“Fantastic views”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Southampton UK
“Fantastic views”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Lovely hotel with fantastic views. All of the staff were very helpful. Nice rooms with everything in them. Breakfast very good selection and quality. There is a pool but I forgot to take my trunks to try. Next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night in one of the sea view rooms. The style of the hotel is very traditional and on looking at the website photos you might think other hotels in the area seem more stylish but having visited many of the big hotels in the area, I can tell you that this hotel is the one to pick if you want a hotel that has it all! Superb service, yummy food, wonderfully comfortable rooms, and it is in a great location for the best spots in town and sea/castle views.

The staff are the real gem of this place - friendly, capable, willing, and helpful. They really made our stay special. Myself and various members of my family stayed at this hotel on nights before the wedding and everyone was very impressed. They had a games room setup (I think that this is only setup during holidays) with books, TV, wii and games for families - which was useful to keep the kids entertained.

We used the pool and the kids loved it. I had a makeup session done in the beauty room and the lady did a great job. Overall this hotel is perfect for any occasion.

Fab Service - The staff are professional and super helpful. Restaurant is excellent.
Great Location - Great! Easy walk to fun stuff in the town, but still manages to feels quiet and secluded when in hotel or sitting at the sea front.
Rooms - comfortable and sea view room is very romantic.

Room Tip: Room - Get a sea view room if possible - it is well worth the extra money. but if you have kids th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna C
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 4 nights in a deluxe sea view room and can't say enough about the place.
The staff are all very friendly and the food superb. My wife is vegetarian and they set her a separate menu and not just risotto or pasta.
Didn't try the pool it looks small.
Pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: Can only comment on sea view rooms on first floor we had 119 excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

They thought they were sufficiently set up for wheelchair users, but we surprised them! We requested a couple of rooms at short notice, one for me (60) and one for my father (86) - he was the one in the chair. It was a treat for him as it is so difficult to find any hotels that have access to rooms and bathrooms. Are there any out there?
We arrived early as it was only an hour's drive from his home, and we took lunch on the terrace. What a view, and what super sunny warm weather to enjoy, till our rooms were ready at 2pm. That's when we found we couldn't get into the bathroom with a wheelchair. We borrowed one without self propelling wheels for bathroom access, but really it was better to go down to the specially adapted loo by the front door.
That's when we nearly had a disaster; my father pushed open the door with such force that it swung right out across the entrance, potentially knocking for six any person walking past, in or out of the hotel. Silly place to locate the door for people who, in chairs, struggle to opens door outwards.
At dinner, the meal arrangement wasn't explained or mentioned to us and we, with my sister who lives close by, all found our choice of main course (sea bass) was unavailable. The Manager explained to us, on behalf of a foreign waitress who couldn't, that our meals were included in our overnight rate, and that is was the set menu... Or something! Baffling that we couldn't have the Dover Sole either. Anyway, the food was delicious, and three courses were very filling in total. I was a it miffed to find only three small slithers of lamb on top of my potato. A couple more would have been very welcome.
In the morning my father looked in on the purpose built disabled suite (who needs a sitting room as we'll?) on the ground floor, with no sea view, and found that although he could drive his wheelchair into the bathroom he could not reach the bath beyond the basin! So it hadn't been tested by anyone who needs a wheelchair - most surprising. So our conclusion was that the Royal Duchy needs to do a bit more to make a visit easy for people like my dad.
And so do all the other hotels. What a lot of business they must be missing. Not one is available in any of the big towns in this area or where I live in Norfolk.
But we did enjoy our stay nevertheless!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I wouldn't give this hotel a 4 star rating, I would give it a 5 Star. The Duchy, was set in a good location, overlooking the sea, rain or shine there was always something to do.
Very friendly staff, rooms were very clean & comfortable, breakfast / Dinner was lovely. Swimming Pool/Sauna was fab too.
Pendennis Castle is, I would say a 20-30min walk from the hotel and worth a visit.
Only thing I would say - the hotel should have a taxi number on their website, as when we arrived at Falmouth Docks, there was no taxi rank, you can walk, but if you have family with you, that are unable, then your pretty much stranded... luckily someone came to our aid and phoned their local taxi firm - - - Taxi I would recommend is Donald's - their number is 01326 313 123, costs £3 to Hotel. I would definitely recommend this Hotel to anyone. We are hoping to visit again in the near future - - - Again, big Thank you to all the staff at The Duchy.

Room Tip: book for a sea view - something about waking up over looking the sea - makes the holiday complete.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel is all about location location location! Tea on the terrace over looking the sea on a hot summer's day is just a spectacular view. Prior to my visit to the Royal Duchy I had visited Falmouth before, but after this visit I have to say that I feel in love with the place.

The Royal Duchy offers traditional English Hotel setting with decent standards of services. Staff were pleasant and very efficient ensuring my stay was a pleasant one. I stay here on business, in a single room. While this was a little small, it was of a good standard. On business I tend to measure my room by a decent bed and a decent shower, and I am happy to say both were excellent. Free Wifi is always a bonus, and the evening maid visit to touch up the room didn't go unnoticed either.

Very much recommended when exploring the south west Cornwall. Will be booking my mum in here next year for her 60th.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave C
Cardiff
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights for a sort of honeymoon break after getting married in August. We arrived there about 9pm and were expecting pure luxury. The location was excellent with most rooms having a beautiful seafront view. However, we had stayed at the St Davids Hotel in Cardiff just before, which was cheaper and was in a different class.
We had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant on the second night. My only grouch is that we could not get any sort of meal when we arrived on the Friday night, and ended up searching Falmouth for a takeaway.
The staff were very helpful and the hotel was clean, but if you are expecting lavish luxury like we were, its not quite there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!