Eden Lodge
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
$251
Hotels.com
$167
$162
Travelocity
All reviewscheap staycut a long story shortswimming poolperfect locationwarm welcomecomfortable staynight's sleepvisit falmouthfalmouth centrebiscuitsziggylynncornwalluniversity
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I booked a room for the 25th September (Freshers week for the nearby Exeter Uni). Having read the review about not honoring a booking, I asked about the need for a deposit etc.. None was required. We arrived at 3pm to find a childrens' party on-going, we were asked to come back, we left our bag and came back a few hours later.
The propieter then told ous we did not have a confirmed booking & we were re-allocated to a different B&B. This was full.
We complained about not only an original booking, but also the fact we had already checked in - by a friendly woman.
After an argument about this, the proprieter forcefully told us to vacate his premises. His manner was intimidating and threatening. I left shaking. We advised him that we would report the incident to the tourist board and hotel review.
The positive note to this was that we found a wonderful B&B over the road - The Cotswolds; with a friendly host - Peter, who could not have been more helpful.
This doesn't seem an isolated incident; so if you have to stay here, do not take the word of the staff as given. We like the previous family - giving a very negative review, had a similar experience; we at least didn't have young children to search for limited accommodation in the town.
Be warned.
Fiona - London SE21.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
63  Thank FionaSE21
Reviewed September 20, 2010

There have been several derogatory reviews about this hotel which appeared after I 'd booked and I wondered what I was going to find when I arrived. I found a friendly host and hostess who did everything they could to help us have the perfect holiday. The rooms were clean, though a little out-dated, the towels were changed daily and were lovely to use - not like the sandpaper towels you got in many other hotels and the pool was available at all times. Lynne and Ziggy invited you in to their home and that is exactly how you felt - at home.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I stayed at Eden Lodge for my short holiday in cornwall this year. The room was comfortable, and had a restful nights sleep. Ziggy and Lynn were both very welcoming and extremely helpful. I throughly enjoyed my stay at Eden Lodge and would come back again as well as recommend it to my friends

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Have now stayed at Eden Lodge on numourous occasions.
Always have a very enjoyable stay.
You could'nt ask for 2 better hosts, Ziggy and Lynne are great.
My kids love staying here as they have a pool which is very clean and warm!
Have recommended Eden Lodge to family and friends, who have now booked and stayed here and have all said what a lovely place it is.
Will definatly be going back in the next holidays. Can't wait.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Eden Lodge is down the road from both the Falmouth Town train station and Gyllyngvase Beach - ideal if you do not have a car on your holiday. The hosts Lynne and Ziggy were very pleasant to us and very welcoming. The swimming pool is brilliant for rainy afternoons. The breakfasts being served from 6-10am is brilliant as you are not tied down to any times.
The room we were in was 'shabby', with a very old sliding door into the bathroom that came off twice, the shower did not work (no hot water came out, only cold) so we had to use a communal bathroom for our stay, which can be a pain in the mornings waiting for a bath. We had to rotate our matress three times in an attempt to get a good night's sleep without a spring in our backs. The room also never smelt 'clean', due to the toilet door not closing, so we were forced to have our windows open all night; which isn't ideal when the hotel is just off the main road.
Breakfast the first morning was inedible - after that we stuck to toast or didn't even go for breakfast.
We were asked to pay our first morning which was rather an inconvenience and we were not told beforehand that we needed to pay 'upfront'. I had to contact my bank to make a transfer from my ISA to pay our bill in time.
It is a real shame that Eden Lodge did not live up to our expectations. For £35 PPPN it is one of the cheapest hotels around, but we will try elsewhere, which is a real shame, as the hosts were lovely.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple