“Lovely lunch, like being in a French seaside bistro”
Review of The Shack

The Shack
Ranked #10 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Shack - a rustic shellfish bar in bustling Events Square, Falmouth, where the food is always fresh! Relaxed dining in an unrivalled atmosphere - with the focus on sparklingly fresh, local seafood. The idea is simple: sociable food and a fun, hands-on approach to shellfish. We've got something for everyone, from shellfish of every variety to fish of the day, steak, vegetarian options and a children's menu. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Autumn deal of 2 courses for £12 - see photo. Beautifully cooked and presented, generous portions. Nice wine list. Exceedingly good value. Wish we could have sampled the evening menu which looked fab.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Being seafood lovers, we went to The Shack with high hopes but, unfortunately, came away a bit disappointed. We shared a platter including oysters, mussels, crab and prawns - the freshness of the oysters was dubious so we just left them, the prawns were tiny and lacked flavour and the fact we ended up eating more chips that seafood, I think, says it all. We know Britain can offer seafood to compete with the best of abroad but The Shack, unfortunately, doesn't serve it.

1  Thank Esquila
T0b123, Owner at The Shack, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for your comments. I’m struggling with my reply.
We only serve the freshest of seafood, delivered on a daily basis…. if you thought you oysters we dubious… you could have informed us and we would have been more than happy to change them for you.
It sounds like you were fortunate to have the prawns from our locals waters which are very few and far between so I apologise that you did not appreciate them.
I can’t understand how you ate more fries than seafood…………. But anyway, I’m not really sure why people write certain reviews the way they do.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Called in to the Shack for lunch today, then realised just before ordering that we were at risk of a hefty car park fine, if we took too long about it. The friendly waitress assured us that this would not be a problem and indeed it wasn't. The tasty food - smoked haddock crab cake, fries and salad, and moules and fries - arrived very quickly. Both were really good. We will definitely return when we can take advantage of the 2-course lunch offer.

My only slight reservation and reason for the missing star, is that the atmosphere was a bit smoky when we went in - cooking type smoke I mean. Perhaps the extractor fan in the kitchen was not working well enough. A minor comment. Otherwise excellent experience.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We booked a table for lunch at 1pm and when we arrived the friendly and welcoming front of house staff indicated that we could choose our table as there were no other customers at that point and we chose at table with a sea view The three of us chose something from the very good value £12 for x 2 course lunch menu. My husband had the whitebait which he proclaimed as delicious, my son and I had the crab claws with garlic mayo, big claws with garlic mayo very yummy. For the main course my husband had the sea food chowder which was packed with flavour and chunks of seafood served with bread. My son had the hake which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had the mussel and chips which were so fresh and cooked to perfection. With this we had the very nice bottle of muscadet. I was the only one who couldn't resist the desert of the day which was a coffee and chocolate fondant served with either ice cream or clotted cream, it was indulgently rich. We would recommend The Shack.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Overall, this restaurant was very good. Loved the food and ambience and staff were very obliging. Not too expensive