“well worth a visit !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Upstairs at The Grill

Upstairs at The Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstairs at The Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 547 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Upstairs at the Grill is a split-level Manhattan-style steakhouse and intimate cocktail bar located in Chester City Centre. Open Monday to Thursday from 5pm and from 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we offer our guests the opportunity to explore our selection of locally sourced dry aged beef and extensive wine list. We look forward to welcoming you to Upstairs at the Grill.Upstairs At The Grill is available for a range of private parties, birthday parties, working lunches, business meetings or wedding receptions. Whether an intimate table of 2, party of 8 or an all-out celebration for 80, we’re here to help.
Rhyl, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

wanted somewhere nice for lunch on a recent shopping trip. my daughter and i had a fabulous meal i had the roast beef which was amazing ,and my daughter had the pork. the staff were freindly and we felt looked after. i would absolutely visit again and recommend to anyone. well done all !!!!

Derbyshire
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Found this restaurant on trip advisor, and managed to get a table, the knowledge, service, and food was fantastic 4 of us all had the chateaubriand it was to die for highly recommend.

Bolton , England
“Pretty Good But ....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

I chose the grill for our first nights meal during our recent stay due solely to its reviews. I think we were lucky to get a “walk in” table as another couple had not turned up late on a Thursday evening.

The staff were extremely pleasant and polite and showed us to the bar upstairs – I think this is where the restaurant them comes in as you choose you meal in a beautifully decorated and relaxing bar. We chose a glass of rose each whilst we looked at the menu which was very good. Whilst choosing our menu we noticed a nearby table being present with a selection of meat cuts to enable them to choose their steak before cooking – personally I think this is a little over the top (only seen once before In a top restaurant In Bordeaux) and maybe a relaxing atmosphere spoiled by someone wandering around with raw meat. No quite sure why the same thing didn’t happen to me once I made my choice although relieved.

We both went for the stilton soufflé starters which were extremely tasty and melted in our mouths unfortunately not the biggest of portions. I then chose a Porterhouse steak with a red wine jus with dauphinoise potatoes and my partner the Whitchurch chicken which came with asparagus and a “Manchester egg” which was a soft boiled egg coated in black pudding (I think) and then breadcrumbs. With no description of what’s inside I think more accurately this should be a “Bury egg” as my partner left the coating as she doesn’t like black pudding. In addition a side order or sugar snap peas complemented the chicken nicely.

Finally i had sticky toffee pudding and my partner had ice cream which was both very good. This was all washed down with two more glasses of rose, a bottle of sparkling wine and two liquor coffees.

All In all I would say a decent meal but you need to watch the prices as everything is an extra and this helped the bill to creep up to £110.00 which was steep considering I had a much better meal the following night for half the price. If you are a meat eater then perhaps this is the place for you but not a great selection otherwise so perhaps I would say give It a try and see what you think.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dudley,West Midlands
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

2nd time here and even better than the first. Had requested quiet table if one was available and were given lovely spot upstairs. Waiting staff very friendly and knowledgable. Special thanks to Louisa who was particularly great and seemed genuinely interested. Good starters followed by bone in ribeye for me and usda ribeye for my wife. Both steaks were beautiful. Looking forward to returning when next in Chester. Thank you.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Oh wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

It's a must for a fantastic eating experience .. The staff are helpful,friendly and know about everything they serve , we sat upstairs because it was fully booked downstairs as we called in earlier in day to book and they fitted us in .but it was a great experience and would request upstairs again. So glad they fitted us in and it will be a regular visit when we visit Chester.

Visited December 2013