton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Don't leave Falmouth without visiting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

First things first - the RNLI Falmouth Volunteers really are excellent people.

My visit started with entering the shop and quickly having two lovely ladies proceed to sell me 90% of what was there. Therefore 'Free' is a matter of opinion! They would give Lord Alan Sugar a run for his money!

Once skint - I was offered a tour of the station and lifeboats by the most knowledgable John Davis. As a Merchant Navy Officer I was interested in some of the finer details of the vessel and its operation and was truly impressed with this gentleman's depth of knowledge, only surpassed by his enthusiasm.

There is not many charities that have this transparency, its not just putting money in a tin - you can get on these vessels and see where your donation goes. It does not matter your age or interests, you will be truly impressed by the visit and will give you a renewed passion for the RNLI's cause.

Visited September 2013