“Overrated, resting on their laurels”

Cove Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #8 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled on the shoreline of Maenporth Beach, The Cove offers uninterrupted views across Falmouth Bay. A sanctuary from the bustle of reality, where you can enjoy lunch al fresco on the elevated terrace or wind down the day with the full dining experience. The Cove is an oasis of taste and visual beauty, easily one of the most picturesque spots to enjoy the real flavour of Cornish ingredients.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was very much looking forward to visiting The Cove, having planned our trip well in advance. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and high hopes of a great evening. I was surprised when we walked in at the bright lighting and almost complete lack of atmosphere...there was no buzz about the place. It all felt quite formal, which is fine if it is combined with excellent service and food. My husband chose from the fixed price menu, which at £22.50 for three courses was definitely the best value. He did really well, and enjoyed his food. However, for everyone else the portion sizes were pretty disappointing. Two of our party were hoping to order the steak and lobster but we were told there was no lobster left. Our waiter returned a few minutes later to say they had found two portions of lobster if it was still wanted, and our friends went ahead and ordered it. When the steak and lobster arrived, I think it is fair to say we were all shocked at how small both the meat and lobster pieces were - considering the dish was £28.50. It was more of a lobster garnish than anything else. Worse than that, the lobster had a mushy texture, which led one friend to say she felt it was frozen. Admittedly she didn't mention this to anyone at the restaurant because she didn't want to upset the birthday meal. Both friends also said they had had better steak from our local butcher's shop. As for me, I had scallops as a starter, which were mouthwateringly delicious, duck as a main which was also lovely, and a chocolate truffle dessert - great. While I couldn't fault my food, I wouldn't return to this restaurant for a full meal. I feel it is generally lacking in atmosphere. The service was fine - not brilliant, not bad. I would go back in the summer and have cocktails and tapas on the terrace, when we can hopefully enjoy the gorgeous view. I feel they may be resting on their laurels, relying on the beautiful setting to make up for a restaurant which is lacking some character or flamboyance. I have spent much less money and had a lot more fun and still eaten great food at the Wheelhouse in Falmouth, where I will be returning soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a splendid restaurant for wonderful views,fantastic food and wine and excellent service. It cannot be faulted. The Cove was recommended to us and I am so glad we booked to eat here. Not cheap but worth every penny. If only we lived nearer we would be in every week.!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We;ve dined here on several occassions in the past and we were'nt dissapointed again. The outdoor area has been improved in my opinion with the addition of a conservatory. IN the past we've been pestered by wasps but this time was really good. The waiters dressed in stripey tee shirts look French in their appearance but they were very friendly, especalially the one with the beard - sorry I didn't get your name. The view over Maenporth beech is excellent - could have spent longer there to be honest.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a nice 3 mile walk and arrived at the Cove to have a lovely tapas and teas and coffee!
Fantastic food, service and a stunning view overlooking the cove! Absolutely wonderful afternoon!
We shall be back!

1  Thank Lumpinisway
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have been to the Cove Restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. The service is excellent and the food and location are wonderful. This restuarant should be at the very least a rising Michelin star.

1  Thank Chris H