“Smashing pub for overnight stay in Chester!”

Ye Olde King's Head
Ranked #4 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Florida
“Smashing pub for overnight stay in Chester!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We had gone to Chester for some shopping and ended up staying over. We had only gone in the pub for a drink, but ended up enquiring how much the rooms were..at £49, we couldn't refuse!

We were given a superior room as that's all that was left! It was spacious with a 4 poster! It was convenient for the shops plus free parking at the back! I can recommend this lovely inn!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank pandas1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I popped in here for a quick drink this past Saturday night and we really liked it. The decor is fabulous; dark, rich wood and leather, lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even exchanging a drink with no questions asked when my girlfriend's half a cider didn't agree with her after the initial sip. Definitely worth a punt if you're in Chester city centre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Uk
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I went here for lunch with my mum and sister when in chester for a day out. From the outside I wasn't expecting much - just a standard pub lunch. Inside it was a quant pub lit with candles and there was nice classical music playing. There wasnt many people inside although it was a weekday lunchtime and was pouring down outside.
The menu is standard pub food - burger and chips, lasagna, bangers and mash etc. I ordered bangers and mash and the others in my party ordered burger and chips and steak and ale pudding I think. When the food came out we were all starving and the food looked lovely. My bangers and mash was really nice. The sausages were a very good quality and there was a red wine gravy that really complimented the whole dish. The burger that came out was huge! It was definiltley handmade. The chips were nice and thick and crispy. There was a balsamic and pesto drizzle at the side of the chips which was nice for dipping. All dishes were all presented in a very nice way. Much fancier than we expected on walking into the pub. The price was also very good for the food.

All in all it was a lovely birthday lunch and I will definiltley make sure I return to this pub when next in chester.

• Stayed June 2013
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

my daughter surprised me for my birthday and my wife with a weekend away in chester ,im so glad she booked the olde kings head the rooms were comfy and clean, food and beer excellent and saff very friendly have booked to go back for my wifes birthday in december cannot wait.our friends could not book into the same place as they were fully booked they stayed up the road but next time they are in the same place as they love it . from ken dibdin

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mair d
Chalfont St Giles, England
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ideally located for seeing the city with the added bonus that it has parking so you can leave the car and explore the city on foot. We received a warm welcome from the staff and the owner even took the trouble to greet us. We had a quaint but tastefully furnished and very clean room with fresh flowers on the bedside table - a lovely touch. The breakfast was freshly cooked and tasted so good that we decided to eat there the following evening when we found the food was every bit as good and reasonably priced. All the staff were very willing to please and nothing was too much trouble - thank you for an enjoyable stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Food was very impressive - we both had the lasagne, and agreed it was probably the best pub lasagne we'd ever had, thick and meaty with a decent pail of chips on the side. Staff were friendly and welcoming, although there was quite a wait between the starter and main. Even after they asked if we were ready for it there was at least another 10-15 minutes before the food arrived.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
whitehaven
Reviewed June 19, 2013

went for a meal here during our stay in Chester. good atmosphere in an historic setting. we chose the steak pudding which was more suet than meat. gravy was the best part of the meal. I chose chips rather than horseradish mash. either the pint was expensive or I was charged for the chips as an extra!!! staff were very good. choice of ales were poor. wont be going back. better pub/ale/food next door at the 'Tap'

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple