“Excellent B & B”
Review of Cheltenham Lodge

Cheltenham Lodge
Ranked #23 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights at the Cheltenham Lodge while visiting Chester recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The room was on the first floor at the rear of the property and was very quiet, clean and comfortable. While speaking to David, the proprietor, at breakfast we explained where we were visiting and he went to the trouble of printing directions for us. He really was very helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The breakfast was absolutely superb.

We certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend the B & B to any our our friends and family and hope to visit again sometime.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vonnie0902
There are newer reviews for Cheltenham Lodge

Reviewed September 2, 2012

After having researched the Chester area for our first Anniversary, we were very impressed when we found the Cheltenham Lodge and at what they had to offer. It is located very central to the city centre and is within walking distance of restaurants and bars. Both the amenities and the facilities offered were amazing and the service could not be faulted. We booked the Premier suite and found that the extra £20 for this room was well worth it as you had additional seated space and the luxury of a much larger room with a lovely layout. The overall standards were very good; however, our only fault would be the power of the shower and the visible cracks in the bathroom ceiling which are both minor details in what was an excellent stay. The choice at breakfast was very good and the hospitality was excellent, the proprietors of Cheltenham Lodge were very informative of the local and surrounding areas. A well deserved thumbs up to our hosts.

Room Tip: Choose the premier suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah0704
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Used this nicely located B&B as base of operations for our golf tour. Friendly owner. Excellent breakfast. Large Victorian villa with ambly proportioned rooms, most with a double and single bed within. All en suite. Busy road to front but quiet through night. First class choice.

Room Tip: Rooms to rear will be quieter. Has ground floor room if access needed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blott2000
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights in the premier suite. I booked this B&B after the reveiws and photos. The hosts were lovely, helpful and full of advice on the best places in Chester to visit. Breakfast was excellent. We were disappointed with our room though. It was clean, but had large cracks in the ceiling in the bathroom. Some of the paint looked in need of refreshing. There was plenty of furniture and the room was very bright but the spider splat mark above the bed and holes where hooks had been removed made the room seem tired andin need of tlc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cinders2872
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

I am sorry to hear through tripadvisor that you were unhappy with your stay with us at the Cheltenham Lodge.

I am extremely upset that you did not mention these points prior to your departure, As prior to your payment the day before you left I asked if everything was to your satisfaction and as you left on the day of departure of which on both occasions you stated that every thing was fine and making no mention of the points that you decided to reveal on tripadvisor.

I think I gave you every opportunity to air your dissatisfaction directly to me. I do disagree with you that the bedroom is tied and in need of some tlc and feel that our picture just recently taken on bed and breakfast in chester portrays a true likeness of all the rooms at the Cheltenham Lodge.

However, I do agree that the bathroom ceiling has some cracks; with all of the heavy rain we have been experiencing we had developed a leak; on the back of this we had reduced your room rate for you and feel that this more than compensated. You must have noticed that next door had scaffolding up fixing their roof that joins our property on the side that the bathroom which is where the leak originated from.

For future guests I had prior enlisted the roofer to come and fix this problem out and this wiil all be at the end of this month.

The splat over the bed that you mentioned was not of a spider, it was actually fresh strawberries that a couple that had the room prior to you, were throwing at the ceiling whilst they were in bed, I know this as I was up there picking them off and trying to clean the ceiling prior to your arrival.

You unfortunately didn’t make any mention to me on your departure that you had walked in the contents of the plastic bag coffee granules that you brought with you, into our wool light beige carpet that was only fitted last year, which also continued through all over the bathroom floor. I found this extremely disheartening as this took me all day to tidy the room prior to our next guest’s arrival. This is the problem with many people to day; they want everything to be perfect but are unwilling to look after other people’s property for future guests.

I can assure possible future guests that our rooms are of good quality and well maintained

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here recently on a city break in Chester, and the B&B was perfect. Our room (facing the rear) was large, very clean and had everything we needed, along with peace and quiet. We slept so well!

Breakfast was fantastic. A great choice and we didn't feel hungry during our entire stay. David was a wonderful host, friendly and full of information. We didn't feel it was over the top at all. It was welcoming.

There was indeed a "do not clean the room" sign if you wanted that option.

The only suggestions I have (and these did not affect our opinion of our stay at all) is that I would have liked a clock in the room, and blinds in the bathroom. There was a net curtain but I could see into the next room along so wondered if they could see me. I ended up cleaning my teeth in the dark!

If we visit Chester again I would definitely return to this B&B.

Room Tip: Rear facing are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oetzi
Reviewed July 30, 2012

ann and dave made us feel very welcome. Location was on the main rd straight into chester town centre . very good public house across road .Accomodation was brill big family room very clean and en suite bathroom my family would go back without a doubt thanks again ann and dave

Room Tip: family room was very clean and could not here and road noise what so ever
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

just returned from a weekend break with my sister in laws 3 and what a spotlessly comfortable stay well kept and the breakfast was first class would highly recomend what one person has complained about on here is petty

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends