“Exceptional”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great room with fantastic views overlooking the sea in Falmouth.

Excellent staff with special mention to the Porter (sorry didn't get his name) who went out of his way and beyond his duties to make the stay very special for our family who had booked for a wedding at the nearby Pendennis Castle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julian C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I spent one night in this hotel in July 2013 and I could not fault it. The staff were very friendly and welcoming - I had a single room and it had everything I needed. The food was great and the drinks in the comfortable bar were good average prices. Highly recommended!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank June501
Malvern UK
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Visiting solo in July/August 2013 I booked a double room so as to be able to stretch out. Bed very comfy but room very tight for two. In my eighties, I find things a struggle, and with no grab-handles in the bathroom it was dicey having a shower. Similarly I was unable to use the pool because I would have to scramble down the ladder, so my pamper day was less than it could have been. The staff are all extremely pleasant and helpful and my room was always spotless. The food could do with a bit of updating and a change of menu each day would be good. A bit unexciting when staying for a week. The hotel group seem to be catering mostly for families, but we oldies deserve a good deal too, and with a bit of forethought and expense it could be so much better for us. I would search around a bit before booking here again.

Room Tip: Get the best you can afford
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
BrendHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Duchy Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
Our restaurant dinner menu does change both daily and with the seasons. We are proud of our two AA Rosettes and our Head Chef strives to make his dishes both attractive and imaginative whilst appealing to all tastes.
We do offer an alternative menu throughout the day in our Terrace lounge and any special requests for specific or favourite dishes can be catered for in the restaurant if requested.
We have taken on board all your comments and I am sorry that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay with us. If you would like to make a reservation with us in the future please contact the hotel directly and then we can ensure that your needs are catered for.
nazeing
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Staff are very pleasant, the view over the sea is amazing, you could be on the cote d'azur. The rooms are scattered over various floors along long corridors, I was at the end in a single room and could hear some kind of boiler all night. I was in Falmouth to pick my son up from Uni. I was on my own in the evening but felt very comfortable, the lounge was full of pensioners enjoying a tipple.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Duchy for just over a week in July 2013.
The hotel is beautifully appointed and is very well run in a traditional way. The attention to detail is refreshing. We opted for a 'de-luxe' room and it was lovely. The room had two comfy armchairs and provided a pair of binoculars and it was lovely to just sit and watch the sea. We also enjoyed fresh flowers and chocolates. The room was nicely furnished and we had loads of wardrobe and storage space.

Although we didn't take kids - it was evident that the hotel catered very well for them with lots of games and toys in their own 'play room'. The hotel's concierge efficiently moved our luggage and was so friendly and welcoming. In his spare time he gave the kids rides around the place on his luggage trolley.

We planned to use the lovely pool but enjoyed such lovely weather that we spent more of the holiday out and about and we simply didnt have the time.

Food was of a high quality and nicely presented. I'm not a huge fan of cooked breakfasts but have to say that on the days that I indulged they were cooked to perfection. The dining room staff were all very welcoming and seemed to take pride in their work. My only niggle - and its a small one - the food was very very good but it was evident that the menus were repeated after only five days so if you stayed for longer as we did - we had a couple of nights of the same choice. Given that the hotel is so close to Falmouth where there is lots of competition for food - I think that the hotel should think about this.

All in all a lovely hotel and I would recommend it to others and will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carolf46
Fareham
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Positives:
- Staff very attentive
- Good position in Falmouth
- Right on the promenade, if that's what you want
Not so positive:
- Good food but small quantities, not two rosettes
- Decor tired in dining room
- We were advised they preferred people to wear jacket and tie for dinner, thankfully most people ignored it
Negatives:
- Rooms cramped
- No air conditioning, had to keep door ajar for a through draft
- Very pricey for what it was

Room Tip: Ignore the jacket and tie request if you want to
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick I
Hollywood, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2013

First the good things; write on cliff road which faces the water, breakfast was great, short walk to train and short walk to downtown Falmouth and Falmouth docks, plenty of stuff to run or walk nearby. Now the not so good things; rooms are tiny and made even tinier with two desks in the room, no AC in the room, Seagulls doing their business right outside the window and horrible views from the room. also I understand why it is done but business casual is required for dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Also when they ask if you want a newspaper it isn't free it is just that they will go get it for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!