“Service charge - a word of caution”
Review of The Blackhouse Grill - Chester - CLOSED

The Blackhouse Grill - Chester
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I think the Blackhouse Grill needs to address the issue of their service charge for groups of more than 6 people. We were two families comprising 7 people and had booked on a night with 50% discount. We were presented with the bill which we paid without question and then I was checking to see if service was included or whether we should leave a tip. On checking the bill I was surprised to see a service charge of £20, the total bill coming to £150 including this charge. One of my daughters then mentioned that there was a discretionary service charge of 10% for groups of more than 6, but it is in very small print on one of the leaflets on the table. In fairness to the staff, they resolved this issue without argument and we then left what we thought a suitable tip.
If a service charge is discretionary, then I don't think it should be automatically added to the bill. In many restaurants you may choose whether or not to include a tip when settling the bill. Either the Blackhouse Grill needs to impose a compulsory 10% service charge on the total amount of the bill - not the full menu price if 50% discount is applied - or leave it up to the customer to decide on the amount.
In general the food was very good, the only disappointment being that the beef ribs one of my daughters had were very fatty. The rest of us enjoyed our meals. The service was good and the staff friendly and accommodating. We would certainly return here, but if we are a group of 6 or more will be aware of the issue with the service charge and will address it before asking for the bill.

There are newer reviews for The Blackhouse Grill - Chester

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have visited here many times and each time has been enjoyable. Particularly the scallop salad and crispy beef salad are delicious. My partner and I usually have a few cocktails here and from the alcoholic to the non alcoholic each are Devine.

We have recommended this restaurant to many close friends and to those who have visited, all commented on how lovely it was.

Definitely worth visiting.

Grill on Newgat... C, Manager at The Blackhouse Grill - Chester, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We hope to see you again soon for many more cocktails!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Last night we had a reservation at ZiZi at half past nine, purely because we couldn't get a table anywhere. We opted to go in the Black house for a few pre drinks at 7pm.
We explained our situation to the young gentlemen on the door and he said he would try and fit us in. To our delight we was given a table around 8:45, by this time we was really hungry, so more than happy at the outcome.

We drank at the bar up until our table was ready, The cocktails are expertly handmade and taste beautiful.

Our meals were quick considering the place was completely packed, and the customer service wasn't affected either.

We had two starters, two mains (including two fillet steaks), a dessert to share and two drinks whilst at the table. The food was perfectly cooked, all requirements were met I.e I had corn on the cob instead of chips.
The bill came to around £75.
And we spent around £25, before we sat.
I wouldn't complain about the prices, you get what you pay for.

Everything was perfect, the atmosphere was brilliant also with live piano artist.

I shall return again when in Chester.

Grill on Newgat... C, Manager at The Blackhouse Grill - Chester, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Reviewer, It is great to know that your dining experience with us showcased our high level on standards not only with our food but with our service. We hope to see you again soon for many more cocktails!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Expected better from here. Had the large ribeye. Was extremely fatty and could hardly eat any of it. Felt like I paid £20.00 for a portion of chips. Very poor value.

1  Thank shaun h
Grill on Newgat... C, General Manager at The Blackhouse Grill - Chester, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

It is unfortunate to hear that your dining experience with us was not up to our high standards.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further.

Please contact myself at the restaurant on the number provided and we can discuss any issues you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

L. Smith

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Eat here fairly often. Steak always impressive. Sadly they had run out of lobster which my wife was not pleased about! Perhaps phone ahead if you fancy something particular. I recommend the T-bone steak and seafood mornay starter. Good service. Excellent meal.

We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable dining experience with us. Sorry that we could not offer the lobster that evening, next time please give the restaurant a call and we will ensure we have the lobster for you.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future