“The right choice!”

Ranked #4 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Sheffield
“The right choice!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I had to choose somewhere to stay for 5 nights, and this was purely done by researching on Trip Advisor as I had never stayed anywhere in Chester before. I came across this little gem, and I am very pleased that I braved the fact that it was haunted, and booked!

From the moment I booked, I felt welcomed at Ye Olde Kings Head. I contacted them on Facebook, they responded straight away. I was really excited to stay in a place with such character and less than 5 minute walk from the Uni.

We stayed in Room 2. One of the least haunted rooms thankfully! It was beautiful, with the black beams & white walls. Low door frame for the bathroom but I just loved the character that this room had to offer. We asked for a TV and a helpful member of staff brought us a flat screen TV with free view and DVD player. Excellent! There was a kettle, mugs, spoons and coffee & tea on the dresser. There was also a hair dryer and a trouser press. The bed was mega comfy and so warm. We had some really good sleeps there! The only negative about the room was that the walls are very thin, and the floorboards creak a lot so you can hear all sorts going on BUT I would not let this stop me staying there again, and nor should you.
The bathroom was stunning. There was lovely hot water, but the shower could have been just that little bit more powerful. This didn't affect our stay.
One night we ate downstairs, the landlord kindly gave us discount off our drinks as well as the food so thank you for that! We had fish & chips and it was gorgeous. The bar is just filled with character, and a real log fire. Cosy!
One night we ended up staying out a little later than expected and when we returned at 11.30 we were locked out. I think we were supposed to have been given a Yale key, but we only had the fob! Luckily, 2 guests were abouts to let themselves in so we got in ok. This is not a criticism, but just to make sure that the keys for Room 2 should have a Yale key on them.
I would like to think that I experienced some ghostly activity during my stay here-on 2 occasions I heard something drop & bounce in the room. It was playful, and when I got home and researched the Inn, I found out that a child haunts the place?! Wicked! I really think the ghost child was there-it felt lovely and not threatening at all.
I would love to come back on another occasion and do some proper ghost hunting!! What an interesting, unique and special place to spend time.

I would like to thank the staff at the Inn for making us feel welcome and for keeping the place alive-it's really important that our heritage is looked after & restored for the next generations to enjoy!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gellikinz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a fantastic place to stay to see Chester, being only a short walk from the heart of the City being convenient for shopping and the Cathedral. It is, as the name suggests, old and full of character. The rooms are refurbished and decorated tastefully to a good standard, and the shower room was new and clean. The old timbers are exposed, you just have to mind your head on the truss, and duck to go to the toilet! The sloping floor just adds to the interest, and doesn't prevent a good nights sleep on a nicely firm bed. Just as long as you remember when you get up, and don't think you are drunk! The food is absolutely delicious. Everything is obviously freshly prepared, cooked to perfection and nicely presented with generous portions. The home made chips are to die for. Eggs Benedict for breakfast, yummy; and Panini's for lunch, mmm. The staff were friendly and very helpful making us feel welcome and couldn't do enough to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We are going back there in the summer without doubt!

Room Tip: Room 1 has a four poster and looks really nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Haunted, but not in a bad way....
I stayed here during the Festive Season and had a great time. Harry the Boss couldn't have been more helpful and his staff were first class and very friendly... and funny.
Good live entertainment in the evening, with a great, friendly vibe.
Hotel is centrally positioned and close to everything worth seeing in Chester.
I'd been told about the buildings haunted history, but I'm Mr black & white and don't go in for nonsense... or so I thought. Nothing actually seen, but considering I was sleeping alone, the bed felt very crowded....
I will be back... despite having to jostle for position in my four poster!

Room Tip: Go for the four poster with the little bell on it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We had a great stay at this inn - the quality of the room was nicer than expected given the price (very clean, nice bed, modern bathroom) and it is a really charming place. Great location, just 2 minutes' walk from the high street. The service was also very good and the pub downstairs was a nice inviting place.

The only downside perhaps was the low shower pressure and cold bathroom (as there was a draft), but overall still good value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Accomodation: Truly original ye olde stuff!! Clean, well presented, good more than basic facilities. Stunning because of the fact it is hundreds of years old!! You might have to duck to take a leak!! MINT! There are creaky floorboards (even better) and furniture in keeping. The bathroom was very clean and useable. I have back problems, so find it hard to judge the beds, or to comment. Then again, anyone reading this who is over 25 will probably understand!! however, we were in room 6 and the bed is akin to a medieval one. That bed is quite hard, which is good for me. But may not be for others... that's hotels though eh?

Staff:
No comparison with staff at the 5* lowry i have stayed at in Manchester, or many other 'top class hotels' Give me the Kings head staff any day. Made to feel the most welcome we have been anywhere. With no false customer service Boll**ks. Above and beyond the call of duty is all I can say. Half of me want's to say it is crap, so it will be free when we want to go back. But I can't. They have customer service nailed!

Food: We both expected decent pub grub. What we got was a whole lot more!! EVERYTHINGwe had was home made and locally sourced. Proof was in the eating!. We had the chicken goujons for a starter and shared because my mrs didn't want lots. I was a bit gutted till it came out!! We were expecting some bobbins 6 frozen chicken things on a bed of salad etc...... NO. We got homemade fresh battered MASSIVE goujons served on a wooden board with salad and a drizzle of bbq sauce... Amazing. The mains were the same. Also I might add, the breakfast was absolutely substantial and local!! I cant wait to go back and try the suasage and mash!!

Negatives: Wow, for me, none, however. For my wife, because it is an old building she would recommend anyone that feels the cold to take a dressing gown and slippers. I personally didn't feel it that much. But I have no doubt the staff will provide extra blankets if asked. The shower, also, we were in room 6 and the pressure wasn't great with the shower. But it worked, and the water was v hot!. I had a nice bath in there.

Summary:
Value for money will never be a question at the Kings head for me, because it is without question. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, not only because of the character and history of the building (of which there are a few in chester) But for us it was the welcome, the staff, the service and the atmosphere. Let me put it this way. My wife and I will be confirming our gay marriage vows next year at the Kings head once the government makes it legal. We couldn't think of a better place after a fantastic weekend there and an alternative customer service that pours over the more '5*' hotels. Which will always make me uncomfortable. Can't wait to go back.Thanks guys. WELL worth the money. Can't recomend it more highly for the normal interesting and inquisitive traveller wanting good value accomodation and far above avrage service and food.
If you are someone who likes spa/ five star getting fannied to hotels, then try the kings head anyway. I defy you not to like it!!

Room Tip: room 6 where i stayed was away from the main road. all rooms are 'cool' because of the age o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Love this place! Have been in for a couple of times when visiting Chester and it keeps on getting better and better. Really lovely atmosphere, friendly staff and even though we haven't had a meal there yet, the food looks amazing! We were in Chester for new year and had only planned to pop in for a drink or two and ended up staying here all night, we had a great time! The live music added to the already lively atmosphere. The staff were fantastic and the place has been decorated so tastefully, even the toilets were impressive! Had a great night, looking forward to visiting again soon and definitely going to have a meal next time. The best pub in Chester in my opinion!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

After a long December in the hospitality trade I opted for a night away to chill and recharge

The kings head came up on last minute.com so I decided to give it a whirl based on its central location and price

£60 for a 4 poster bed without breakfast bargain

I will get straight to the point,

Great location
Great nights sleep
Great staff and management
Peroni on draught

Free parking when available, what more can I ask for

Really enjoyed so will be booking again soon

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple