“Wonderful stay”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights, the staff were all excellent and very pleasent, nothing was too much trouble for them, but then again there was nothing to complain, the food was good, room was good we had a suite with a sea view a bit expensive but well worth the money, we would definately go again and would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank msmith25
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have recently had my second pamper day with the Spa and Beauty Department. The services provided were excellent and good value for money. I would recommend the pamper day where I could swim, or sauna throughout the day. My treatments (included on the day) were a back massage, facial and beauty consultation. My therapist was excellent in all aspects of the treatment, providing friendly and informative service.
There was iced water provided throughout the day, tea and biscuits, and the food at lunchtime was delicious.
I found the hotel staff to be professional and welcoming with good knowledge of their products and services.
I am sure I will be returning on a regular basis for beauty treatments and the piece and tranquility of a pamper day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Jan R
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Have nothing but good things to say about the Royal Duchy Hotel in Falmouth, which is situated on Falmouth seafront.

I have visited this hotel many times and have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel entrance is beautiful and gives a very good first impression. The restaurant and gardens have views out over the sea.

The leisure complex is quiet and peaceful and very relaxing. The beauty therapist is excellent and I can thoroughly recommend all the treatments, a number of which I have experienced. The hot stone massage is truly sublime.

In my view, this is the best hotel in Falmouth.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Jaycie34
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and were very disappointed in this hotel. We paid £220 a night for a sea view room and the room was tiny with a partial sea view. The decoration was very dated and the bed headboard was very dirty and stained - not what you expect for that price.
The breakfast was very disorganised, the first day it took nearly an hour for our cooked breakfast to come. The second day the breakfast came pretty quickly but the plate was so hot my husband burnt his hand, but the food on the plate was cold.
There is also a charge for WIFI - not what you expect for £220 a night - although some people will not use WIFI.
The plus points - the location is great and the staff are very friendly, but these do not make up for the bad points.

There are much better places to stay in Falmouth.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SJ123
Reviewed June 8, 2012

£270 for 2 nights b&b is quite a lot of money no matter what time of year and I have to say we were both underwhelmed with what we got. This got us room 220 which mirrored the description of DebbieK20's review - a box room with a tiny bed and an ancient mattress that wobbled and sank at the tiniest movement. Paint is already peeling in this room in certain areas and there is no excuse for " black" grout in the bathroom - especially in a 4 star hotel. The only redeeming feature was a side view of the sea.
Breakfast seemed to be a hit and miss affair in terms of service. Day 1 no probs as were greeted by our waiter within a couple of minutes of sitting down and tea/coffee/toast/ mains all arrived in a timely manner but day 2 was completely the opposite. We arrived and sat down and despite the same waiter walking past us a number of times I had to ask him if we could have tea/ coffee 10 mins later! Toast was the same - it was ordered but we had to ask twice before it arrived but the biggest issue was the cooked breakfast. We had ordered with the toast and nearly 30 mins later it hadnt appeared. I finally called our waiter over who said he had "lost" the ticket! When the Restaurant Manager came over his view was that we " must have forgot to order it" - incredible! The duty Manager got involved and was genuinely sincere about what had happened and deducted breakfast off our bill. So day 2 breakfast never happened for us in the end and we ate down in Falmouth later on and had better food there anyway.
Other aspects of the hotel are really nice. The restaurant and bar are very stately rooms - really comfortable with lovely views. The pool is really nice as is the snooker room and sauna - we used these facilities on both days but hardly anyone else was using them.
In summary I can live with the odd isolated incident of bad service but cannot live with small old beds in small rooms when I am paying £140 per night for the privilege.
We loved Falmouth itself and will return but will find better value for money elsewhere

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Backwell5
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We have just come back from 3 nights here celebrating our parents ruby wedding. Our party consisted of 8 adults and 7 children age ranging from 7 to 14 years. We all had an amazing time with perfect weather. We all had great family rooms and the children had a fab time in the swimming pool and all the other facilities. We spent a day at the beach which is right opposite to the hotel and then we walked into falmouth and had lunch on the marina. The location of this hotel is fantastic! We spent time out on the sun loungers and the children played with the outdoor jenga and skittles and we were all very relaxed!
We dined every night and our thanks goes to all our waiters and waitresses who looked after out party so well. The food was outstanding and all the children tried something new and loved the fine dining!
We would like to give all the staff a massive Thank You for making our family celebration so special and for looking after us all so well.
We will definitely be back next year!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank KJDDevon
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The hotel itself is in a prime spot and the staff all very friendly and helpful however this is a 4 star hotel with 4 star prices and the bedrooms do not reflect that price...

I was quite amazed how small our standard room was and that it only had a double bed (we have not slept in one for 30 years and never in a 4* hotel). We had a terrible nights sleep in a tiny bed with an old mattress as when we tried to turn over you rolled into the middle of the bed. The rooms was tiny as well, however the man who snored all night long in the room next door obviously had a better nights sleep than us! When I did think I might have fallen asleep I was wakened at 7am by the sound of swirling water and I thought I was in an aquarium. The room became alive with the sounds of all the showers and baths being run in the neighbouring rooms and subsequent water running down pipes..

I did ask reception if all the bedrooms had double beds and was advised that they do apart from the superior rooms - I really feel that even though the rooms are tiny all customers in this day and age paying to go to a high rated star hotel, expect to have a luxuirous bed and bedding and to get a good nights sleep. I have slept in better B&B's for a quarter of the price.

We had the evening meal (if not taken only a £10 deduction was allowed for a £35 meal), which was included in our deal but only just made it back for the 9pm deadline - there were a few people in the lovely large dining room but by 9.30pm we were the only diners left - leaving us to ask where everyone had gone - the same story in the bar - 10pm - all but empty on a Saturday night - no music, no people, it seems an extraordinary waste of resources and revenue!

Such a lovely well positioned hotel, ruined for us by not actually catering for its guests in a 4* manner but who are paying 4* prices.

Room Tip: Pay more for a superior room if you want to stay here