“EXCELLENT WEEKEND BREAK”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We have just returned from yet another fantastic weekend break at the Royal Duchy. We had an excellent room with breath taking views of the sea. Hotel staff very freindly and extreamly helpful. Dinner with the restaurant was excellent. Worth every penny! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed August 7, 2010

Very helpful and friendly staff but otherwise old fashioned pile with little going for it. Not especially convenient location. Old fashioned decor and smelly carpets. No free wi fi. Uninteresting greasy breakfast. If you can afford these prices then find somewhere nicer to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I travelled to this hotel with my father on business and I was not satisfied with what I thought was going to be a magnificient hotel with a luxury spa etc... The service was second to none and I cannot complain about that but we went up to our room with an old lock key on the door - very poor security. We then dined in the restaurant, what a joke! My father returned from his meeting and thought he would splash out on "fine dining" - well it was the most revolting meal ever, with disgusting and extrodinary food I will not be returning to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank sam-walters
Reviewed July 3, 2010

On the first night we booked our evening meal for 8.00pm. Our order was taken at 7.45pm – we then waited, and waited, our starter eventually arrived at 9.35pm! our main course at 10.05pm and our desert at 10.35pm. It was gone 11.00pm before we left the restaurant!

On entering the lounge following the meal it was obvious that the other diners had had the same experience. We spoke to the restaurant manager who stated that such delays were normal for the fine-dining menu.

This is a lovely building in a stunning location with friendly and helpful front of house staff but the dining arrangements need urgent attention since none of the guests we spoke to would consider a Brend Hotel again.

On returning home we wrote to the Director of Brend Hotels (politely) and received a very condescending and dismissive reply which included the statement “this may not be the hotel for you”. Well he is certainly right about that.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank telshirlSouthend
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I spent just two nights at this hotel on my own and it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I parked easily adn booked in. The room was really nicely decorated, spacious and spotless. There were lots of lovely little touches - returning from my evening meal to find the bed had been turned down and a little choclate placed on the pillow. Although I was on my own I never felt awkard, the staff were lovely and very attentive. The food was wonderful and there was plenty of it. The views were stunning and it was really good to sit out on the terrace late afternoon with a pot of tea. On both days I walked in Falmouth centre about 7 mins away. The harbour was lovely and I took advantage of a boat trip over to St Mawes. I came away really looking forward to going back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2010

had a lovely weekend here, bedrooms very good, staff attentive, as stated above, the food was very good but portions could be bigger.
the overall ambience in the hotel was excellent.
the position of the hotel gives great access to both the coastal paths and to the falmouth town centre.
overall we would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We were visiting family in the area during the half-term break in the midst of GCSE exams. We took two smaller (cheaper) sea facing rooms which were perfectly adequate, soft beds with older furniture but a very modern shower/bath in one room. Breakfasts were very good; buffet for the cereals/yoghurts and a served cooked breakfast. Staff were excellent and very friendly particularly the evening bar steward and the concierge/porter. Children were studying in the lounge area and were looked after by the staff. Wide range of guests from the older couples to families with young children. For us a perfect location, away from the busy town centre of Falmouth and beach but not too far to walk to either. Very relaxing and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
#5 of 24 in Falmouth
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!