“Not suitable for the Disabled”
Review of Glendurgan Garden

Glendurgan Garden
Ranked #3 of 62 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Lose yourself in the three valleys of Glendurgan Garden - full of fun, natural beauty and amazing plants. Discover giant rhubarb plants in the jungle-like lower valley and spiky arid plants basking in the sunny upper slopes. Wander through the garden down to the beautiful hamlet of Durgan on the Helford River: a place to watch birds and boats, skim stones and build sand-castles.Find a boat-seat, gigantic tulip-trees and ponds teeming with wildlife. Learn about the Fox family who created this 'small peace [sic] of heaven on earth.'
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I visited here with my 5 year old daughter and my parents. My father is the user of a motorised wheelchair and we were told it was possible for him to visit this property but we could only use a certain route and as it was so steep it would be better for myself to return back to the car park and drive to the bottom of the route to collect him rather than him try to return.

We set off but it became immediately evident that my father was more than a little uncomfortable going on such steep inclines and he asked that he be returned back to the restaurant where he sat with a drink and waited for us to return.

A great pity in my view having made the special trip there for him not to see any of the grounds. My daughter however had a wonderful time trying to find her way through the maze and being able to run through the wooded areas.

Whilst walking around we thought we were looking at a lake through the trees imagine our surprise when we left the National Trust property, walked a few metres and found ourselves on a beautiful picturesque rocky beaches looking at sail boats. Once again my daughter had a fantastic time climbing the rocks and paddling in the lovely clear water whilst my mother and I enjoyed just sitting looking at the view.

Would I return back to this property I'm not sure for a National Trust part it's a pleasant walk with some nice plantation but what made our trip memorable was the beach which doesn't belong to them.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely gardens... very well laid out and superb walk down to the sea..... maze was excellent ...had a great afternoon ...National Trust Property..highly recommended

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The gardens are beautiful, tea room and shop well worth stopping off in. Good selection of beautiful plants to buy.

JonODonoghue, Manager at Glendurgan Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear ymb1,

We're really grateful that you took the time to give us a review. Our gardeners, tea-room and shop teams will be really pleased to read your comments. I do hope we'll be able to welcome you to Glendurgan in the future - perhaps in the Spring when the banks are full of wild-flowers?

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I'm not a great garden person but visited Glendurgan with parents whilst in the area.
We were greeted by an enthusiastic gent as we drove into the parking area who explained the layout, and advised that there were no toilets or cafe once inside the garden so he recomended that you make use of the facilities before entering. We waited for a fellow NT person to guide us to a parking spot as parking spaces were limited as it was a busy period.

We partook in resreshments in the cafe, but as the previous review mentions were bothered by an excessive number of wasps, the hanging traps had caught quite a few but there were still a large number around.

The walk through the gardens was interesting and we visited the small village and beach at the bottom both of which are just outside the gardens but you can get refreshments and there are toilet facilities here ( they are not mentioned by the NT staff on arrival) even though they are NT

Dear elverman,

Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us here at Glendurgan. I'm pleased to read that our car park team were helpful at the start of your visit on a busy day.

Unfortunately given that our cafe has outside seating and we sell home-made cakes and cream-teas which contain sugar it does mean that wasps are attracted.

I'm sorry that we didn't mention the ice-creams and toilet in Durgan village at the bottom of the garden. Sometimes at our busiest we don't have the time to explain all the facilities on offer but our free welcome map does include all our eating, shopping and toilet facilities. You should have been given one of these on arrival - if not then I sincerely apologise.

I'm glad to read that you found the walk through the garden interesting despite not being a great garden person. Glendurgan is a balance of natural gardening (wild-flowers, wildlife, native trees) and an exotic plant collection. This combination in a valley setting leading to Durgan village on the Helford river makes for very enjoyable visits for our visitors. As you can probably imagine the garden changes a great deal throughout the seasons and I do hope you're able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

As NT members my husband and I visit as many gardens as we can. What a gem!
Well kept, interesting plants and useful information on the way around.
Also there is the added attraction of the village at the bottom.
We treated ourselves to a cream tea and were bothered by the wasps so be careful. Nobodies fault - nature at work!
We both thoroughly enjoyed our visit and could see an interest for families as well as us oldies!!

JonODonoghue, Manager at Glendurgan Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Julie D,
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review after your visit to Glendurgan. Thank-you also for your membership which helps us look after places like Glendurgan and the coast surrounding it. As garden enthusiasts you certainly came to a great county for plant collections and the natural beauty of our many gardens.
I was really pleased to read that you found the information we've placed around the garden useful - this is work in progress for us and we're trying to balance keeping the feel of a relaxed family garden without too much clutter and at the same time helping visitors of all ages discover more about the plants and stories Glendurgan holds.
We know our visitors love being outdoors at Glendurgan and they also love the local ice-cream and home-made cakes we sell. Unfortunately as you observed this does attract wasps but thankfully after an initial peak of activity they seem to have diminished now.

Thank-you again for your kind words which the team here will really appreciate - and we hope to see you at Glendurgan again soon.