“wish it were our local restaurant....”
Review of Sticky Walnut

Sticky Walnut
Ranked #8 of 570 Restaurants in Chester
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

really liked this place, friendly staff, great food, nice relaxed atmosphere so very happy with whole experience, thank you

2  Thank AnjnaS

Reviewed November 2, 2012

A small restaurant with lots of character, and very intimate. Lunchtime menu was very reasonable at around £8.00 for a main, and the three meals we ordered were all beautifully cooked. Downstairs is vibrant with a view of the chef busying himself, upstairs? if I had a choice I wouldn't sit there, it is a different world, and is quite a contrast to the atmosphere of the ground floor.
Service? well that's a difficult one, very attractive girls who are both efficient to the point of being brusque. They were spot on with everything they did, but something, perhaps it was a pleasant attitude, was sadly missing, Also,I do object to not being acknowledged with a 'thank you and goodbye' on leaving any establishment, especially after I had left a generous cash tip.

2  Thank Dalestreet
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Having eaten here on several occasions now, I feel i am qualified to rate this place and it is brillinat.
I have never eaten a bad meal here, never suffered from anything other than perfect service and I always feel comfortable in the place.
Truly brilliant and I would recommend the Jacobs Ladder when its on the menu.

1  Thank Ben H
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Had a wonderful Thursday evening here, chosen both for the reviews on Tripadvisor and for being fairly close to our hotel on Hoole Road. We were seated upstairs with only another six or so tables of diners. It's a fairly small place but had a lovely atmosphere, all the better for being full of people enjoying themselves. The menu choices were interesting - first time I've seen goat on the menu anywhere, my husband had that and loved it. I went veggie and had a cheese and spinach pithivier, which was also delicious. Excellent service too. Not the cheapest place, but would definitely go back if I'm ever in Chester again (and I feel sure I will be, loved the city).

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Unfortunately the evening did not start off very well; we arrived to be placed at a upstairs table situated by the open fire exit with three of us sat trapped behind the table which we then had to move out if anyone wanted the toliet. Although uncomfortable after a while, the biggest concern in retrospect was the safety issue - in the event of a fire those situated by the fire exit would have been trampled and the other three would have been trapped!

Roast beet starter was nothing special, well presented but the flavour just wasn't there. The main was amazing, really well constructed, clearly a lot of thought had gone into the flavour.

The reason for one star (even if everything else had been absolutely perfect, it would still be one star) was the parting comment by the waitress who rather unceremoniously told us to leave because she had people waiting ... I could understand being asked to vacate the table if we were just taking our time over things. However, we knew there was another booking and only ONE of our group (of six) was finishing off a glass of red wine (we were getting up to go and some of our group had already left). As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for this level of service, it is such an important part of the experience. The truth is if the service is wrong it ruins the whole night. I am really disappointed, it should have been a great night and it just wasn't because of a moments lack of thought from one member of staff. Needless to say, I am afraid we won't be going back

15  Thank Jan3535