“wow,just wow.”

Underground
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Where do I start? I simply cannot begin to explain how great this place is! Obviously all the rumors were true... I have heard about The Underground a couple of times but never really thought to try it out for myself, until It was suggested by a close friend. Now I am kicking myself for not having had the urge to do so sooner. Yes the portions are massive, but i'm not complaining.They just taste so good. The place has such good vibes and it just makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. On top of all that the service I received was top notch, very welcoming and friendly which always makes a big difference.

There are newer reviews for Underground

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I went here for lunch on a rare outing without the children. We were not disappointed - the food was brilliant. I had the "little piggie" burger which was fantastic and my husband had the nacho burger which he really enjoyed. He said it was lovely to be able to have nachos with a burger instead of chips. The service is spot on. The owners are obviously hands on in the kitchen and the dining area so ensure that the diner receives the best quality. The puddings looked really good but unfortunately we were both too full to try them! As is says in the menu all food is cooked fresh to order so is does not arrive within 5 minutes of ordering but it came in a timely fashion and was definitely worth the 15 minute wait. We paid about £25 for two mains and two drinks which we both agreed was excellent value for the food we received. Would recommend to all.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We found this restaurant hidden away down some steps and although small, the atmosphere was really lovely. I had a chicken burger and my partner had a bacon cheeseburger and both were absolutely delicious. The portions were so huge that we couldn't manage a dessert afterwards but we did try some cocktails. The lady who served us was really friendly. The only downside was that they didn't accept card payments but this wasn't really a problem as there is a cash machine a couple of doors down. We would definitely recommend this place and hope to visit again soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed in Falmouth with a few of my friends for just under a week and each evening we went out to eat. We thought it might be a good idea to look on here to see what were the best rated restaurants in the area and I have to say....although at the moment this place is ranked 4th....it should simply be number 1. My friends and I agreed that not only was the food and service excellent, but the atmosphere was so retro, relaxing and welcoming.
My friend and I tried a few different cocktails too and the effort that you see the staff put into making them for your liking is so good and they were always a perfect combination with what will be the best burger you will more than likely ever have! I recommend disaronno sours and a cherry bakewell if you wanted drinks...they are very nice!
On a final note, my friends and I all agreed this place deserves to be ranked as the number 1 place to go for quality food and a nice evening, I am planning on going to Falmouth again this Christmas and I shall definitely be visiting again....thank you!

Dave :)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

As we approached the Underground it was raining pretty heavily and you descend down steps which are tiled and give the impression of entering an old public toilet. In reality I think the tiles are there to prevent you slipping on the steps but in any event be careful!

Inside it is quite small with low ceilings and first impressions are of the cavern club in Liverpool where the Beatles started out. The walls are covered in 80's copies of the NME and for a person of a certain age it brings back memories of school, girls, music and nightclubs. The lighting is quite subdued and intentionally basic and once again because of my age I struggled a little to read the small print in the menu.

The layout is split into two rooms. The steps from the street lead down into the small bar and waiting area with an archway into the main room which seats perhaps 20 - 30 people at capacity at solid, heavy wooden tables.

Beer and wine is bottled only which when I think about it doesn't detract from the experience at all. I went expecting an authentic American BBQ experience and the bottled beer just added to that.

The main reason for going was for the food and I have to say it was spot on. I'm the sort of person that when I have experienced something that is really really good I am always comparing everything else to it and this trip was no exception.

The hot wings as a starter were right up there with the best I have had. The chicken moist, well cooked and a good size. The Chilli coating was not the usual supermarket stuff and thick, sticky and complex in taste with just the right amount of heat. The dip was sour cream with some lumps of stilton in which whilst not the best Bleu cheese sauce I have ever had certainly was correct for the dish and more than good enough.

The pulled pork was the best I have had in the UK. Tender, BBQ's meat that melts in the mouth and soaked in a great BBQ sauce. Plenty of it as well and finished off with a baker Toms toasted Brioche bun. The whole experience was one where you close your eyes and feel really relaxed and transported back to old memories.

I tried the BBQ beans as well which were as close to a genuine US version as I have had in this country. Soft, squishy and that 'left in the pot' type of overcooking that they should have. Great tasting as well and not the usual shop bought BBQ taste. Just a little smoky as well perhaps.

All in all as somewhere to eat, have good food and a relaxed and enjoyable evening with friends I would really recommend this place. My only comment - and it is a comment rather than a criticism as we all have our own preferences - is perhaps the service was a little slow but this in no way detracted from the evening.

Price wise 3 bottles of beer, 3 cokes, chicken, pulled pork, beans and a starter were £42 so I would say middle of the road pricing and no complains.

If you like BBQ type food you won't go far wrong here. Especially if you are of a certain age for the decor!

1  Thank Fromredtogreen