“Not really expecting that”
Review of Orca Sea Safaris

Orca Sea Safaris
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I went with my elderly parents and was worried about access and also comfort. Steve the skipper could not have been more helpful and helped my Mum and Dad suit up and get comfortable on the amazing boat, felt a bit James Bond!

Whilst we did not see any whales we certainly enjoyed seeing the dolphins and bird life, some of the people on the boat cried when we saw the dolphins and to be honest that made the experience even more vivid.

In fact the tour of the coast with a really informative narrative was for me more enjoyable than seeing the dolphins and seals. The coastline was amazing and the boat seemed to positively relish the rather rough sea conditions and whilst we got a bit wet the suits kept us warm.

Our only complaint with the day was getting a parking ticket and I wish we had used the park and float which included all day parking, my Mum and Dad could easily have coped with the walk and I thing the Orca people should have made this clear.

All in all a highlight of our visit to Cornwall and only wish the parking warden had not been quite so quick with his tickets, which by the way I am not paying!

4  Thank elmcroft

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Was booked to go on this tour back in April. The people who run this company are all nice and friendly to take your money and reply to your email.
We had to come home early due to a death in the family so cancelled about 48 hours before the tour and asked about a refund!! And still to date we have had no contact from this company!!!!!
Really would not recommend at all!!
They have no compassion what so ever!!!

2  Thank Cajaki
Caroline H, Manager at Orca Sea Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Having read your review I am concerned, this is certainly not the way we deal with our customers. Given the situation you are referring to you would have been offered a full refund.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I spotted a coupon on Travelzoo before our holiday to Cornwall in May and took the opportunity to snap it up so that we could try going on on an RIB with this company.The day we went out, we were lucky because it was fairly bright but don't be fooled; there is a reason why they dress you up in overtrousers and a warm jacket before you get on the boat,it is absolutely FREEZING out on that water. So unless you are going out on a sweltering hot day be warned,in addition to what is provided you will need a hat and a pair of gloves otherwise you may end up like me,unable to feel your hands for half an hour after getting back on dry land. Another thing worth mentioning is that the RIB has "jockey" seats,so it is a bit like riding a horse for two hours,which can take a bit of getting used to but apparently is better for your back as the boat bounces along across the water. When you go on these trips it really is pot luck what you will see and in all honesty we saw very little other than a couple of gannets but we did enjoy the trip. The skipper was very informative about the area and you are out on the water for two hours so you get to travel quite a way along the lovely Cornish coastline. When the tour is done, you also get admission into the National Maritime Museum which is well worth a look. On the face of it,it might seem a costly day out but I would say look out for the offers;even without a discount it's a great experience.

2  Thank iannpaula
Reviewed June 30, 2012

On a recent holiday in Falmouth we decided to take the Orca Sea Safari. Unfortuntely, it was a very cold, rainy day but we were given "waterproof" jackets and trousers which turned out to be anything but waterproof and we returned to port soaked to the skin and freezing cold. The onboard commentary by the staff was inaudible and lacking in detail of local points of interest. The trip was overpriced in our opinion, costing double the money of another trip we took up the Helford River for the same amount of time. We saw 3 birds. We appreciate that the staff cannot magic up the wildlife but we felt that this trip was not worth the money (nearly £40 each if I remember correctly). Also, the seats on the boat were incredibly uncomfortable - like riding a horse with no saddle for 2 hours. Avoid this trip !!!!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is billed as a whale & dolphin watching trip and they do take great effort to be realistic and state that as wildlife, no sightings can be guarenteed, which is quite fair and correct. However the same is true about (for example) any walk along the shore where you might or might not see dolphins for example (we have but I wouldn't describe every coastal walk as a dolphin watching walk!). We saw 2 gannetts & 3 seals, nothing better than I've seen many time before!

So to summarize, a very proffessionally run RIB trip but in my opinion it is just that, a boat trip where you might or might not see dolphins or whales, rather than a whale/dolphin trip where you might not see any.

2  Thank nigelom