“weekend break”

Ranked #23 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Accrington, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

ann and dave made us feel very welcome. Location was on the main rd straight into chester town centre . very good public house across road .Accomodation was brill big family room very clean and en suite bathroom my family would go back without a doubt thanks again ann and dave

Room Tip: family room was very clean and could not here and road noise what so ever
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

just returned from a weekend break with my sister in laws 3 and what a spotlessly comfortable stay well kept and the breakfast was first class would highly recomend what one person has complained about on here is petty

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I found the stay at the cl quite over bearing in the sense that David will not back off. A lot of reviews are happy with the service but I found it intrusive . You do not get the 'do not disturb' option. I was appalled to find my room had been tidied and soiled underwear had been shook out and placed on a pile of clothes. It is too familiar. We are not visiting friends, we are paying for a room and it should be left that way. I'm not against a friendly smile in the morning but a line needs to be drawn.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Trevortraveller12
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Madame

Your first written review on trip advisor and I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our service.

I have noticed that you have made no mention of how well maintained, clean and comfortable our rooms and beds were that your mother mentioned to me prior to departure and how I helped you with your luggage to your room.

All hotels and guesthouses have a duty to clean their rooms daily as this is a requirement made by the tourist board. If you don’t want your room tidied all you have to do is say. It would have saved my cleaner the trauma of having to move them (they would not have been shook out), to be able to do her job, clean. We like our guests to come back to a clean and tidy room.

However as you found our service so intrusive I have now implemented for future guests, a notice to hang on the door stating that you do not require the room to be cleaned. I put laundry bags in all of the room for used items of clothing that need to be taken home to be cleaned.

A short note to add to readers.

I am a happy, helpful person who loves his job in the service sector looking after guests, giving them advice during their visit to Chester and my home.

If you don’t require my help, please just say, I won’t be offended in any way.

Kind regards

David
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

With the rain pouring down outside, it was the most comforting thing in the world to be served the most fantastic full cooked breakfast from the charming and cheerful host. Absolutely delicious bacon, sausages and eggs - pride of Chshire. Nothing was too much trouble, and the green tea was especially appreciated. The beds were comfortable, the rooms spacious and were perfectly quiet from the noise of the traffic. Terrific value for money.

Room Tip: The downstairs family room is next to the breakfast room. Bear in mind unless you are early risers.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very disappointed - our experience differed from the other trip advisor posts. The room was large but had a musty smell, the beautiful leaded light windows had mildew growing on the inside, to the side of the shower cubicle was disgusting and had not been cleaned for some time. The breakfast was extremely limited and they didn't even have Earl Grey tea. It could be improved with very little additional effort - such a shame as the owners were lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pearceperson
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your review, however I found it quite a perturbing read. As you quite rightly state it does differ significantly from other reviews and a countless number of comments of happy guests during their stay and as they leave.

All of my rooms are freshly decorated and cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis; this has been noted by the professional hotel inspector from the AA, who each year gives us a through inspection of all of our rooms with out any notice, until their departure the next morning after breakfast.

You are correct we do not carry Earl Gray tea, as we do not personally feel that this is a valued blend of tea. However you would have been offered an alternative tea that milk should not taken with (Green Tea), of which we do stock and is of a better quality. Please understand that we are unable to stock all of the choices of tea that are available, but what we do carry is popular and of good quality. It is hard to cater to everyone’s individual taste.

With the comment of a limited choice of breakfast, I do feel that this is an incorrect comment, for people reading this review please see our new website where you can see our full breakfast menu from a full English breakfast to Scrambled eggs with smoked Salmon or for continental freshly baked croissants & pans au Chocolat with fresh fruit and yoghurt and pictures of the presentation of which the customer was offered and would have received. You will also be able to view pictures of all of our large en suit rooms.

I do wish that you would have mentioned all of your unhappiness during your 2 night stay, either on the 1st morning or even on your departure rather than leaving unhappy.

I do feel that we offer a good standard of service, breakfast and quality of rooms for the price that we charge.

Yours truly
David
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed 2 nights here, room was spotless and very comfortable, breakfast was excellent. We were made to feel very welcome from the start as Dave met us at the door. Customer service was second to none, nothing was too much trouble. Stay again, definitely and would recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed in this B&B for 3 nights over a long weekend and the room, customer service and breakfast were all excellent. The B&B is about 1 mile from Chester city centre and is an easy 15-20 minute walk along Hoole Road.

If you're staying during the week and don't like the sound of traffic in the morning I would recommend requesting a room facing the back of the B&B rather than a room facing the main road.

I would definitely return to this B&B if I stayed in Chester again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple