“Outstanding!”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
N.Devon
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Just spent 2 days of bliss at the Duchy.Staff are ALL fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble! We had Dinner bed and breakfast and I can honestly say I have never eaten such beautiful food. Better than the 'Mayfair' in London and much cheaper! I overheard someone complaining that their 'spiced beef carpaccio' was cold and tasted funny?? It was delicious!!!!! Thankyou for 2 really relaxing days.Will return with the kids next time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mose1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We have just spent 3 nights at the Royal Duchy and enjoyed it very much. Wonderful ambience, beautifully appointed with a great view of the sea. We enjoyed the outside patio and the lounge. Our bedrooms were well apointed, very comfortable and clean. We did not eat in the dining room at night or lunchtime so cannot comment on that but bar, tea service was good. Breakfast was excellent with good choices. However, the fish choices were at an additional cost. This would have been ok but I felt that these were spoiled because the hotel tried too hard with their presentation. A piece of smoked haddock nicely poached with an egg on top is delicious. The hotel has spoiled this by smothering the haddock in sauce which took away from the flavour of the fish. I would suggest that the breakfasts are kept simple. Otherwise, fantastic.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank VMDToronto_Canada
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

I had booked a single room at the hotel so was delighted to be given a double room upon the efficient and friendly check in. My room was quite a walk although very nicely furnished if a little small. I did pass a single room being serviced and was pleased I had been upgraded as the single was tiny. The bathroom was clean and tidy although the shower was hard to manage. Either steaming hot or icy cold. No happy medium unfortunately.

I was contacted by reception shortly aft check in to see if I was ok which was a nice touch and all the staff I met on my visit were very helpful and friendly.

I didn't get to experience breakfast as I had a very early start the following day, but I would recommend the hotel to others. The communal areas of the hotel are stunning.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank mrsmillsee
bristol
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel has a very luxurious feel. Everything about it is smart, clean and to a very high standard. The bedroom was to a high standard as were the bathroom facilities. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Although we only had breakfast at the hotel it was excellent. We will be back later this year. Well done The Duchy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank fredaBristol
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My second stay at this lovely hotel. A warm and friendly hotel with excellent staff that more than lives up to its four star rating. Bedrooms are to a high standard as are all the public rooms. Food is also very good. The hotel is in a peaceful location and overloooking the sea yet only 15 minute stroll to the town centre.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank johntrav2
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I thought staff are very friendly, good location, I have stayed a few other 4-5 star hotels in Falmouth but this one the best. Only bad thing I can say is no free Internet been told I can buy voucher for Internet that would cost me £6.00 for 90 minute, I thought I can use my 3G but couldn't get strong signal, if you are coming for bussnies this is not the one for you part from that it's great

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Nitec34
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We had been recommended this hotel and told the food was of a high standard! I am sorry to say that the restaurant let the hotel down in a massive way. The menu offers a few courses with a supplementary charge - the first night I ordered a main course from this and 5 mins later was told it was not available (fillet beef). So I changed my mind and chose a starter of scallops from this menu and a main course from the regular menu. 5 mins later I was told that the chef didn't have the scallops either! By this time I was a little exasperated. The only 2 dishes I took a fancy to on the menu were both being shown to have the same accompaniments - asparagus and white wine foam. So I asked if the chef could serve the main course with something different, which he did, but not particularly to my liking. I complained bitterly and we were offered a drink afterwards. I was told that they would have both the beef and the scallops on the menu the next evening. It took us an hr before we actually received our starters and then they made a mistake and brought out the same starter for us both, but my husband had ordered something completely different! We were speechless. Unfortunately the 2 night did not improve - my lamb, although ordered medium, came up practically raw and was returned. It was tough and very fatty. My husbands dessert had paper still attached to either the top of the parfait or the bottom of the caramel crisp. again they couldn't apologise enough and offered us yet another free drink, which we declined! At the breakfast we asked for Worcester Sauce for my husbands sausage - the waiters had no idea what we were asking for and offered us mustard! We told him that he would find it in the bar, but he insisted they didn't have any. Funnily enough it was by the tomato juice!

The room we had was excellent and the views amazing, the staff on the whole pleasant - but for the price we paid and the fuel getting down to Cornwall would have given us a week in a Self Catering cottage or a fantastic meal in a 2* Michelin restaurant in London - I know which we would have preferred!

I am sorry to say we would not return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Janesi19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!