“A very welcome diversion”
Review of La P'tite France

La P'tite France
Ranked #3 of 562 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: French Café-Bistro in the heart of Chester. Open for lunch, afternoon, Friday and Saturday night
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A very welcome diversion”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Saturday , and we were going to the pub for lunch when we passed the "La P'tite France and as it was the first time we had passed when it was open decided to see if they had a table not having seen any previous reviews. It was superb...such a relaxed atmosphere and extremely friendly but efficient service from both the owner and the charming waitress. We got carried away and went for the full effect .... Goats cheese feuillete, mussels in cream sauce , lamb with black olives and cod with pesto and to our shame 2 proper vanilla creme brulee and a very reasonable bottle of Bordeaux ...all excellent value and lovely produce all beautifully cooked .Tables were full and the atmosphere buzzy with customers of all ages clearly enjoying the food as we were . And we had only planned on a pub sandwich !It certainly wont be the last time we divert and also made us decide to book a holiday in France again very soon. .

4 Thank Chris G

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal, great service and highly recommended.”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Please give this great restaurant a try. It is excellent and the service is polite and the food very French. It is a great shame that a previous reviewer who is clearly racist and knows nothing about food, manners, our how to conduct themselves in a public place should spoil things for others. Maybe they should stick to MacDonalds. It makes me ashamed to be British.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Susan M
Wilmslow
“Personal touch in city centre”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Small independent French restaurant in Chester city centre. Good food at sensible prices in an unpretentious environment. What made it stand out was patron's welcome and personal attention.
Keep up the good work!!

2 Thank ChrisWilmslow
Chester, United Kingdom
“Oh la la!! Fantastic..”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I went here for dinner last night, we have a bi-monthly meal out so I booked this. Definitely recommend, delicious food, good selection of wine to suit all pockets and yummy desserts. Frederic the owner was really nice and friendly and helped us with our selection from the menu. We both has steak and frites, which was really tasty(although my husband wasn't too pleased I'd had garlic butter, as I breathed on him as I went to sleep). Will definitely go back and sample more delights from the menu. See you soon Frederic!!!

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Ruthie206
“HORRENDOUS DO NOT GO!!!”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We went to this shambles of a restaurant for my parents 25th wedding anniversary as a nice treat before we went on holiday. Unfortunately we were welcomed by a girl who couldn't really speak a word of English and when we sat down she didn't understand what we wanted to drink. When looking at the menu it looked good and appetising but I wish I could say it was when it arrived. My starter was appalling, I had mussels which were full of grit and the cream sauce may have been water it was that thin. My main meal arrived (the pork) which was as white as the plate it was on, as I tried to cut into it my knife actually flicked off the plate it was that tough. The waitress come over and asked if everything was ok, I said no actually my pork is tough so she got the 'owner' to come over. He then asked what was the problem so I explained and his reply was we have made lots of these dishes tonight and no one has complained. Which I replied with what you actually should have said was I'm sorry about that and il get you a new one made up straight away. He took the rudest tone with me and I really haven't ever been spoken to like that by a person who's wages I'm actually paying. As we were leaving the 'owner' and his wife and another chap were stood outside smoking their heads off and we just simply said you shouldn't have spoken to us like that in there you are the worst front of house we have ever come across. And his reply was the most patronising respond I have ever heard he told us to write 3 reports on here and we will also be writing a review in the chronicle about the diabolical service and food in this shed of a restaurant. I do not recommend anyone to ever eat at this place I don't know how they have become 1st on trip advisor.

26 Thank Lolapenney13
Frederic L, Owner at La P'tite France, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Now you have exposed your side of the story, please let me give you my side of the story (you probably won’t like it…).
First of all you did book by phone a week before your visit and you were quite arrogant over the phone raising the fact you couldn’t understand us (with a bit more effort, you would be able to understand us because both of us speak fluent English, me and the waitress who welcome you and our English is certainly much better than your French, but I do understand now your problem and I will let everybody know at the end of this reply).
But this is not the most important, so you came yesterday and straight when you arrived we could see you didn’t book at the right place (we are not your type of restaurant). You should tell me when you arrived sorry but I think we have booked in the wrong place and everything would be fine but instead you’ve decided to stay, fair enough.
I think you have also misunderstood the difference between a slave and a waiter so yes after a certain point I had enough of your table especially when you all started to complain about everything. When you called me to tell me your pork was to tough I have just said “Oh I am surprise because we have sold quite few tonight and I didn’t get any trouble with it but I will cook an other one for you” at this point you told me “how rude you are, that’s not the reply you should give, you should say sorry I will change it now” sorry madame but I am not a student I am a real professional waiter and the owner as well so when people complain I would like to know why, because if we need to rectify something it is always better to have a reason. But this is your right to think I was rude. After that your mother complained about her steak telling me her Very Well Done steak was not tender and juicy (I think I don’t even need to justify myself with this complain) and your father call me back to tell me is steak asked medium-rare was to rare so I offered him to cook it slightly more. When I came back from the kitchen you called me to tell me “sir you are to rude so we are going to pay for our drink and starter and we are going to leave” and I brought your bill, you paid and you staid about half hour after paying because you realized you have paid for a bottle of wine you haven’t finished.
I couldn’t do more for you so like it was the end of the service we’ve decided to go outside for a quick cigarette with my wife, which is the chef.
You decided to come the three of you to have “a fight” with us (that’s what the table next to you told me when I came back into the restaurant) and effectively you were not really friendly and using swearing words. A customer who was stopping by to say hello to us was really surprise with your language and told you at a certain point sorry but I think you should be a bit more polite and you father reply to him using the C word. Sorry Mr Cedric for that you were just here to say hello. So I did ask you to be a bit more polite with our customer and your father started to raise his hand over my head like he wanted to slap me.
So I think I had the right attitude with you, and I do not regret the way I behaved with you especially when you mother told me “but you are French, so you shouldn’t live in our country, you should live in France we don’t need you in our country”. I cant cope with racist people so yes you are not welcome in our restaurant any more and shame on you for your attitude when we work in a newspaper like the Chronicle in Chester we should be more open mind.
I just want to thank you for the free advertising in the newspaper next week (bad or good it’s still advertising).
Fred Lolliot