Madeira Hotel
The Grove Hotel(Falmouth)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Don't accept one of the Attic 'Sea View' rooms. They are small with very small WC and shower cubicle. Ask for a proper normall size room. They have fitted some Double rooms in the roof space and even though the view is of the sea, they are cramped and very small.

Room Tip: If you are of normal height, refuse an Attic 'double' 'Sea View' room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Circle of Life K
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have just spent a wonderful four nights in Falmouth and had the pleasure of staying at the Medeira Hotel. We were met on arrival by a cheerful young lady who explained all that we needed to know, meal times/local places to visits and a map of Falmouth.

Our room (16) was a little dated but (remembering it was 2/3 star hotel) it was value fot money and we had a wonderful, uninterupted view of Pendennis Castle and the Falmouth Bay. We even had our own friendly (and hungry) seagulls.

The service in the Dining room was absolutely first class. Meals (breakfast and Dinner) were execellent with plenty of choice and a very happy bunch of ladies serving. Also a very helpful young man from the Bar.

Room Tip: I did not see other rooms than ours but I recommend that visitors pay the extra for a sea view. Ours, on the first floor, had a lovely balcony with views that were absolutely marvellous. It also had the sun all day and provided us with a nice place to enjoy a Gin & Tonic before dinner.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jamesW W
Reviewed April 15, 2014

great hotel for exploring Falmouth and the surrounding area. Central for the town centre as well as beaches and Falmouth Pavilions. Staff friendly and helpful, great breakfast. Right on the sea front and beach as well as view of Pendennis castle lit up at night.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are the best, worth paying the extra for.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank april m
Reviewed April 14, 2014

It does exactly what it says it does

My daughter refers to this as the scrabble hotel purely on the signage resembles those scrabble letters, however the hotel does exactly what it does and does it well. Not necessarily to my liking or my standards but certainly nothing wrong.

The building is dated but functionable, clean and warm and has a small lift next to reception, the lift is rather small and when there is a new coach tour arriving is taken up with the moving of luggage. A nice reception area that gives way to a lounge that has an uninterrupted view of the sea. With lots of places where you can sit in the windows and enjoy the views. It has a telescope available to view the myriad of large ocean going ships that anchor in the bay, very pleasant on a sunny clear day.

The hotel caters for coach parties; mainly it has to be said for the more mature clientele with the facilities, entertainment and menus reflecting this. On my visit there were at least two coaches staying. The evening lounge was quite full all waiting patiently for their entertainment of Bingo to get underway, not really what I wanted, I felt young, even though I am nearing the age of the coaching holiday paternity. My room a single, I was staying as I took my daughter back to Uni, was ok, the bed a little uncomfortable, although probably better for the average clientele that for me. The bathroom looked to have been recently updated with a shower and lashing s of hot water, everything that was needed was on hand. The tea and coffee facilities were pretty standard, a nice little kettle enough for one person, but why do some many hotels insist on giving only a couple of portions of milk? I know you can ask for more but that is really irritating. The floors in the building were not level with many a unexpected rise and fall. Most of the floors squeaked and squared especially in the dead of night as you could hear every movement in the room beside yours and above. Talking of hearing movements from above, I was awoken a couple of times by a sound like a tsunami as the occupants above used the bathroom facilities, very loud followed by the flushing away.

The menu options were limited, with a choice of only a few dishes and so I passed on the evening food and ventured out with my daughter locally, as this is her second full year in Falmouth I used her local knowledge on where to go.

It being a Sunday morning the breakfast was available between 8 and 9 which I thought was quite reasonable and after a refreshing walk along the beach I returned to the hotel at 8 and expecting a relaxing breakfast. I ventured into the restaurant cum ballroom to be faced with over fifty guests all waiting to be served. I was shown to a table by a very busy waitress, who was very professional, smiley faced and bright composure, although you could tell very stressed too. The menu was limited and was served by two waiting staff that had to run between tables and the kitchen to be able to take the orders and to serve the meals within that very small timescale. The choices of starters were limited as was the hot meals. My food arrived hot and was pleasant although a little on the small side in terms of portions, my poached egg was over cooked but everything else was OK. The staff, all appeared to be of Eastern European, apologises if not, worked extremely hard, all had smiles on their faces, all spoke with a very good understanding of English and with dealing with a more mature customer which can be exacting and demanding in nature.

Booking out was an effective operation with my bill waiting already for me at reception and a pleasant and happy professional service.

Overall a pleasant hotel, service of a high standard, it is not luxury but very effective in what it does.

Room Tip: Any sea facing room would be nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Mike D
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday 22nd March. We booked a double room and were given a lovely large triple room with a view over the sea. Nice bathroom and shower. The room was lovely and clean and warm. The breakfast was three course with a good choice of food and vegetarian optians are available if ordered beforehand. We also had the three/four course evening meal which again was very nice. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and all the waitresses and staff were very polite and helpful. There is a dance floor and entertainment is provided regularly and the hotel is situated about 10 minutes walk to the centre.
Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view rooms on the first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple