“Excellent lunch in this bay front restaurant”
Review of Rick Stein's Fish

Rick Stein's Fish
Ranked #42 of 229 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Fish and seafood restaurant in Falmouth, with classic fish and chips at the heart of the menu and a selection of Rick Stein’s favourite seafood dishes.
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We visited "Rick Stein's Fish" (this statement throws up up a lot of connotations, but on this occasion it was his Falmouth Bay restaurant) in late October, a few days before a hurricane was due to land. The restaurant is across the square from the National Maritime Museum, which is where we came from after a morning's exploration of that magnificent building.

The restaurant interior is clean with floor to ceiling (white) tiles, solid wooden tables, bench seats and bar chairs (window seats). In high summer this would be a cool and refreshing environment to enjoy a meal and a drink but on a blowy autumn day it felt a bit clinical.

We went for a fish curry and battered haddock and chips. We waited for about 10-15 minutes for our meals (can't be sure, we weren't in a hurry). The fish was prepared and cooked fresh and worth the wait.

My haddock and chips was huge, accompanied by generous portions of tartre sauce and mushy peas. I got to work straight away on the fish which had been perfectly cooked in a crispy batter. The haddock was neither dry or undercooked and well with the tartre sauce. Both fish & chips had been cooked in beef dripping, this added a wonderful depth of flavour to everything.

Only after cleaning my plate did I realise I forgot to add vinegar (unforgivable when eating fish & chips in the UK). This possibly shows how good it was without!

I tried some of the fish curry, this was as good as I've tasted in any high end Indian restaurant.

To finish I had a piece of sunken chocolate cake with a serviceable scoop of clotted cream, followed by a double espresso.

By this time I had warmed to our surroundings (maybe because the wind was trying to whip up the tables and chairs on the other side of the window) and felt like delaying our exit.

We paid about £13 each without the drinks. My two courses were part of a meal deal. All of this was brilliant value.

The service was friendly, and the restaurant maintained a brisk stream of trade while we were there. Mr Stein should be assured that everything done his name was excellent.

There are newer reviews for Rick Stein's Fish

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I mean we really were looking for eating at this cafe. Moules mariniere were just perfect, i tried them everywhere i could and must admit this could be the best, but the crab dish i ordered from specials board was nothing then tasteless.....

Reviewed November 6, 2013

really nice place, airy, friendly staff, good food and not pricy at all
it's the rick stein version of a fish and chips restaurant, so don't expect the real deal, but absolutely worth the money, we had crab and lobster, both excellent
i'm just sorry i did not try the fish and chips because they looked yummie !
will be back

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Spending a weekend in Cornwall and visiting relatives in Falmouth decided to give Rick Stein's Fish a try. However, on arrival found the restaurant closed. This was a complete shock as I had telephoned earlier in the day to check opening times etc. To be honest I am very disappointed at this exceptional level of inadequate communication in a business which has perhaps by now reached the limits of its competence. I don't think we will be giving it a second chance.

2  Thank Brea1954
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Lovely setting, dint like the bench seating arrangement but food quaulty and service were excellent. A little pricey but you do pay for the name. Hubby had the Indian fish curry , loved it.
Been , done it , got to try once.