“Suprising”

Chester Backpackers
Ranked #12 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Chester
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Having not stayed in many hostels before I was a bit worried initially if only because the other hostels we stayed in had been affiliated with the YHA rather than being an independent outfit. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience, however, as the staff was exceedingly friendly, the location was convenient, and the rooms/facilities were sufficient.

We stayed 7 to a large room that had an en-suite bathroom. The beds were relatively comfortable and the bathroom facilities were sufficient. There was a small kitchen area which was convenient and did have tea-making facilities if you wanted a cup. There was wifi available for free, which was a nice feature, which you could get easily in the rooms or common areas. The staff was quite attentive and friendly, being willing to look after our bags for a fair portion of our check-out day before we returned for them.

The hostel is nicely located in terms of being a quick walk away from the city center, although there were no parking facilities that I could see.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank RobC614

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We slept in the dorm (18 bed), the room has only one very small window, so air was bad. The beds were very uncomfortable and flimsy, whenever I turned, the one below awoke and if somebody in the room moved, the bed's noise woke me up. And I am usually not waking up easily...
Bathroom facilities in the basement and cleanliness were ok, critics: no mirrors in the girl's restroom or shower, light switch for all bathrooms is on the first floor: it can happen that you are in the shower, and somebody else switches off the light without noticing that you are in there. Believe me, it is very hard to find your way out through many doors when it's pitch-black...
We didn't use the kitchen but it looked ok. Common room looked shabby.
Staff was friendly.
Location was good.
No parking area :(

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matheschnecke
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Backpackers was a great discovery.Superb location.The check-in was swift.a VERY friendly man checked us in.Its a laid back relaxed venue.The room was warm,comfortable,it has wifi,very handy.The location of Backpackers is ideal to stroll around Chester.An ideal chilled clean tidy place to stay.The use of the kitchen is very good.Coffee and tea etc is freely available as are cooking and food storage.Excellent.

Room Tip: If you want a double room with bathroom this venue has one at least.As good as any Ive stayed in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the end of October for a night out in Chester; we had a private ensuite double room for £42 which is a good price for central Chester on a Saturday night.The staff were very friendly and the room was clean and tidy. The kitchen area was also clean and there was coffee, tea, milk etc which you could help yourself to whenever you liked as often as you liked.We were also able to park on the road behind the hostel for free (after 6pm and on Sunday).The hostel was literally a couple of minutes walk away from all the shops / pubs and the train station so it's ideally situated. Overall had a very good experience for my first stay in a hostel and would stay there again when we next have a night out in Chester.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iamtripper
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Was reluctant to book here cos of bad reviews but first impressions on arrival were good. Looked a cool place, welcoming, good location etc. Room clean and comfy with nice shower (bathroom needs a bathmat though as water gathers in middle of floor). New manager friendly and trying hard to get a better reputation for the place. had a great couple of nights here. they've only had it a month so previous reviews are pretty much irrelevant. would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scott j
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Under new management and they are really trying to make this place great. The staff are soooo accommodating and willing to help ! The price is right. Chester s an amazing town and this hostel is n the perfect area. The rooms are clean and the kitchen is fine. It s secure and friendly. Highly recommend this place. We are American and had high hopes. they were here for us .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad J
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'd made a reservation and this was confirmed by email but when I arrived there was no record of this, luckily there was a bed available. The staff were relaxed (possibly too relaxed!) friendly and helpful and there was a secure place to lock up my bike. There were an lot of bunks crammed into a small space in the dorm I slept in and I was a bit put off by a foul mouthed chap swigging vodka from a bottle in his bed. It wasn't particularly clean and wasn't a patch on the Youth Hostels I stayed in on my trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo