“Wonderful lunch and our Guide Dog Puppy was welcomed”
Review of The Goshawk

The Goshawk
Ranked #131 of 575 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Four adults and a guide dog puppy called in for lunch. The staff were wonderfully attentive and even offered to get the dog a biscuit and a bowl of water before we'd had our drink order taken.
Three of us had the fish of the day, cod on a bed of mashed potatoe and a very tastey sauce with prawns.Two had the mushroom starter and one the pate which we all throughly enjoyed sharing. This is our second visit over recent times both accompanied by guide dog puppies. It' a refreshing change to be welcomed so well by an understanding establishment that realises our pups have to start leaning somewhere. Thank you to all the Goshawk staff.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went to the Goshawk for the first time last Friday for an early dinner. A late decision - booked online in the afternoon. Very impressed with the décor - warm and welcoming on a wet evening. We were seated in a back room - empty at that time - we felt a bit like billy no-mates so we asked to be moved to somewhere busier. No problems at all. Bit surprised we weren't asked if we wanted a drink whilst we looked at the menu - a sales opportunity lost I think!. Great menu - we opted for two starters each - a great idea when you want to sample. Food was excellent - the crab and chorizo risotto was fabulous. Again though I was left with an empty glass for a long time and had to ask for a refill. All in all a great pub/restaurant.

1  Thank haeledwards
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The previous reviewer must have been extremely unlucky as I have never had a bad experience at this gastro pub in all the years I have been coming here. What a shame they feel they won't be returning as I think it is one of the best places to eat & believe me I am VERY fussy.

Our meal was superb as usual & the atmosphere was lovely with all the candles lit & the roaring log fire. I really cannot find any fault as it is always 100% & that is a great compliment coming from me!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

After a visit to the Goshawk in December 2013 where my friend and I enjoyed Good Food, Good Service and a wonderful atmosphere, imagine our surprise when we experienced the complete opposite during our visit yesterday, 22 January 2014.
First drink took 15 mins to arrive when order was taken, starters 10 mins after order taken, asked for more drinks twice, never arrived, after an hour we asked when our main dish would arrive, it did 5 mins later, not impressed with the food, fish cakes were hard, came celeriac coleslaw, couldn't taste the celeriac and what was laughingly called a salad, two pieces of lettuce. Steak and Kidney Pie pastry needed soaking in gravy for 10 mins before you could attempt to eat it, no taste to the braised red cabbage. Nothing prepared us for the onslaught of cleaning fluid which descended onto our deserts when the waiter decided to clean all the tables round us just after serving us a Hazelnut and Honey Cheesecake. The fluid sprayed everywhere ending up on the spoons of desert we were eating. Once told, they offered to remove one cheesecake from the bill, but after some discussion removed both. Could be a one off but have to say we will not be visiting this establishment again to find out.

1  Thank 561Karen
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We've been a few times and I have never left a review so I thought I would today. We have never had a bad meal here and always had great service, the staff are attentive with out being in your face. Great food, beer and service, no wonder the place is always full.