“Marvelous spot in Falmouth”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Brazil
“Marvelous spot in Falmouth”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had a great time at St Michaels hotel while in England last summer. The location of the hotel couldn't be better, the back yard has a garden that leads you right to Queen Mary's Garden which is beautiful next to Gyllynvase Beach. The hotel staff is very hard working and I'd like to thank specially the people at the restaurant who where very nice to me. A special thanks to Bernie, Joe, Pinkie and some others that I can't remember the names. Thank you for the girls that cleaned my room. My room was small but very comfortable and from my window I could see the ocean that was a delight. Many thanks to all the staff of St. Michael. I LOVE FALMOUTH

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have booked this hotel for a few people now. A really top place to stay, great rooms and the staff are really friendly. Very relaxing bar area. Really recommended as the place to stay on a visit to Falmouth.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This weekend in the glorious Cornish sunshine myself and some of my family members enjoyed a trip to this hotel for a spa treatment each and coffee and lunch on the terrace...

The spa - The beauty therapist were friendly and professional we were all impressed with their kind manner and they really are a credit to this hotel. However your first impression of the spa is not the lovely therapists but the sour faced receptionist who not only found it impossible to crack a smile she was neither helpful or friendly (In fact a women was locked out of her swimming changing room locker and she told the women - who was dripping wet and in swimming attire to wait a moment before she dealt with her..!) Our treatments were however divine and the relaxation room a wonderful extra (especially with the sun streaming in!)

The Restaurant - Coffee one of the nations favourite treats, however my (cold) coffee at St Michaels was not a relaxing one! We waited 40 mins for 3 cups of coffee and when they eventually arrived they were far from hot. The waitress was clearly not coping and several other tables were forced to remind her of their order or in fact lack of.
For lunch the food was delicious (if slightly over priced for the portion size) i had the wholemeal bagel with salmon and prawns and it was delicious. However the general service of the restaurant staff left a lot to be desired, they didn't seem to know what they were doing, no tables were cleared and seagulls were circling the outside terrace. Wine options were not offered up just a couple of examples of how the customer service could be improved...

Overall the facilities and the spa staff were fantastic and it was lovely to enjoy the sunshine outside on the restaurant terrace, If the the customer service and restaurant staff were to improve I wouldn't hesitate to recommend however customer service is key and i believe as a 4 star establishment improvements should be made.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicola O
Highbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed one night-superb-everywhere spotlessly clean.The superior room we had certainly was-with decking/balcony.Quality furniture and fittings,immaculately maintained.Snack lunch in bar area excellent and evening meal and service excellent.Breakfast "under lights" disappointing because it's never hot enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband & I stayed two nights for my birthday in February.
The spa treatments were so relaxing, the food excellent & our room superb.
All of the staff were so helpful & the service second to none.
We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a premium room with a sea view & roof terrace which was superb
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

As a travel writer, I make it my business to try to say the best things possible about many businesses in the hotel industry, unfortunately I cannot do this with regards to the St. Michaels Hotel in Falmouth, Cornwall.

This evening I visited the St Michaels Hotel for the first time in many years and sat down in the lounge to enjoy a pot of tea. Looking around, I was immediately struck by the filthy dirty carpet with stains and crumbs and dust all over it. The table likewise in front of me was dirty.

A footstool close by similarly had stains on it and then upon looking behind the sofa, I couldn't help but notice food waste on the floor and litter also on the floor (out of general sight).

I brought the matter to the attention of the lady serving us our pot of tea and asked if the rubbish could be removed, her reply exactly, "Oh really? Well, there is nothing i can do about it now whilst we have guests in here, it will have to wait until the lounge area is empty." Which to be perfectly honest with you, I thought instantly, what a dreadful attitude.

I will never go back to this hotel again. If this is what it is like in the public areas, goodness only knows what the standard of cleanliness is like in the bedrooms.

Would I recommend anyone to visit here? No. I've seen many hostels much cleaner than the St Michaels Hotel in Falmouth. It was truly filthy by any stretch of the imagination with staff attitudes to match. Any normal person would have instantly arranged to have the rubbish behind the sofa immediately removed.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark A
Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

On our trip we thought it would be good to check out this place for a future lunch trip. Really liked the modern interior,comfortable and warm with pleasant attentive staff.
Checked out the menu and from what we could see and felt about the place it is a cert for a lunch there in the near future.
Easy free parking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,076 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!