“New Year Break”
Review of Laburnum House

Laburnum House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Laburnum House
Ranked #67 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The friendliness of the hosts could not tempt me back to Laburnum House in Chester I'm afraid. Bad points first and I'll finish on the good ones. The rooms have not been updated for at least 20 years by the looks. Carpets were dirty and stained and in desperate need for a deep clean. Furniture and fittings very tired looking. Priced at £30 per night for a single room -so not a boutique hotel and certainly not worthy of 3 stars. Their web site is very misleading as it looks half decent. It isn't! No way is this a 3 star. Maybe 1 star!
When I arrived at 6.30pm, there was no one around to greet me and arrangements had been made for me to pick up key elsewhere. I then got up to the room , only to find I had no bath towels and bathroom was filthy....taps sticky and black hairs in shower and on tile floor. No heating in bathroom and mould in shower cubicle.
Bed sheets had seen their days – so thin they could easily rip and the pillows well passed expiry date. So hard, it felt like sleeping on hardboard. The carpet was filthy and had not even been hoovered; I couldn’t consider walking bare footed as floor was filthy, heavily stained and in need of a good hoover, so ended up wearing socks !.
Breakfast was full English and swimming in fat. There were no special provisions made for any special diet. I am a Coeliac and therefore was not able to eat any of the bread or cereals on offer. I notified the hosts on the Sunday and by Tuesday I was still not even offered a slice of gluten free bread! I was told on the Tuesday that I should bring my own, so on the Wednesday I arranged my own breakfast despite having paid for breakfast. Also your clothes smell of fat after having breakfast, as the dining room smells of cooking fat.
Good points, the hostess was very pleasant and tried very hard to be helpful. It is close to a couple of pubs and the town centre is only a 10-15 minute walk.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Wynne2014
There are newer reviews for Laburnum House

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at The Laburnum House for two nights December 5th/6th and found our stay very enjoyable.The accommodation is well located for exploring Chester being only a short walk to the city centre.The guest room we had was quite small but very cozy with a good sized bathroom.The room had a comfortable bed and plenty of storage space.An adequate breakfast was included in the room price which set us up for the day.All in all this was a good choice for us.

Room Tip: We were in ROOM 2 which was fine.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markmywords1956
Reviewed December 7, 2013

middlemoor waterpark, the waterski/jetski centre 5 mins away are always happy to send our clients to laburnum, its been 20 years since our first clients stayed there and over the decades we have sent thousands there, never heard anything but very very positive comments. It may not be 6 star but its a place where they will bend over backwards to give you what you need. we cant recommend the place highly enough, have spent many a great night there ourselves, rooms are better than travelodge thats for sure! staff are real people not corporate robots and have a sense of humour ....try it, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The friendliness and kindness of the hosts could not tempt us back to Laburnum House in Chester I'm afraid. Bad points first and I'll finish on the good ones. The rooms have not been updated for at least 20 years by the looks. Priced at £60 per night so not a boutique hotel but you want a clean shower and toilet don't you... so yes the bathroom was dirty, window broken, water was at best tepid and bed linen felt damp like it hadn't been in the dryer long enough. Lots of traffic noise and a building site across the road (not their fault) so woken early by lots of noise. I could NOT find a fire escape or escape plan anywhere and we were on the 3rd floor with very narrow steps down. Breakfast was full English but cheap sausage, bacon and beans even the ketchup was cheap. Good points, our hostess was very sweet and kind and tried very hard to be helpful. It is close to a couple of pubs and the town centre is only a 10-15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Well I'm not sure I could recommend it...sorry
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justusalone
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a quiet property on the edge of town almost adjacent to Northgate and two minute walk from town. Rooms are clean and comfortable and breakfast options allowed for vegetarians. Price is very good based on location to the city. WiFi is available in all the rooms. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rich_RT_12
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This B&B is situated just in the right place,a short walk from the town,where you can see the most beautiful buildings.The room was pleasant and clean,shower room was long and thin but a good size.The hosts were very nice,asked if we had any special diet needs etc.they also were very helpful.Breakfast was good,juice,cereal,toast,full english,tea or coffee.We only had one problem we were in room 5,ground floor next to front door where guest sometimes let the door slam on coming in or going out,plus its on the main road.But on the whole our stay was good,certainly visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Excellent B and B within 10 minutes of Chester city centre. I stayed there as I ran the marathon on the Sunday, and their first enquiry was whether I had any special breakfast requirements. Room lovely and clean, breakfast suitably calorie filled for me. I'd go back again.

• Stayed: October 2013