“Our favourite Guest House in Chester.”

The Limes Guest House
Ranked #55 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Our favourite Guest House in Chester.”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Once again we stayed in The Limes Guest House on Hoole Road. Since 1997 we have followed the Manageress, Mall Hall, to every location she has run. As usual we had a lovely time with people we have come to regard as friends. The staff were very good and everything was kept beautifully clean and the breakfast was perfect. Unfortunately everything did not go like clockwork on this visit, but this was not down to Mal or her staff, rather it was due to another establishment we have used for 17 years, the Coach House. In spite of the lovely staff doing everything they could for us, an unbending chef single handedly ruined our holiday.

Room Tip: Let them know if you have a disability.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Had no booking just called in on off chance of a room for the night. The owner made me feel very welcome and showed me the room before I committed myself to staying. Was a large, clean ensuite room which I found quite suitable. This guest house is an easy walk to Chester town centre. Only down side was it did not have the best wi fi, but really minor issue. A good cooked breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Gaye M
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

After reading some earlier reviews we were a little apprehensive before our arrival. However our concerns were unfounded. A very comfortable and spacious room, super choice and quality breakfast and the lady owner very obliging with a great sense of humour. Highly recommended - would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at The Limes on the Hoole Road back in April – I’ve just not had time to get the done – but feel I should review due to some of the negative reviews I’ve seen on here.

The Guest House is easily found on the Hoole Road – we’d hired a car from Liverpool airport, taking 40 mins from the airport to the front door – perfect using old sally satnav.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Mal the host, who couldn’t have been more welcoming. We quickly got settled then came down and asked where the nearest place was to get something to eat, she gave a about half a dozen places to choose from; all within walking distance. I highly recommend The Faulkner. Come out of the Limes, cross at the traffic lights and walk about 500 yard and you’ll find it on the left. Food was very reasonably priced and portions were large and the staff couldn’t have been more friendly if they tried – top marks ☺ We also eat at The Shanghai Restaurant which is 3/4 doors down from the guest house – best Chinese meal I have ever had.

The guest house room was clean, presentable and had all the normal mod cons, but to be honest we were out most of the day. It’s not 4 star but it was really was only a place to sleep and get breakfast, and it did that without any issues or problems. Breakfast was full English or choices of. There was cereal and the usual yogurts etc. Very tasty and always on time. Wifi is available free of charge you just need to ask for the password, its a bit weak, but you can sit downstair at night and pick up a strong signal or at the front door - where I sat out on a couple of occasions as it was sunny.
If there was only one criticism it would be that breakfast was a bit early only being served until 8:30 – but having the little one with us it was all good, it gave us time to have breakfast, plan the day and get out there.

Great location to town, you are literally not even ½ a mile from town, come out of the front door, turn right and walk over the bridge. Cross over the small canal bridge on the other side and you are in town – keep walking and you will hit the pedestrian area – turn right and all of Chester Highstreet is there in it’s glory, plenty of shops, places to eat etc. 10 min walk or 15 with a child.

ChesterZoo is less than 10 minute drive and Cheshire Oak about 15 mins in the car. All in all – I would stay here again, great host, great location for seeing all of the sites of Chester.

Thanks,
Dave

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Davie78
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014

As a family we booked 5 rooms for an overnight stay at The Limes, but after reading reviews on this site we were worried whether we had done the right thing! We were very pleased to find that we were greeted with a smile on arrival and check in was very easy. Rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was good with both cereals, fruit and full cooked English breakfast on offer, and service with a smile. I would definitely use this B & B again and would recommend others to do so as well!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Where to start. I arrived on Friday 11th April with my friend and her 15 year old daughter, plus two friends who had collected us from the station with our cases. We had booked two family rooms for two nights, totalling eight beds, with seven of us staying.

The moment we arrived the female host of The Limes was unwelcoming and I'd even go as far as to say hostile. Considering a discussion was had at the time of booking regarding the reason for our stay, (large group of mixed age friends in Chester for 15 year old's birthday celebrations), the landlady was extremely unaccomadating.

Breakfast is between 7:30 & 8:45 on any given day, and after meeting the host, none of our party had breakfast on either day, even though my friend had kindly paid a great deal for breakfast inclusion. Be aware that heck out is 10:00 a.m, zero flexibility even withnthe offer of supplementation. Though this is assuming you make it past 9:25 without a loud rap on the door from housekeeping, who on talking to was also very hostile, exclaiming that it was "Coming Up To Ten Though Isn't It!?" we see no reason for the constant and immediate impoliteness during all encounters with staff here.
The main point of this review is that we are average people who were away, we were out all day and evening, only coming back to sleep and get ready. Some of our party are older, it is not as though we were a group of rowdy teens.
Try the Bawd Lodge across the street, onsite restaurant and bar, and far nicer place to spend your hard-earned time and spends.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Psych89
Cheltenham
Reviewed April 14, 2014

To start with,the woman who runs this place is far from welcoming and warm. She made remarks that were rather pointed and rude and the day before we left (I'd booked the 2 family rooms) she asked when we'd be out. We were shocked to learn breakfast is only served between 7:30-8:45 and checkout is at 10. When she asked when we were leaving, I asked her if it was possible to check out later,adding I was willing to pay a fee for late check out and she immediately said no. So why ask me when we were leaving if she's not flexible? Due to the early hour of breakfast,none of us had it. (There were 7 of us in total.) At one point,when friends arrived,my daughter and another friend ran downstairs to greet them and accidently locked themselves out. I came downstairs to let them in only to find she was standing by the door the whole time making no move to let them in! As my friends came in she berated us for the "noise"-this was at 6pm and other than my daughter and friend running downstairs to greet our friends,they weren't noisy at all. In room 6 there was a picture hanging above the double bed that had been broken and instead of removing it which would have been the safest and wisest option,she just put electrical tape on it. Room 7's door wouldn't lock,so I had no choice but to leave the door unlocked when we went out. There were also electrical sockets that didn't work. I wouldn't suggest this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Go to a different B&B or hotel if you want a good room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends