“Wonderful stay, only 'just' not perfect.”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Truro, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay, only 'just' not perfect.”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I should preface this review by saying I won two nights dinner, bed and breakfast in a business card draw, so apart from drinks, this was a freebie.

We had a double room in the Captain's House/ Lodge a few steps away from main reception. Whilst I can't really complain if they put us in the cleaner's cupboard as it was a freebie, the room was on the small side and if we were using it a a 'base' for a holiday and spending any considerable time in there, it was a bit on the poky side. Also, quite cold when the heating was off, intermittent connection to the hotel wi-fi and the bathroom was a bit spotted with mold in places, but then this was at the start of October and the decor looked like it had been refreshed at the start of the season, so maybe our timing wasn't great.

That's it, that's really nit-picking.

The standard of service was amazing. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some reviews that the staff would be a bit snooty (especially as on a freebie) but THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER. A passing comment on arrival as to the purpose of our stay - the day between husband's birthday and our anniversary, was obviously noted as at dinner the first evening he was wished a belated birthday and at dinner the second night we were offered a complimentary glass of champagne each and then brought out an amazing chocolate dessert with 'happy anniversary' written in chocolate. All unprompted.

I had the middle day to myself so had a swim, steam and sauna. Very nice facilities and, again, helpful and welcoming staff. Then settled down in the comfy sofa room (which I think has a nautical name) off the bar with a book and a giant bottle of water for a couple of hours and was left to my own devices, not once made to feel I was taking up space or in the way.

The meals were delicious. Good, quality ingredients and I was even tempted by the oysters which I have about once every ten years. Worth the wait.

We were made to feel very special, even during busy periods of service. If we were looking to stay local but indulge in a luxury break, St Michael's would be high up on the list.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie K
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
What a lovely review, thank you so much! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced the level of service that we are known for. I agree, it is the "little" things that can make all the difference! We love nothing more than to make all of our guests feel welcome and special!

I appreciate your comments regarding your room. We have many rooms of all shapes and sizes. Admittedly some are smaller, however some are much larger and with amazing sea views and balconies. I would love to welcome you back and for you to experience one of our more spectacular rooms!

Once again I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and was able to fully relax and enjoy the hotel and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for four nights over Christmas on one of the special packages. We arrived earlier than the advertised check in time, and were able to use the hotel's facilities until our room was ready.

We had booked an upgrade to a superior plus room, and this was on the second floor with stunning views over the bay, two comfortable armchairs, and both the bedroom and bathroom were of the highest standard. We had a complimentary bowl of fruit on arrival, and on Christmas Eve we returned to find a Christmas stocking with various goodies. As part of the package a cocktail and cream tea were offered on arrival, but the lounge area does not have sufficient space to accommodate such an influx, and some people were left with nowhere to sit. I think that the management need to have a rethink about this, and maybe offer timed tickets for the cream tea when checking in to spread the occasion more evenly across the afternoon.

Our package included full English breakfast and dinner in the Stunning Flying Fish restaurant, overlooking the bay, and I have to say that the quality and quantity of the food and wine was outstanding, with a good choice at all times. The serving staff at dinner were absolutely superb - friendly, efficient and helpful, especially considering that they were working whilst everybody else was enjoying Christmas. There were some issues around staffing at breakfast, and as a result service was a bit slow; on the first morning we waited half an hour for toast, and it turned out that the poor chap had sole responsibility for serving toast to 70 guests. On Christmas morning we were greeted to breakfast with a glass of Buck's Fizz and Santa came round with one of his elves to present each couple with a lovely hamper of local produce - a nice touch.

I made good use of the spa facility, where there is a reasonable size gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We also had treatments in the spa, which were very good, and competitively priced. As is usual with such facilities, people tended to hog the jacuzzi for far too long, and the swimming pool is uncomfortably full with even half a dozen swimmers, and even worse when children are in. The men's changing room is very cramped, and there are insufficient lockers. The lockers have an unusual combination lock, but strangely there are no instructions on how to use it, so you either had to go back to reception and ask for help, or leave it unlocked, which many guests seemed to do.

The gardens in front of the hotel are attractive, even in winter, but there is a severe shortage of car parking on site, and if you cannot find a space then the only alternative is to park on the street or the beach car park, and even in winter the streets were pretty full. The parking situation is not helped by the fact that the spa and restaurant are both open to non-residents, and we felt so fortunate to find a space that we left the car and made our way round the local area on foot.

Overall, an excellent hotel - not cheap but good value for money. There are some minor issues which need addressing, but I would still give five stars for excellence.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Another amazing Christmas review! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed all of the Christmas extras, we believe it these touches that help make our Christmas breaks really special.

I welcome your comments regarding the areas that could be improved. We are aware of a few areas that need attention and will be focusing on these.

Once again I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Had lunch with a friend. Lovely menu with plenty of choice so found it difficult to choose. I opted for pigeon to start which was a rather large serving and then had a Caesar salad. Fresh flavours and well presented. The service was excellent and very attentive. Such a wonderful view of the gardens from the restaurant. We were so lucky to be there on a sunny day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear your enjoyed such a relaxing and enjoyable lunch. Its even better to hear the sun was shining for you!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wroughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon & stayed for 3 nights in November. We booked a back bliss massage each which was a new experience for both of us & very relaxing lasted 1 hour with hot stones. There are a number of different treatments available. We had free use of the large swimming pool, jacuzzi,steam room & sauna. There is also a gym & tennis courts. The hotel has a modern nautical theme to it. The restaurant serves lovely meals well worth experiencing.there is a lovely view of the garden & sea view from the restaurant. We had a lovely bedroom with sea view & had our own patio with table & chairs. It was a shame we didn't make use of it due to inclement weather. We walked along the beach & across the coastal footpath to Swanpool which has a cafe on the beach which was welcomed. We then walked along tunnel beach & into town which was quite a long walk. The only downfall was noisy guests above with hobnail boots all night! Also the health club is used by outside people who are paid members so the changing rooms get busy @ peak times.The rooms are also quite hot @ night for someone who is a fresh air freak! We would like to return one day. Distance to beach from hotel- through the garden over the road & you are there! Parking can be a problem & sometimes we had to park on the road outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Get one on the top floor to avoid being disturbed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I am really pleased to see that you were able to enjoy so many of our facilities and the beautiful location we are blessed with. We hear from so many of our guests that our spa treatments really do help remove the stresses of daily life!! If you enjoy our treatments you might want to look at our spa inclusive breaks, they are excellent value!

We do appreciate that our parking can be a little difficult, however since purchasing the neighbouring Hotel we have opened up lots more parking spaces.

Once again thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cheltenham,UK
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

OK, this is a tricky review. I stay in a lot of hotels, everything from the very best to fairly low end budget options and I still can't quite decide what to give St Michaels. I've gone 4/5 here, largely due to the fact nearly all the staff I spoke to were absolutely lovely. I also got a reasonable deal from booking.com so can't moan too much...
Visited with the mrs in dec 2013 for a quite break from our little one for 3 nights. I suspect we got one of the worst rooms in the hotel: small, dark and a view of a flat roof and the back of a sail. North facing too, so very little natural light. It could also do with a lick of paint. I did spy a premium sea-facing room on the way up there though, and that was roomy, light and airy.
The spa is ok - a reasonably relaxing (small) pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The sauna was broken after the first night, so the spa experience wasn't amazing for the last two days, but it was ok. The gym is actually very good for a hotel gym and includes a proper free weights area and plenty of cardio equipment.
We dined in the hotel restaurant (the a flying fish) on the first night and it took an age to serve us. They had a big group in that night, so I forgave them a little. Breakfast was the same though - decent food and selection but a tad slow. The food in the evening was one notch below fine dining. The hotel itself is pretty nice, not as big as the pictures make it look, but fairly decent.
The saving grace were the staff - everyone was very warm and helpful (especially in the spa). They bump the place from 3 to 4 out of 5 and we finished the break feeling like we made a good choice. Maybe if we went at a less busy time we would have had a 5 star experience...

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Booked in for a post Christmas/New Year party with work colleagues. Excellent value for money, the menu gave lovely choices and I was not disappointed by the choices I'd made. Lovely comfortable twin bedded room, which was clean (we checked in at 3pm and found our room still being cleaned) and warm, but then I've never been in a hotel that's been cold! We were booked in for a Spa treatment which I was very impressed with, staff very nice and efficient. We were a little disappointed that we weren't able to secure robes without a charge, even though we had explained we were residents that night. Had a cream tea in the very comfortable Locker Room, how lovely to have a choice of comfortable seating. Breakfast the next morning was the usual buffet of both hot and cold choices. As always when a guest I went for the traditional English, the bacon was a little hard, I couldn't cut it easily, had to tear it, but it was very tasty. Everything else was delicious, I even had cooked tomato because it actually looked like it was cooked with a slightly charred top. The staff were all very pleasant and obliging as expected at such a quality hotel, I even called for maintenance who arrived at my room within minutes!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Such a lovely review, thank you. It is always nice to hear when a guest enjoys a stay as much as you seem to have. We find it is the smaller details sometimes that are the hardest to get right, so your small niggles will be taken on board and I am sure we can improve on these for your next stay!

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Corsham
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Absolutely superb service, wonderful menu, spectacular sea views. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The food was excellent, the room clean and well presented. In sum, a great hotel staffed by very capable people. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave W
Well, firstly may I wish you a happy New Year on behalf of the team here at St Michaels! Secondly thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so proud to have enjoyed yet another New Year success and I am so pleased that you were able to see the New Year in enjoying the 4 star facilities that we offer.

We do hope we are able to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 23 in Falmouth
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!