“EXCELLENT SPA HOTEL WITH GREAT RESTAURANT”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hotel is on the outskirts of Falmouth with good sea views, extensive gardens and a high quality spa. The spa is popular locally as are regular fitness/yoga classes which makes the hotel car park a busy one day and night, but for new arrivals its some confort that there is usually space in adjacent streets or a large public car park near the beach. The hotel has a stylish modern nautical vibe and has bright/cheerful decor - mainly pale blues and whites in the public areas.

The room we stayed in (27) was spacious and looked recently refurbished, with a modern well appointed bathroom and a balcony area which had good views of the gardens. The bed was comfortable and the rooms was quiet in the evening.

The spa is a real plus point. The pool is a reasonable size (for a hotel) with jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The gym has a good range of equipment. Staff knew their stuff and were keen to help. Facilities were well used when we visited (clearly popular with local residents as well as hotel visitors) but had plenty of spare capacity.

We ate dinner in the restaurant with older friends who we thought might be picky eaters. But everyone was pleased with the range of the menu, the quality of food/cooking on offer and the restaurant staff who helped make it a very enjoyable evening. Just the right mix of friendliness and service. At breakfast there was a good range at the cold and hot buffet. As is often the case tho, for late risers the hot food had been sitting around on hot plates for a while, was a bit overcooked and could have been warmer, but I'm afraid that's a commonplace in hotel buffets.

From our visit it was clear this hotel is deservedly popular with a wide raning clientele - business travellers, families and older couples. Well worth considering if you are looking for somewhereto stay in the Falmouth area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

A great review we could not have wished for. St Michaels has so many offerings and friendly staff enabling us to successfuly cater for many business types in relaxed surroundings.
We look forward to welcoming you back to St Michaels and thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Some weeks ago my wife and I dropped into the Hotel St Michael's for lunch. Catch of the day was red bream cooked to perfection, with service to match. My wife & I met at the 'old' St Michael's many years ago, so we decided there & then to book a two night short break to mark that anniversary. On our arrival, the duty receptionist, Francesca was friendly, efficient & summoned a charming young porter to carry our luggage. On the way to our room, I casually mentioned the reason for our visit to the porter. Our room was a delight, clean, airy, spacious, with access to a roof terrace which gave commanding views over the gardens & across the bay towards Helford & beyond. Made a pot of tea to find that the tea pot leaked. Used the basin to wash my hands & the water drained away! Reported to Reception as we left for a stroll. Arrived back to find that the teapot had been replaced & wash basin plug adjusted. Now that's what I call efficient customer service. At Dinner we were greeted by a smiling waiter named Paolo who ushered us to our table by the window & brought us each a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate our 'anniversary'. What a lovely gesture which came about as the result of a casual remark to one of the staff The locally sourced food and the service throughout was of the highest order. The 'new' Hotel St Michael's is an entirely different animal to the original. The hotel has practically been rebuilt internally with light & airy public areas together with a lovely pool & spa area. A rolling programme of investment & improvements continues. We will return, just like some of the other regulars that we met during our stay. Thank you for making a short break - a very 'Special' occasion.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. St Michaels has been evolving over the past 10 years and we still have some upgrade plans in the pipline. We have ticked many boxes with Leisure and spa, food, comfy beds and friendly service. But we have not finished.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Firstly, we thought the hotel was beautiful.

However, we'd planned to have a relaxing romantic weekend and the hotel was sold as somewhere for a retreat. We were very disappointed that the stay was not relaxing from start to finsih due to the noise.

In the afternoon, I was trying to rest when all I could hear is children screaming and running near to reception. I then went to the spa, where I spend 2 hours in the afternoon in the pool, sauna and steamroom. The entire 2 hours 6 or 7 small children were screenming, running and jumping in the pool relentlessly. I couldn't even swim a length.

We then went to the bar area in the evening and more children were running around late at night.

We were then awoken several times during the night by noise.

We were then unable to lie in due to the noise.

I understand families wil stay there and are entitled to enjoy their stay, but staff could clearly see and made no effort to help.

I did mention this to reception on departure, but the receptionsist simply told us we should have selected to use the spa inthe evening. She didn't seem sorry we hadn't enjoyed the stay as much as we'd hoped.

I hope you take this into consideration to help keep your hotel at the very best - it has such potential and we would return should be assured our stay would be relaxing.

I emailed the hotel with this feedback but again there was no response and I see that the Manager answers publicly so hopefully it will be taken in to account.

With thanks

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anna_C1234

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry my staff did not approach the parents of the noisy children in an attempt to get them under control. It sounds as if they were unsupervised throughout their stay.
Measures as discussed have been taken, and i hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to St Michaels.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for only one evening but if you are going to Falmouth, would happily recommend the St Michael's. Plenty of parking in this busy seaside town was a relief and check in was quick and friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable and the nautical theme throughout is fresh and bright, whites & pale blues, not brass ship's wheels and old oils of sloops! Room well appointed and bathroom big and with a good shower. Late & early check out times a benefit and breakfast was very acceptable. Not cheap, but with the restaurant, spa, views over the bay and location, it is worth the price. Only downside to a hotel with a pool is the heavy odour of chlorine in reception, but that's a minor niggle - though it does feel like you are arriving at a very expensive local pool! Overall, very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Sea view if you are staying a while, but because it's on the bay, don't worry too much as so...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your thoughts are what St Michaels is all about and we get it right most of the time.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had booked a "Superior De luxe" seafront room. We got a very cramped room, very small bathroom with no shelves to put our personal things on, dirty carpets, overlooking the gardens and the side of a building with air conditioner, and the sea in the FAR distance. For this we paid 198 pounds. The following day the receptionist was able to move us to a better room and bathroom with a slightly better view, but I still think the hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lyla901

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt we were overpriced. I do understand once you had moved rooms the remainder of your trip to Falmouth was successful.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My mother and I stayed for two nights and we were both impressed by the lovely attentive staff and the standard of the hotel. It is beautifully appointed with an airy nautical feel. The food was delicious and no request we made seemed to be any trouble. The spa was quite busy in peak times but as it was the school holidays this was to be expected. Overall, we cannot rate this little hotel highly enough and hope to return again . You deserve every success - just make sure you have room next time we want to return!

Room Tip: both rooms we had were lovely
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your feed back. We get it right most of the time and will look forward to welcoming you back to St Michaels.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night, when she was attending an interview for the uni nearby. We were sorry we hadn't booked an extra night as we enjoyed the hotel so much. We arrived late and had to wait for a member of the staff to book us in. The room we were I was part of a house and was large,with comfortable beds and a little terrace with table and chairs were I could sit the following morning. The breakfast was the best we had during a trip round 5 universities and 5 hotels. We were so pleased when the waitress offered us gluten free bread. It was delicious and was great to be able to eat with the best scrambled eggs ever. I later spend some time in the pool and for lunch I was given gluten free rolls with my soup. When you can't eat wheat it is so nice not to have to worry about for when you are traveling.

The view from the hotel was really nice,with beautiful gardens even in March, leading down to the beach. I enjoyed the pool, talked with some of the local women who use it regularly. It was a hot day and if I had more time I would have spend some time outside. There were sunbeds you could access from the pool.

Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for a great review, what more can we ask for. We hope Falmouth meets your daughters needs then we will be able to welcome you back for that extra night.