“The Chef/Owner Is Going Places....Big Time.”
Review of Sticky Walnut

Sticky Walnut
Ranked #7 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
North Wales
“The Chef/Owner Is Going Places....Big Time.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Recently visited Sticky Walnut for the first time. This is a cosy, warm candle-lit restaurant with the perfect atomosphere for both enjoying intimate dinners but also for groups of families/friends and probably colleagues too. It's not so big that you get drowned out in noise though it's not too small that it feels like the other tables are listening to your conversation....it's just right.

I was expecting the food to be excellent, it certainly was.

I've crossed paths with Sticky Walnet owner/chef Gary a number of times in the past 10+ years which was why I decided to make the effort to visit SW. Although he's still very young he's spent over a decade developing under some of the most famous names you'll have heard (if you're into TV chefs and all that!) and worked in some fabulous London restaurants as a result. I was expecting to see him deliver something that reflected his hard work and dedication over the years.....it certainly didn't disappoint. I've seen posts about small portion sizes, I don't share that view at all. We were all stuffed. Our plates were not mounded with food but you wouldn't expect that in a place that services top quality food?

If you want cheap food with huge portions, go to some greasy eat-all-you-can buffet. If you're after great food then you know what to expect.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank bradyboy1978

Flint, United Kingdom
“Well worth the wait!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We've been trying to get in at the Sticky Walnut on a Saturday evening for some months, but have always left it too late to book a table - worthy testament to the restaurant's popularity. We've now finally made it and it was excellent - good ambience, excellent food with original combinations of flavours, accurate cooking and delightful presentation. I very rarely have the cheese option when dining out, but here it is well worth going for: three cheeses you don't normally find, at just the right state of maturity and lovely bread and membrillo to accompany it. Thoroughly recommended!

• Visited October 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
“Local resturant”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been here once, and the food is great - it's local restaurant that serves food jamie oliver style. Quite a small place but well worth booking and trying the food. Quirky place, personal service. Great!

Visited June 2012
“Lovely place”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Great food, great atmosphere, good wine, waitresses are all good looking but a little training is needed. All in all a good experience.

1 Thank Steaklovers
Cheshire
“Excellent for a special occasion”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I booked the Sticky Walnut for our wedding anniversary, largely because of the reviews on here.

What an excellent choice it proved to be. The atmosphere was just right; busy enough to have some, but not so loud as to be obtrusive or prevent conversation. We were promptly seated and brought a menu by a very pleasant and helpful young lady waitress.

We chose a starter each and a shared chateaubriand for the main course. My starter was salmon, served with a pesto sauce and a delicious runny egg that had somehow been given a fried breadcrumb crust, it was a lovely combination. My wife has a weakness for pâté, and chose accordingly; I tried a sample and was jealous, although I'm not normally a fan of pâté!

The main course, chateaubriand, was absolutely fabulous. Presentation was excellent, and the plates were properly heated before bringing to the table. The beef itself was amazing. I'm quite a keen cook myself, but have no idea how someone can cook a piece of meat so well, it just melted in the mouth and was full of flavour. It was served with whole roasted carrots and potato wedges with Parmesan, both excellent.

For desert my wife had a lovely hot chocolate pudding and this time it was my turn to order my weakness, creme brûlée. The only slightly negative point was that the brûlée was cold, I prefer it when the sugar is still hot. My wife's chocolate pud was fabulous and luckily she was unable to eat all of it so I had to help her out.

I had glasses of wine to accompany each course, and took the recommendation of the waitress for 2 of the courses. Both were very good, and complemented the food well. My wife doesn't drink a lot, so just had a G&T and then water. The G&T was apparently particularly good.

The bill was just over £100, excluding a tip. For us this is a reasonable amount for a special occasion, and easily bearable when the food is as special as this. Highly recommended.