“good again...”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Second visit to the blackhouse grill in chester. Drinks at bar first, then to a little table for two in the corner. Calamari and thai fishcakes with bread and olives to start; delicious and well cooked. Chicken fajitas and rump steak for mains. My fajitas were delicious, but the rump was a little stringy this time for my partner. He didn't bother sending it back as he still enjoyed it. When talking to the manager at 'bill' time, he said he would have replaced it for us. Still we enjoyed with gin and tonic, long island tea cocktail, lime and soda and wainwrights £78. Nice night.
Completed survey at end of meal o a mini ipad and received a 25% voucher off by email today. So we will return.

Grill on Newgat... C, General Manager at The Blackhouse Grill - Chester, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thak you very much for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you with that voucher in the near future.

Kind regards

L Smith

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went there on busy Saturday night for husbands birthday. We all ordered steak for our main meals, all the steaks came over but we were not told which one was which ie well done/ medium cooked, so spent a few minutes juggling plates round, my husband had asked for medium to well done but was very pink in the middle and blood coming out, so we sent it back, unfortunately the second steak was no better, but my husband was so fed by this point, that he just ate it, so overall a disappointing evening, food was quite tasty, but vegtables and salads are all at expensive extra price.

1  Thank 891Estherg891
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I made a reservation at the Blackhouse Grill, Chester for 7.45pm on Friday 14th June 2013.
We had a drink at the bar and was seated to our table overlooking the kitchen which was very noisy!.
The waitress came over a couple of times as we were looking at the menu to say they had run out of a few things on the menu including oysters and the dover sole and a couple of other things which didn't matter to me as I wanted Fajitas. 2 minutes later she then came over again to say that they had no Fajitas left at all! This was all before 8pm!. I was very dissapointed as there was nothing else that I really fancied. Having decided on a burger with bacon and cheddar the order came quite quick and the food was hot. My other half ordered the fillet steak and chips with diane sauce which he really liked.

Overall it was a nice restaurant but I cant beleive they had run out of so much food so early in the night when the restaurant wasn't even full.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had lunch on Saturday 8th June 2013. What is it with this place? Had an average experience last visit, but thought to give it another chance.
Firstly, requested table outside, which we got. However, there were no napkins and the floor was so dirty. Yes, outside you say, but an effort of perhaps a brush at some point before lunches start?
Ordered mussells, which were very tasty, but no finger bowl to freshen hands. Had to return cutelry as it had splashed fat, the replacements were not much better.
I asked what house wine they served, and was advised they did not serve house wine.... but had the choice of a wine list. Prices startered from £19 per bottle.
I ordered beef sandwich, the beef had sogged into the ciabata, which was not nice and the chips were over-cooked. My partner had fish and chips, which to be fair, saved the lunch. The batter was nice and lite and the fish was plentyfull.
Needless to say, that's our last visit. It looks the part but does not deliver the service the prices demand.

1  Thank krysia62
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Enjoyed a good lunch in the sunshine, I enjoyed a delicious club sandwich that came with a little basket of chips, and the lunch menu included a glass of either prosecco or beer for £12,50.
The food came quite quickly which is always helpful at lunch time, we sat outside and it was better than I expected with being so close to the road.
The service could have been a little more polished.
I would go back as the food was very good, also I have been previously where it was all round excellent.