“5 day break”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
“5 day break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Having been to the Duchy a few times before we were pleasantly suprised at the overhaul the hotel had had. especially the bathrooms ( apart from the shelf under the mirror which banged your head when washing, and it you are short you could'nt get close enough to put you makeup on ). the staff as always are really superb, nothing is too much trouble.The pool is lovely for an afternoon swim in the wintertiime. The only drawback is the food. The breakfast is great and plentiful but the main menu of starters and main courses are modest in size ( very nouvelle cuisine) but the meat and fish is always good. There is a sad lack of vegetables and some are a bit way out (a dish of roasted baby tomatoes and broccoli).It would have been nice to have some Cornish new potatoes and some of the varied and plentiful local veg, The potatoes we had were cooked some time earlier and them crushed( as is the fashion) I hate the taste of re heated potato.
The chef also seemed to have a real love of beetroot.
The biggest let down was the sweets menu, certainly not up to the !st and main courses. Mostly cut into squares from a bigger one and always ice cream or sorbet.No Cornish cream or a nice creme anglaise. and no pastry at all. Ice cream is what you eat on the beach, its not an acceptable sweet at a 4 star hotel. I don't expect to have a square of ginger cake and a scoop of ice cream, its a bit like school dinners. It never used to be like this..... get yourselves a new pastry chef!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed at the Royal Duchy many times previously, usually for short breaks or over the Christmas/New Year period. This time we stayed between Christmas and New Year in a room with a fantastic sea view. The rooms are large, warm, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The facilities are good with comfortable lounges and a good swimming pool complex.
The staff are without exception extremely friendly and helpful
The hotel is close to the town centre and there are good walks along the sea front.
Breakfast and evening meals are good though for the first time we thought that meals seemed to be budget-influenced with some dishes at breakfast that had previously been included in the menu now charged as supplements.
All in all though, still our first choice in Falmouth.

3 Thank Halladay
Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a Turkey and Tinsel - but it was not very Christmassy. No Father Christmas – the entertainment was a resident DJ where we shared the dining room with other Christmas Parties. A little more effort would have made this a much more enjoyable trip.

I get the impression that coach parties are not as individuals, I have stayed at this Hotel before as a couple it was better.

I have given this a low rating because apart from the decorations…..would you know it was Christmas?

Also room 202 – I had a view over the roof, hum from the kitchen (which you only heard at night)….

Room Tip: Avoid room 202
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have stayed at this Hotel many times before. We had a free room upgrade for Christmas and it is well worth having a sea view. There was only one easy chair in the room but that did not bother us as one of us usually lounges on the bed!
Entertainment was good - but do not expect Concert hall perfection -this is a Christmas break at a hotel! Particularly recommended was the harpist and the Casino night albeit with play chips!! A coach trip to Truro was arranged before and after Christmas - well worth going if you have not been before.
Food very good 26th onwards but not great for the trad Xmas day meal. Staff superb & really helpful. Needs to work on attracting younger generation.

2 Thank 108Bubbles
CORNWALL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My department held its xmas party in the Royal Duchy on 14th Dec 2012, we had the biggest number of people at the party, numbering 40+, some stayed the night, and some just came in for the party.
As the organiser i cannot recommend this Hotel enough, everyone who works with me had nothing but praise for the whole experience.
The staff where friendly, helpful, and couldnt do enough for us, and the party night exceeded all our expectations, good food, fantastic service, well decorated and good disco.
Everyone commented on how comfortable the rooms where, and how clean and tidy, the sea view rooms being the favourite (worth the extra few quid)
(went for a swim in the pool, a tad small but very clean)
Breakfast was also good.
Should i be chosen as the party organiser in 2013 i would have no hesitation in going back and booking this hotel again...!!!!
Many thanks to all the staff involved :-))

Room Tip: Sea view room no hesitation :-))
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank THE HOLIDAY2
Plymouth, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night for a Xmas Party evening. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon slightly earlier than we should however, the reception staff could not have been more welcoming and after a very brief check by housekeeping we were allocated our room. Our room had a lovely sea view and catered for all our needs. We then decided to go for a stroll and walked up to Pendennis Castle and around the moat which was lovely and nice to catch a breath of fresh air. On returning to the hotel I noticed that my jeans were all muddy due to some dogs that had brushed past me whilst out walking so on returning to the hotel I asked the hotel porter if there was a clothes brush available, he said no but that he would get one from home and bring it to me later, now that's what I call SERVICE!!. We met our friends for dinner which exceeded our expectations as we did not think the Xmas menu read that well but we have to say all courses were delightful and once again the service was very good. We boogied the night away to the disco and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. We had breakfast the following morning and this too was very good however, we would have preferred breakfast to be slightly later on a Sunday morning as this was served between 7.30am until 9.30am, maybe 8 till 10.00am would be good. We would definately have given the hotel a 5 if only the pool had been slightly bigger. All in all we had a wonderful evening the only slight issue we had were that the rooms and all of the hotel were too hot and therefore, we did not sleep too well. Would highly recommend this hotel the staff, service and food were exceptional. The location of the hotel was lovely and would defianately recommend you ask for a room with a sea view on a high floor. Our friends had the Sir Francis Drake Suite and this was stunning. Chris and Jude, Plymouth

Room Tip: A room with a sea view and preferrably high up.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris_n_Jude
Newport, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here from 12.12.2012 - 13.12.2012 for business and my room was £60 including breakfast.

What a wonderful hotel and stay. As soon as I arrived I was greeted by the porter who took numerous bags from me - which was most helpful and aided me greatly.
Check in was smooth and again reception staff were pleasant and full of information. The porter helped me with my bags and took me to my room. He showed me what was in my room and also laid my suitcase out for me. I have NEVER EVER experienced such fanastic customer service. Due to business I am normally carrying several bags and get myself in such a pickle so this was a huge plus for me.
My room was beatifully decorated - full of style. Crisp white linen and white fluffy towels. The bathroom was modern and clean.
The facilities are second to none - sky sports on my TV, lota of buscuits and a full mini bar! Many toiletries in the bathroom. Good strong wi-Fi also.
I ordered room service and the lady brought my up a menu which again i thought was excellent customer service. The food was top quality and plentiful.
I slept fine throughout the night even though the wind was howling.
I was impressed with my stay and would of gave it 5*'s but for what happened in the morning. I was getting ready to go to breakfast wheb at 9.10am a knock at my door and a abrupt girl asked me "should i come back later?" and I was like 'well yeah I'm still in my room and it's 9.10am" I thought this was silly early to be trying to clean rooms and I felt like I had to be rushed out of my room then. It soured the experience as I felt rushed and her attitude was not good. Amazing how one bad service experience can marr an entire everyone else.
I reported this to reception on check out which was hassle free and once again was helped by the porter with my bags.
I would stay again but hopefully my comment about housekeeping has been noted. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SmileyBlondieGirl84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!