“Stunning food AND impeccable service”

Upstairs at The Grill
Ranked #6 of 564 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Upstairs at the Grill is a split-level Manhattan-style steakhouse and intimate cocktail bar located in Chester City Centre. Open Monday to Thursday from 5pm and from 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we offer our guests the opportunity to explore our selection of locally sourced dry aged beef and extensive wine list. We look forward to welcoming you to Upstairs at the Grill.Upstairs At The Grill is available for a range of private parties, birthday parties, working lunches, business meetings or wedding receptions. Whether an intimate table of 2, party of 8 or an all-out celebration for 80, we’re here to help.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Chose this restaurant for my birthday meal based on the reviews I saw on here. So glad we went as the food was amazing, as was the service. We liked that the bar staff and waiters sat with us and advised us on which wine to have with our meal and which steak was the best cut. It's the best service we have received anywhere which is saying a lot as my partner and I are quite a fussy pair :o) Lovely atmosphere and we didn't feel at all rushed which made a refreshing change. When I booked the table I mentioned that it was my birthday and there was a card on the table when we sat down to dine which I thought was a lovely touch.
I had steak tartare to start - the first time I've tried it and it was gorgeous, as was my partners French onion soup.
We both chose the 12oz ribeye cooked medium (as recommended). I loved it but my partner said he would go for the fillet next time as he's not keep on the fat, but that's just his preference - I love it! We had sides of triple cooked chips, cabbage & bacon and haggis fritters; all 3 were cooked beautifully. We were very full after 2 courses but neither of us could resist a desert! I had orange & honeycomb chocolate pot & my partner settled on the sticky toffee pudding, both were incredible.
It's not cheap to eat here, but lovely for a treat and I really don't object to paying for good quality food and service - here we got both and we would have happily paid more. Will definitely eat here again. My new favorite restaurant!

There are newer reviews for Upstairs at The Grill

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a recommendation from family and what a lovely experience it was. The service is excellent with all staff being welcoming and very knowledgeable. The soufle was a delight and the steak delicious, my only regret was that I had no room for desert.

1  Thank Paula R
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our 3rd wedding anniversary as we fancied eating out somewhere special and had heard really good reviews, those reviews were not wrong. We both had the most amazing food, starters of carpaccio and scallops and fillet steak for main, everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection and the service was impeccable. A great location with a lovely atmosphere. Will definitely return!

1  Thank Wifeyden
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the owners of Edgar House Guest House and it did not disappoint. entering the lovely old building we were greeted very warmly and when our coats had been taken were shown to a lovely seating area where we were able to chose our meal in comfort. The food and service were excellent and we can highly recommend it to anyone and will certainly return when next at Edgar House.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ok...bottom line - meal really lovely and yes a worthwhile eating experience, but boy the staff were far to conditioned for my liking. I thought I'd walked on the set of Stepford Wives/husbands! Yes great service, but guys take it down a peg or two - would be lovely to feel some of your own personalities coming through. Instead I observed rather fixed grins which kind of didn't fit in to the real world for me. A little laughter and freedom to express oneself would have been nice to witness. Another constructive critism I feel is that service is conducted in a slightly robotic manner - we were given little time to take a breath between courses and we were on a late table, so what's the rush. The food was delicious and being showed the cuts of meat was great - the drinks and menu choice was brilliant - just something lacking for me in the service. Final word to whoever is cracking the whip here - keep standards high and consistent yes, but encourage some individual personalities to shine - its what makes the world more enchanting and fun. Here endeth the lesson! We did have a super meal and a lovely evening together.

3  Thank Dawne J