“Fantastic location, attentive staff, good restaurant”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, attentive staff, good restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at The Royal Duchy Hotel with my elderly mother in August. We booked two single rooms for 5 nights with B&B daily and dinner in the restaurant 3 of the nights. The purpose of the trip was a walk down memory lane for my mother who had holidayed in Falmouth as a child before the war and had always wanted to return. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. The view from the restaurant and terrace of the bay could not be better. The breakfast had a good choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, breads and cheeses plus a variety of cooked breakfasts. A choice for all tastes and requirements. The dinner although not huge portions was excellent, good menu choices and expertly prepared. The restaurant and bar staff kind and attentive and most of the time efficient and professional. There was musical entertainment most nights which was of a high standard. There are facilities for families with children and and a lovely indoor pool.The hotel is well positioned. It is about a ten minute walk into Falmouth town (quite hilly) or a short bus ride from outside the hotel. Taxis are also readily available and about £5.60 into town. All in all we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would and would return again. The only down side being that the hotel single rooms are all at the back of the hotel with views over the kitchens. I moved rooms twice as the first room 224 had a noisy fan outside the window going on all night from the kitchen fridges and the second room 220 was unbearably airless and hot as it only had a tiny window. Other than that i would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
London
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We spent four nights here in late August and had a truly memorable stay. All the staff, bar none, were polite, warm, respectful and made sure our stay was as welcoming as possible. We were made to feel at home from the start.

Everybody had a greeting for us, never once were we made to feel a nuisance. Everything we asked for, we got.

Well done everyone, the UK holiday industry is in safe hands with your service.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently had dinner at the Royal Duchy Hotel with family (6 Adults, 2 Children). The food was wonderful, sumptuous and the service was excellent and courteous. The ambience of the restaurant is simply great with the view overlooking the sea. The children's meals were tasty and the portions were large. The bill which included a bottle of good red wine, six adult's dinner and two children's dinner was extremely reasonable and value for money. Kudos to the staff for their highly efficient service and friendly demeanor. I would rate this experience "top class". They also had laid out a barbecue outside for the guests and the lounge had plenty of toys/ books for the children to be kept occupied.

Room Tip: Ideally, book a Sea facing Room. Plus, visit their website to view the seasonal room rates.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked this hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and were greeted as soon as we got out the car, we checked in then went to the pool/sauna area where we were booked in for a pamper session,WOW the beautician, Michelle(I think), was really polite and friendly and had us relaxed within minutes!we both came out fully refreshed and feeling good,in between the treatments she also sorted out lunch menus. We had cream teas in the afternoon and the scones were awesome, they even sorted some gluten free for my mum (well impressed). Many thanks to the kitchen staff. Later we had our evening meal,we were greeted as we went in and shown to our table,the staff we so polite and friendly. The food was delicious my wife would reccommend the duck which was very moist and tender. Another nice touch was a complimentary bottle of wine from the manager Barry, He was very attentive to all the guests and making sure everything was running smoothly. Our room was lovely with a sea view and a lovely big king sized bed. The whole experience was awesome, I would definately go back and highly reccommend this hotel. A big thank you to all the staff.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can honestly say that this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at. 'Relatively' small for a four star hotel but this is a bonus in my view. The rooms were immaculate, the food was great, the facilities excellent. Small lounges to hide away if preferred though never far from the heart of the hotel.

Please see an extract from my follow-up note to the general manager following my stay:

"Over the last weekend I had the pleasure to stay at your hotel with a large group of my family.

I just wanted to say that I was extremely impressed by your hotel and staff.

I have the dubious pleasure of staying in many hotels around all parts of the world, particularly Europe and North America. This is due to my job. This has led me to develop quite defined views about what makes a good hotel...

I have to say that I have NEVER experienced such faultless service. I was served at various times by a large cross section of your team. Absolutely everyone, without exception, offered courteous, friendly, warm and professional service at all times. From your reception and bar staff to your restaurant and chamber team the service was faultless.

I know from my own experience what a challenge it can be to create this kind of culture that permeates a whole team and business. It is perhaps the hardest thing to get right and I believe you and your team absolutely excel in this regard! Please accept my sincere thanks and congratulations on your unsurpassed levels of customer care.

I would request that you do please pass these comments directly to your own manager, if possible a member of the ownership group. I would like them to hear what an excellent job is being done, though I am sure they must already be aware."

These comments were no exaggeration and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel! I consider myself to be a difficult customer at times who will complain very quickly if I am not happy. In this case I felt compelled to stress what an excellent experience I had at the Royal Duchy.

somerset
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have just arrived back from The Royal Duchy after another relaxing stay. The staff can not do enough for you and the Head Waiter is first class also Steve the wine waiter is great there is nothing he does not know about wines. Everything about the Hotel is first class. I think it is a shame that they have droped the dress code as all the peole that work there are dressed really nice and some of the guests who stay dress so scruffy it does not go with the Hotel.So if you want good food a relaxing break then the Royal Duchy has it all. I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff that looked after us.

Room Tip: The rooms which face the sea are lovely rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank somerset618
N.Devon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Spent 3 nights here last week and this will be approaching our 10th year of visiting. Never had a bad experience, hence! At no point do the the staff disappoint. Michael and his team are a credit to this lovely Hotel. I've seen previous comments about it being 'tired' and 'outdated' etc. Buckingham Palace probably is! Falmouth has everything for everyone and if you fancy a nice walk follow the coast road (left out of the Hotel) and walk into town. Thanks again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!