We attended the Merchant Manor Hotel as guests of a company for a Christmas meal on the Saturday evening before Christmas. When we arrived, we went to the bar to get a drink- this took about 10 -15 minutes to get served. There were at the most 3 bartenders and there was only 1 person in front waiting to be served. This was very frustrating and we had never known this to happen when the hotel was run as "the Green Lawns." At 7.30pm, we were all ushered in to the dining room to eat. Some of the girls immediately noticed how cold the room was as being a Christmas event, some had sleeveless outfits on. It appeared that the radiators were only warming up after we had been sitting down for about 20 minutes. We were also squashed like sardines at the table. There were about a dozen of us . Surely the restaurant would have warmed the room up first then turn the heating down? The starters arrived quite promptly-- very disappointing, as one of the diners on our table remarked how "minimalist" it was. This was the salmon and beetroot dish. Then, it was 9.00pm when the main course arrived. This was an unacceptable delay as we have never been to a meal where diners had to wait an hour and a half for the main course. The timing of the meals should not have posed a problem for the hotel as they were given guests' choices well in advance (that is, about a week in advance). The roast potatoes were rock hard, we couldn't poke our forks into them. We think that they were probably frozen and not heated through properly. The next lot of potatoes were much better. There were a couple of diners still eating their main dish when the waitress started removing everybody's plates away. This was an absolute "faux pas" in terms of customer service! This waitress was obviously not trained to wait until everybody had finished. Very embarrassing as the diners had to quickly eat up. The desserts were ok but not memorable. The coffee was served in expresso type cups. In all, it gave you the impression that the management were "cutting corners." I would not recommend this venue for a meal- the service was untrained, food poor, delays unacceptable. It is a shame as we have been to several dinner and dinner dances before the Green Lawns was taken over by the Merchant Manor with no complaints. To date, not impressed with the service and restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine your perfect holiday - a privately run Cornish Hotel, with far reaching views across the stunning Falmouth bay, South Cornwall. The Merchants Manor is unpretentious and yet wonderfully individual and provides the perfect base from which to explore the Cornish Riviera. Merchants Manor offers friendly and professional service and the kind of efficiency you would expect from a luxury Falmouth Hotel. Whoever you are or whatever you're looking for, whether that is a family holiday, a hotel perfect for Weddings in Cornwall, Merchants Manor is just fitting for all your needs. Come and enjoy attractive accommodation, good food and service reminiscent of a bygone era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your Merchants Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Green Lawns Falmouth
- Green Lawns Hotel Falmouth
- Merchants Manor Falmouth, Cornwall