“Usually great food but can get VERY busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gylly Beach Cafe

Gylly Beach Cafe
Ranked #17 of 226 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: British, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Usually great food but can get VERY busy”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Being next to Gylly beach we often pop in for breakfast or lunch. Today we were there at 9am for opening, and were served very quickly. It often gets very busy, and finding a table ( on the outside terrace especially) can be tricky, and as there is no waitress to take orders the queue can be quite long. They normally display the waiting time for food so you are under no illusion as to how long it will be, you make your choice if you wish to order or not. The food is normally of a very high standard, with fair sized portions, for instance today I had the breakfast muffin with sausage, bacon and poached eggs (£5), for this I got 3 sausages, 2 thick rashers of bacon and a cooked just how I like it poached egg. The only time I have ever been unhappy was when I ordered a hot chocolate with cream for my daughter (£2.10 for a mug), she literally had 1 inch of hot chocolate and about 5 inches of cream, she was happy with it but she is only 4! I should have complained but would have had to queue again!! Has put me off buying that again. They put on quite a few music nights but have not had a chance to try one of those out. There is normally a busy but friendly vibe and you normally get chatting with those around you. During cold spells they do put out rugs for you to borrow which is a nice touch as the outside terrace is so lovely for sitting and people watching. I would suggest going early or avoiding peak times to get the best from the Gylly beach cafe.

• Visited March 2013

Helston
“I love the Gylly!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I love the food (especially the chilli nachos and the brownies/blondies), I love the vibe, I love the music, I love the smoothies and milkshakes, I love the child friendliness and of course the view is to die for especially on a day like today!

I have been there at several times of year in several types of weather with my husband and three year old daughter and every time have enjoyed the place and the food. I have never been there when it has not been busy but I think that is a good sign as it shows that the (varied) clientele appreciate it.I like the small menu as I think it is better to do a small number of things well than a large number badly. I think the ever changing specials keep things interesting too. I like the commitment to local sourcing and the support for local live music. In fact, I actually like the fact it isn't waiter/waitress service it gives me a chance to eye up the ever delicious baked goods of the day!

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST bar None”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I felt compelled to write a review of this wonderful cafe/restaurant having spent a summer mixing with the staff and locals and enjoying one of the best views in England.

Gylly Beach does what it says on the tin. No more no less and that is enough for it to be FULL, day in day out from Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner 364 days a year and even more so in peak season when it caters for the entire community whilst attracting the kind of crowd the Hotel Tresanton would be envious of and that is not even doing it justice in terms of the crowd who come to enjoy everything that it holds dear.

Gylly Beach is NOT trying to be what it's not. But is IS trying to be something that caters for ALL tastes, serves impeccable locally sourced produce at prices and at a quality that most London cafe/restaurant's would weap at. The Chefs deserve Michelin Stars in their own right for the originality of their daily changing menu's and specials served with flair, attention to detail and panache at prices that suit the area. You get what you pay for and at Gylly Beach, especially on an evening when the atmosphere is more restaurant than cafe but during morning and afternoon service this is even more evident.

The menu is very decent english/French/America bistro fair but done intelligently and with care to blend new ideas into old which is no mean feet. The specials change daily and are are chosen with a knowledge of the season and what is available and would work on the day. Again, this takes time and no little effort to pull off with aplomb. Current favourites are the Venison Burger cooked to perfection in a brilliant bun with Blue cheese (on request) with no hint of annoyance upon asking for non menu extras - medium rare of course.

Evening dishes do go up in price but they are presented and cooked using top end ingredients and the prices are reflective. An example would be their Steak at £18.95 but it is worth every penny as their hollandiase is unxious and tarte which again, takes effort and is easy to get wrong.

The owners must clearly run a tight ship and employ chefs and staff who want to be part of a business that not only serves the community and the wider touruist population but actually I'm sure cares about the beach itself which is one of the finest in Europe; posters detailing how they aid the council to keep beach standards as high as they are attest to this.

Not much else to say apart from a rumour that their Sunday Night Live Music Sessions for emerging bands broke Ben Howard and he now has 2 Brits to his name. The owners and staff clearly have their finger on the pulse and their pulses are racing to achieve even more. Rare in this day and age.

No hesitation in saying GO if you are on holiday. Dogs and Buggaboos are welcome and try and bag the table in the corner on the terrace - the sun trap there is to die for, as is the view.

6/5 so 5/5.

The

UK
“The place to come to when I want to feel good”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Rather surprisingly, considering how long they have been there, I was the first person to submit a review. Since then I have been back many times, and my view hasn't changed. I love the atmosphere, the views, the food and how engaging the staff are. Yes, when it is busy, having to queue to place your order is a real pain, and I am sure it would be better with waiter/ress service.

Sitting on the terrace on a bitterly cold February day but kept warm by the overhead heaters, loving the view with the low sun turning the wet beach into molten gold was breath taking. The kitchens were being refurbished, so there was only a limited menu, served in takeaway cartons, but all the Gylly classics were still there. The beer battered hake was delicious: light crispy batter and the fish was cooked perfectly.

Reading other revues, I can see that other people don't get it, and it is idiosyncratic. You either get turned on by the buzz, the variety of the customers, the 'efficient casualness', the relaxed charm of the staff, the stunning view - or you don't. For me, it will always be the place to come to when I want to feel good.

1 Thank NineToTheSky
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely Cafe with great sea views”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited the cafe today mid morning for coffee and cakes (brownies are to die for). The kitchen was undergoing a bit of a refurb so the coffee was being served temporarily in paper cups (at a discount) but this did not detract from the usual atmosphere or good coffee and lovely home made cakes on offer. Being local we have visited Gylly Beach several times now and have always found the staff friendly and helpful and the drinks and cakes always fresh and of excellent quality. You get a great view of Falmouth beach and bay as well. Must try the lunch menu soon.