“Our experience at Sticky...”
Review of Sticky Walnut

Sticky Walnut
Ranked #7 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Cheshire
“Our experience at Sticky...”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I run a restaurant not far from Sticky and for us it's an example of how it should be done. I recently took two of our team for lunch there.

One of the team won't mind me saying that she hasn't had many opportunities to enjoy great food. In fact, she only tried pate for the first time on the Sunday before our visit to Sticky. To say she's reluctant to try new things is understating it.

The biggest compliment I can pay Sticky is to say that this particular team member ate everything and was blown away.

Whether it's fine dining or not fine dining it doesn't matter. It's just food. If a chef can take a reluctant, fussy eater and make her enjoy new foods to the extent this girl did, they must be good.

If you're in that small group of people that haven't tried Sticky then take tripadvisor with a pinch of salt. It would be such a shame if people avoided this fantastic restaurant because of negative reviews. When you look closely it's clear how much thought and hard work goes into delivering the great product that is Sticky.

Rich Isherwood

2 Thank mitchellstattenhall

Chester
“IT IS Fine Dining”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Having dined in Michelin star restaurants all over the world I would like to entirely contradict everything the previous reviewer said. Good food does not need an over powering atmosphere and unnecessary 'extras' in their decor. I have always very much enjoyed the sticky walnut and I completely understand and agree with their concept, that just like many other fine dining establishments, less is more. It's about taste and not being so full you can hardly move. Absolutely loved the beets starter, innovative and a kick with the pumpkin seeds works well. I had the chicken main which was also very good, succulent and sea spinal broad beans. My only grouch would be that I am a huge fan of gnocchi and more than four pieces should be incorporated into the dish. The service has always been good the staff are knowledgeable about their wines which is always something I value,and the simplistic and lack of pretentious element is what adds to it's charm. I would definitely recommend.

2 Thank Surelynothey
“One of the Best Restaurants in the North West.”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Ignore the last bad review, he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. Sticky Walnut is a fantastic little bistro with lovely staff and stunningly simple food. It's not even that expensive either, for food of this quality cooked by a proper chef. As a food obsessive myself, I do know what I'm talking about, I eat out very regularly and have visited many Michelin star restaurants both here and abroad. However if you don't believe me or the vast majority, try the best food critic in the country Marina O'Loughlin who absolutely loved Sticky too.
Unfair and unbalanced reviews such as this are completely demoralising to people who work in restaurants and in this case put their heart and soul into it. It's especially ludicrous as Sticky Walnut is simply one of my favourite places to eat in the North West.

13 Thank Bacon o
Manchester, United Kingdom
“39th Best restaurant in the Country Best In North West - NRA's 2014”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Earlier this week in London Sticky Walnut was voted by 150 Industry Peers at the National Restaurant Awards as the 39th Best Restaurant in the Uk and the best placed in the Northwest.

150 Chefs, restauranteurs, food critics and journalists were given a vote.

The following night at the Hospitality Industry awards 'The Cateys', the Owner of Sticky Walnut was invited to cook the banquet dinner. Gary cooked for 1300 industry professionals at the Hospitlaity 'Oscars'.

The menu was drawn from dishes that Gary has served/still serves at the bistro in Hoole.

Indeed Gary has also won an award for having the best menu in the country.

None of the above absolves criticism but it certainly puts some of the more ludicrous, borderline slanderous and certainly factually incorrect comments on here into context.

This is one of the best restaurants in the country, if you cant see that perhaps there is something wrong with your vision.

Well done to all the staff at Sticky Walnut!

Ps if you use capitals in writing above the age of 10 please be aware that it is likely you will be ignored

PPS steak tartare is amazing

12 Thank ExRestoPro
Wirral
“Pretentious rip off. I agree 'measly portions'.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Right, where to start. Suffice to say that I, GENUINELY, have only posted positive comments before on TA. So incensed by our visit to SW that I had to make the effort to hopefully save others! The fly circling our table and the tiny prison cell room with boring decor, might have been forgivable if the food was fantastic, but it wasn’t. What an incredible rip off. The worst case of ‘what’s the biggest mark up I can make’, I’ve ever come across. Lambs tongue, beetroot for starters, one tiny 1” x 2” piece of pork fillet for mains. Cheap ingredients – hiked prices.
Don’t be one of the duped ‘King’s new clothes’ clan. With so many places offering so much better cuisine and value for money, why go there? Just don’t!
Just because something is expensive, doesn’t make it good. Especially prices quoted in round pounds without even pound signs! – cheeky and pretentious. If you really know Fine Dining, you won’t be fooled. Dining is about the whole experience. So to eat at a pokey little shop, the food has to be that much better. It wasn’t. Peppercorns swamped the fatty Beef (rightly, not ‘steak’!) Tartare. Pea risotto overpowered by a truckload of parsley. Enough.

25 Thank Ivor_Validcomment