“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Went there to celebrate our First year anniversary since getting married. The Pub and the décor are very nice and is in a very pleasant setting.

However we sat down at around 19:00 on Saturday night and was surprised how quiet it was, the service was very slow and after ordering our drinks they finally arrived after about 20 minutes having ordered our meals. When the starters arrived they were disappointing my wife’s leek and potato soup was very bland and she had to put half a ton of salt in to make it taste of anything. I had the Goats cheese which was fine.

Mains took around another 40 minutes to arrive, the wife had the Pork which again wasn’t very inspiring. I had the Chicken Caesar salad which again was distinctly average and had no wow factor.

We decided to pass on Deserts paid and left. The waiter who looked after us was young but tried really hard and we tipped accordingly. The bill came to £60 which seemed OTT bearing in mind what we had and the quality.

My feedback although by no means the Goshawk being a bad pub is that they aspire to be a top pub with excellent food, I would disagree with this as the food seems to 3* and the prices do not reflect this. I would use the Analogy of one of the Wags you see in Marbella looking very nice but when you scratch beneath the surface there is no substance and very underwhelming.
More imagination needed foodwise to make it a go to destination.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on bicycle, somewhat dishevelled on an astonishingly hot saturday lunch time....our need for fast rehydration was met with aplomb (and ample ice). The Goshawk was fairly quiet but service was fast, friendly and attentive. We sat outside overlooking the bowling green and enjoyed a delightfully reviving lunch. One or two improvements could be made to the cooking: asparagus and Nantwich blue salad somewhat lacking on the latterly cheese front, onion rings definitely home-made (80:20 batter to onion ratio). I was surprised to find the caesar salad came with marinaded anchovies rather than salted, but I must admit I was won over; I am not convinced they would go with the chicken option, but on a hot day they were absolutely fabulous with my (perfectly cooked) salmon. All in all a very enjoyable lunch and highly recommended.

2  Thank Swillbos
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A party of 6 adults and 3 children went for lunch on Sunday 30/6//2013. The food was very good; it was served by courteous staff and enjoyed in pleasant surroundings. We will definitely go back again and would have no hesitation recommending it to friends and family.

2  Thank Cheshiretraveller062
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Called in on the way back to Leeds from North Wales - so glad we did. Sat outside on an immaculately cleaned decked area under a parasol, table service with drinks and starters brought over within minutes. Mains followed shortly after and attentive service throughout. My partner had the duck wrap which wa delicious and a generous portion. I had the beer battered haddock (my pub staple) and I can honestly say it was one of the best I have ever had. I have a bad back and the staff were more than happy to bring me a chair with a back out from inside. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is a bowling green next to the pub which a few of us used last year one afternoon and had drinks so always intended to return for something to eat which my wife and I did on a Friday night with another couple and their two children for our friends birthday. Table was booked and the setting is lovely. Huge rear car park and plenty of outdoor seating overlooking the bowling green with a children's area nearby. Everything seemed lovely.We ordered drinks which arrived quickly then we ordered food.What a miserable waiter the man was taking our order. Nodding at each of us in turn as he took the orders.Smile? Not a chance. Then the wait began.....and the wait....and the wait. At least three times staff came to us to apologise for the wait. I guess we should have complained but what the heck....we just wont visit again. Such a shame as the setting is lovely and the food was actually quite nice. So Manager....get your staff to smile, be pleasant and speed up the service and your customers might...just might....return.